The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mazzy Star sound, anyone?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Mazzy Star sound, anyone?

Anyone know how Mazzy Star recorded their albums? They had such an interesting sound.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

i believe it's heroin.

fade into you.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Reverberations!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

yeah, to be honest the production doesn't really sound very 'interesting', to me - just nice songs with a nice voice and a ****ing shedload of reverb over everything.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
What´s interesting to me is that it doesn´t really sound like anything else I´ve heard. Something about how her voice sounds intimate despite all the reverb. I´m curious about how that´s done, because when I use a ton of reverb, everything seems to lose impact/definition and the whole mix sounds like sh**.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

even the chemical brothers songs she did, the production is very minimal and low key. i always imagine walking through a forest whenever i hear her voice. i dunno.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Must. Eq. Reverb. Sends.

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
What´s interesting to me is that it doesn´t really sound like anything else I´ve heard. Something about how her voice sounds intimate despite all the reverb. I´m curious about how that´s done, because when I use a ton of reverb, everything seems to lose impact/definition and the whole mix sounds like sh**.
Probably better off asking on a shoegaze forum rather than electronic music production..? Those lot soak everything in reverb.. heh

Nothing special about the recordings I can hear, just a mass of reverb...compress the vocal and use pre-delay to seperate the voice from the reverb to get some definition around the vocal.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ah, pre-delay. I forgot all about pre-delay, cause I usually use a minimal amount of reverb. Thanks, will try that.
Cheers!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

What song are you talking about? Post a youtube link here.
Old 16th September 2011
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Hey Spacestation,
I adjusted the pre-delay and realized that was exactly what I was looking for. Feel kind of stupid for forgetting about it. But will bury my pride and get on with it.
Thanks!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Spacestation,
I adjusted the pre-delay and realized that was exactly what I was looking for. Feel kind of stupid for forgetting about it. But will bury my pride and get on with it.
Thanks!
Thats cool, glad to have helped.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
What song are you talking about? Post a youtube link here.
like there was more than one?

Fade into You is what everyone knows, but those that know knew about Halah BEFORE it was in that movie.

i have a bunch of Mazzy Star seven inches some place.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hope Sandoval's voice is incredible - very haunting and delicate. Check this out:

Mazzy Star :: Into Dust - YouTube
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
Hope Sandoval's voice is incredible
Her albums with the Warm Inventions are awesome.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What´s interesting to me is that it doesn´t really sound like anything else I´ve heard.
I guess you never heard the Cowboy Junkies then
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, I´ve heard Cowboy Junkies. The difference (imo) is that, though Mazzy Star also has tons of reverb, they retain some kind of solidity in the bottom end. What I didn´t like about CJ is that EVERYTHING was drenched in reverb (I think they recorded in a church?), so kick drum, bass etc didn´t have any power/depth. It ended up kind of folksy/woody, while MS has a more dark, ethereal rock vibe to it, which I find more mesmerizing, I guess.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Fade into You is what everyone knows, but those that know knew about Halah BEFORE it was in that movie.
What movie?

My favorite track she sings on is "Sometimes Always".

OP, You might dig these, if you haven't heard them, similar vibe:

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I´ve heard Cowboy Junkies. The difference (imo) is that, though Mazzy Star also has tons of reverb, they retain some kind of solidity in the bottom end. What I didn´t like about CJ is that EVERYTHING was drenched in reverb (I think they recorded in a church?), so kick drum, bass etc didn´t have any power/depth. It ended up kind of folksy/woody, while MS has a more dark, ethereal rock vibe to it, which I find more mesmerizing, I guess.
I would have to agree. The other difference, the most important one, is that CJ doesn't/didn't have Hope Sandoval.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But will bury my pride and get on with it.
Thanks!
If only more people on internet forums acted like this, the world would be a better place! Winning.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Axs, the reason your reverb is making everything sound muddy and distant is because you are not eqing the reverb. Do this send drums for example to a buss, then make a drum reverb from your main buss. Pic the best eq that you feel fits the sound in your mind. Then after the reverb add an eq. Add a low pass and high pass to the eq to avoid any unwanted lowend or high end build up. Presto changeo. Saturated reverb without muddy confusion. Thank me later.

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

She certainly made this song special...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search