The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP ME! Korg Mono/Poly or Sequential Circuits Pro~One? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

This belongs on every M/P thread.

Note the aggression it's capable of on the glue sniffer song XD
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Xanderbeanz. Every time I watch that vid, I mysteriousley find myself looking at my setup, wondering what I could loose to fund a MP.

Once again. Awesome demo!!
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

You have plenty of creamy analogues and a couple that do crazy stuff (ala dark energy) so all the terrain in my demo is covered. I knew I could only afford one vintage analogue monosynth and needed bang for buck so after much umming and ahhing got the M/P (almost got a cs30 but didn't want to spend another 6 months saving) as it does so much so well, but with your setup, all you're really missing out on is that crazy arp and the cool 80's M/P logo.

GAS averted?
Old 21st December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

fantastique!
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

i dunno ... there's something to that string sound ... very unique imho ... but i agree that it's a better mono than poly ... can be quiet moogy

and please ... no dubstep with the mono/poly;-) jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
woo! zombie thread!

to be honest i didn't really like that pad patch ..
if anything, it shows that the mono-poly is best left in mono mode.

love the synth BTW.

of the two i would have to vote pro1. is a bit of a yin and yan situation.

pro one is more useful.. this is a perfect case of 'get both' though as they are at different ends of the tone spectrum.

OP what did you end up getting?
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Xander illustrates what the MP can do... The Pro One is a killer mono...Very crisp,, great mod routings...wacky and well conceived. Built as a budget Moog killer, compteting with the Micromoog.. It's a very cool synth. However,,, SOme mis information here on the Mono Poly... it's far from thin or bad sounding.. In fact, overall, it's much smoother than the Pro One.. ( SEm oscillators) but it can get extremely nasty when you use the X mod and the FX modes...The Pro One cant's do those sounds..and that's only one small side to the MP.... It was never designed as a Poly..kind of a mis labeling thng on Korgs part. But if you use it in Poly mode,, you can set it up to get some very obscure 4 voice poly results.. very unique in that respect... It shines big time when you use the Arp in Poly mode.. and it is also a very fat solo mono machine if you know how to dial it in.. Someone mentioned "Moogish" yes.. I agree.. but don't expect to get it home and instantly get great sounds out of it until you master it fully. it's not for the novice synthesist.
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I made a low sync sound the other day that almost made me s*** my pants, I dunno about you, but that's what I'd call a phat synth XD
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

That lead sound you got at 7:29 onwards is really really nice and mellow. Has a slight moogy charactor.
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I owned both for about 18 months, and I miss only one: the MP. It's just so unique, I can't really describe it any better than that. They both have plenty of character, but the MP is truly special, and can go from smooth to way out there nasty.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Nut

Old thread.. I wonder what he got in the end...

I own a Pro~One and the Polysix

I've always lusted after the Mono/poly because I love the sound of the Polysix and the extra range of parameters on the MP plus 4 oscs must be able to make some massive mean sounds.
I've never had a chance to play a MP and have only seen one in the flesh once, wanted one ever since

The polysix has that distinct smooth cool korg sound it is a great synth my first one and probably still my fave, does the MP sound similar tone wise? or does it have a different flavour?

The Pro-one is very different creature altogether the build quality and pysical feel of it is totally different for a start it feels kind of crude and clunky.
The sound is totally different too, it is more raw, dry, crude and upfront. I find it harder to tame than the polysix, yet you'll be tweaking away away and then all of a sudden this awesome gnarly sound will leap out at you, very impressive. Another thing I notice with the Pro-one is that it often makes sounds which seem drab on their own but when dropped in a mix work in really nicely.

Just my thoughts for future readers, would appreciate responses from people familiar with both the Polysix and Mono/Poly re sound comparison..

Cheers,

Smaug
Old 10th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

didnt run into this before but Xander, hats off to you... all tracks in the vid are great, but the last one was just retro fantastic... the arrangement, the sounds, everything..

loved the stab brass chords, the lead.. its SSM liquidy tone in action, than can sometimes be moogy (SSM2044 is basically a ladder on a chip). so, MP and Pro One are apples and oranges really. as Pro One has completely oposite character of this. its punchy, agressive, sparkly, sexy... probably best example of Curtis sound.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks I wouldn't mind a pro one but probably will go for a moog synth next (source or phatty or that new one that'll be out this year). I hope i managed to show that the M/P can also be aggressive (ie that crazy sequence in the glue sniffer song lol)

Anyhow, it's been my only analogue monosynth for the last year and I've been very happy
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Nothing but love for the M/P here! I would keep my M/P over my Pro One without much hesitation if forced to make a choice between the two. M/P just covers so much ground that many other synths (not just the Pro One) cant touch. And just because it can go crazy doesn't mean that it can only go crazy. You can get some ridiculously aggressive syncs, creamy leads, ethereal strings out of it, and the arpeggiator in poly mode is completely unlike anything on any other synth, especially when using the FX and LFOs/envelopes tastefully (or distastefully - works just as well!)

Pro One is great, but doesn't do anything unimaginable by any other monosynth. It's got great tone and some good mod capabilities, but nothing mindblowing in my opinion. I could live without it and use another mono synth to cover its job without it ruining my day.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

So it's 18 months later and my Mono/Poly is still my only VCO based monophonic, though I'll be grabbing an MS20 mini for sure, I hope this is proof that it can be used as your only monosynth, you need to use the 4 oscs right, triangles combined with PWM or phasey saws to match the Roland Sh's 2 oscs, but look at the flexibility you gain! it's not immediately big sounding unless you know instinctively what you're doing, but the potential is there.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Have both. Mono/Poly is more fun and inspiring. The layout and modulation architecture of the synth is unique.

The Pro-one is a really good monosynth, but there are a LOT of modern monosynths at the moment, I think it's hard to justify the current going price for a mint pro-one.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
DSI Mopho?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
I agree. For the kind of money you are going to she'll out for either used synth, a Mopho keyboard or the new Moog Sub Phatty would be a much better choice. They will be new, much more reliable, and still sound great!
Old 14th February 2013
Don't recommend either if you are new to jumping into analog.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search