The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
kurzweil k2xxx Keyboard Workstations
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

kurzweil k2xxx

hehAll right so I am having gas for a kurzweill k2500r or 2600r .
At the moment I don't have acces to my other gear ( nord modular, yamaha sample,r laptop etc...) so I am considering picking up a workstation that can do some synthesis , seems the kurzweil series are great .
Now I've got a cuople of questions , the effects card kdfx can't be inserted in the k2000 so Ia m looking for a 2500 or 2600 with included kdfx and sample input card , but I was wondering can I use the k2500/2600 as an effects processor without the extra input board , so is the kdfx and sample board enough to use it as an effects processor ?
Also , im more into experimental /technoish/idm ...been using renoise and reaktor and nord modular ..but due to some space restrictions I can't use them at the moment ( living on a small boat for the moment ...wil the kurz be able to fullfil some of my needs ...iow...can I get totally gceazy with it ?
How is the sequencer ..

cheers
Old 16th September 2011
I think the rackmount K2600 with the sampler would be exactly what you are looking for. You cannot use the effects onboard with external gear properly without the sampler. It can handle converted samples without the sampler and you can then apply the kdfx to those. But Live Mode is only available with the sampler installed.

So yes that would be enough to use it as an effects processor with some stipulations: You would then have to set up a program that essentially created a switch that was the equivalent of pressing c4 so that sound passes through the board. I have the k2661s and was trying to use it this way as well and found I had to press the C key to allow sound through, there is a way to program it so that it reads like that key is pressed. Or you could just tape it down.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

I was just about to start a Kxxx GAS thread of my own, I hope you don't mind me slipping in a question here instead: how involved and nuts-and-boltsy is VAST programming? How does the programming experience compare to that of, say, a Blofeld, an FS1R, MAX/MSP? I'm quite at ease in the depths of Waldorfs (Waldorves?) but I'm getting terminally burned out by MAX-like programming—it's just much too low-level for productive musical use. Would I end up in trouble with a Kurzweil?

I did flip briefly through bits of the K2000 manual and I got the impression of something like the Yamaha FM algorithm thing but with a choice of modules instead of mere FM operators. Is that right?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had some GAS for a Kurzweil for a while too, to the extent that i sold my XV5080 so i could buy a second hand K3500RS with a 4 gig scsi HD built in. Well i guess it's a wonderfull machine, in a 90's way, but i have to say that in this day and age, these old kurzweils don't impress too ,much anymore.

Sure, it's all audiophile quality, but what's the point of that if say your piano sounds like it's based on 1 or 2 samples. I wouldn't want to use any of the 'realistic' instruments it features, and those are featured pretty heavily on the K2XXX range.

The synth sounds are pretty good though.. there are some lovely pads in there, and basses and leads and whatnot. Though it wasn't really anything that most other digital synths nowadays can do too.

So to conclude: i missed my XV5080. It's way easier to program and, and you can even download software so you can program it using your PC with a wonderfull GUI. And to be honest, i thought the XV5080 (and now the XV3080 with 3 expansion boards which i bought after i sold the Kurz) sound every bit as good as the kurz. In the end, i think the XV synths are much more useful in my setup.

I like to program my own sounds on a synth, and while it's not particularly hard to do on the K2500, it's just not intuitive at all.. in fact i found it tedious. Say i want to change an envelope on a sound consisting of 3 layers. OK i press edit on the front panel, then you look for the proper algorhythm block that does the envelopes, go in there, then somehow find attack in there (the envelope system is a bit weird), adjust it and then you've finally adjusted the attack. 1 layer down, 2 more to go if you want to adjust those too.. if you want to adjust the release too, start from the beginning all over again.

Anyway.. that's just my experience with it. It's a fine beast, sounds gorgeous, just don't compare it with more contemporary machines because it'll make you feel like you're once again stuck somewhere in the 90s, where menu diving, alpha dials and cursors were all the business :P
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista View Post
I was just about to start a Kxxx GAS thread of my own, I hope you don't mind me slipping in a question here instead: how involved and nuts-and-boltsy is VAST programming? How does the programming experience compare to that of, say, a Blofeld, an FS1R, MAX/MSP? I'm quite at ease in the depths of Waldorfs (Waldorves?) but I'm getting terminally burned out by MAX-like programming—it's just much too low-level for productive musical use. Would I end up in trouble with a Kurzweil?

I did flip briefly through bits of the K2000 manual and I got the impression of something like the Yamaha FM algorithm thing but with a choice of modules instead of mere FM operators. Is that right?
More or less. There are a bunch of algorithms (31 i think) which consist of a number of building blocks. In each block you can select what that block is going to do from a list of functions, which are predefined for each algorithm.

So for example in algo 1 you have:

Block 1 - block 2 - - block 3

Pitch - hifreq stimulator - amp

Other options in block 2:
- Parametric EQ
- Steep resonant bass
- 4pole lopass w/sep
- 4pole hipass w/sep
- twin peaks bandpass
- double notch w/sep
- none

So for block 2 you can choose one of those items. Mind you, if you want a simple LP filter with variable resonance, you have to find an algorithm that features these functions.. variable resonance is not a given. Some filters have no res at all, and some have a fixed setting.

Anyway, it's a really flexible system, and i suppose you can really get lost in it if you have the patience and time to do so. The funny thing is that for most sounds i want/need, i can make those on either my Andromeda or XV3080 in a few minutes, whereas it looks i'm going to need hours for the Kurz..

Have a look at all the algo's over here:

Kurzweil Music Systems - K2500 Reference Guide Chapter 07 DSP Algorithms - Synth Manuals

That should give you a good impression.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

reason I want to go for the kurz , is because it seems like the only synth with with an adequate enough sequencer and in depth s+s synthesis ..
I haven't been making music now for 2 months ( k-laptop died ) and can't acces my other gear .
So I wantsomething that's not too expensive on the second hand market ( 500 euro ) and has enough depth to full fill my needs .
Also been thinking about an rs 7000 but I think I'll go for the kurz , If I don't like it I can sell it
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

oh yeah ,, how is the drum programming on the kurz and the included seq.
I'am a hardcore renoise user , I know it won't be able to replace it , but is it adequate enough , the sequencer seems to have a high ppqn ( 960 or something ) ...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

SyntheticMachines's Channel - YouTube

This may give you more Gas. This German does great little tunes on all types of synths. This is a K2000 and it is giving me gas.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search