The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite low-end secret weapons... Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Lexicon: Vortex
Make that 3 of us. I really need the exp pedal and double taps to get ultimate flexibility out of it, but some of the sounds are just fantastic. The Choirs and Shimmers really add some serious depth and things like Bleen are just nutso Hopefully as I get my new setup together I can get to start using it more again. I've mostly used it w/my guitars in the past. With a Minibrute and Minitaur both ordered, I'll make sure to try them both out on it
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Nut

Afro fuzz on vocals

Yamaha portasound pss480 synth. Sounds badass and huge played out of its built in speakers into my beyer930s.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Maniac

low end freg-wise or money wise??

a true money-wise low-end i use is a Sony walkman WM-D6C for giving some mojo to drumbeats sometimes..it has pitch witch is cool.. nothings like a tape-pitch.. and the ability to choose casettes..hi end,low end.. record with low volume gives tape noice etc etc.. it´s just a cheap studio colour box.. very nice..

low-end freq-wise is a JLM peq-500 (pulteq like clone.. makes bass sound lie dark choklate)
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

i like combining a bassline and a sine wave playing an octave below. I use trilian for all my bass, and the samples sines from the moog, sh101, and arp2600 are just killer. i'll group that with a juno bassline bussed to the waves kramer mpx in mono, sounds amazing!
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

yamaha sy22
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

I don't know whether it qualifies as low end as it was high end in 1983. But it's very cheap nowadays and still delivers the blast.

Yamaha DX7
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

focusrite compounder does some great things to the low end with its bass enhancer
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

A real synth for Low end like the SE-1. or any Native waveform stripped of it's high end frequencies with a quality HPF.
I actually finally heard a quality Trio of Filters for Native after all of these years that track audio rate using SilentWay.
Cant mention them now, but you'll see them soon enough.
Even your typical Native sounding HPF Filter works great on Sine, Square and Pulse.
Old 17th March 2012
Ohx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsterjim View Post
A real synth for Low end like the SE-1. or any Native waveform stripped of it's high end frequencies with a quality HPF.
I actually finally heard a quality Trio of Filters for Native after all of these years that track audio rate using SilentWay.
Cant mention them now, but you'll see them soon enough.
Even your typical Native sounding HPF Filter works great on Sine, Square and Pulse.
But a HPF removes the lower frequencies... Not the high ones...
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Alesis Midiverb II
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Cheap (but good) ART studio mp studio tube preamp with a high gain tube. Slam anything to hell running though it.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dog View Post
Alesis Midiverb II
+1 makes a great fuzz for synths too, just lay into him good and smile.....
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime123 View Post
yamaha sy22
Gotta second that, love mine for its dark clausterphobic sound. That and the TG500.
Old 20th May 2012
TJP
Gear Maniac

Just got a midiverb 3 cheap as chips (35 bucks). Planned to use it for drum/ perc-loops and stuff. Anybody doin the same? Or is it all about plugins now?
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
It's intended to be used on vocals, but basically it's pitch to MIDI (with pitch bend and volume) plus four MIDI controlled pitch shifters. It's got two modes, one for ordinary pitch shifting (static or MIDI controlled), and "harmonize" mode where it attempts to detect the input pitch and shift it to the desired notes (set either from the panel or over MIDI). The four pitch shifters are individually controllable, so you can put in a single static tone and use a MIDI keyboard to play chords with it. Especially this mode gets quite weird if you don't send it the kind of signal it's expecting, or apply feedback or whatever. You can even connect the MIDI output to the input for extreme strangeness. I get perverse joy from making the oddest sounds possible from simple gear, so the VP-70 is a real delight. It's a glitch record in a single rack space. I got it for $50. I've attached a sample; it's just the VP-70 and a Casio MT-68.

And speaking of which, the Casio VA-10 is another winner. It's got a similar pitch tracking thing and is even capable of composing its own aleatoric elevator music from talk radio, thanks to its "harmony arranger" feature. I modified mine in a very peculiar way, but haven't finished it.

I've got one of those too. It's ok if you really want an SPX90 for like $30, but mine's collecting dust. The ensemble algorithm is alright. They recycled some of the same chips and algorithms in a number of more useful boxes, like the FX900. But in 2011 I'm not sure they're worth bothering with, at any price.
That sounds awesome! Very cool, man
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Best advice i can give for low end...

Low cut filter @ 35 hz

Reduce 300 hz *no mans land*

Small boost @ 100 hz

No matter what kind of bass you're running, these eq tips will make it 10x better
Not if you're doing Drum and Bass, you want your main kick to peak at 70-100hz not the sub or mid bass.

Waves Lo-Air and Fabfilter-L are 2 ones I will share. Fabfilter 1st, then Lo-Air, best to wear nappies while doing this.

Remember E0 is the lowest many systems will play well @~41.0hz

This combo over just a simple filtered MS-20 Sq or even a sine can turn your speakers into an a handy room cooling device the amount of air that comes out of the ports. You really need sub good bass to use Lo-air, or you can check in headphones but that's not as much fun.

That's just for pure sub bass.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Favorite low-end "secret weapon"?

dbx 166 compressor. The original blackface.

Yes, there are far better compressors out there... but this one is special. It just sounds so... well, fabulously low-end -- but NOT cheap. Everything I put through it comes out with this cool sheen that is difficult for me to get using only plugins. I will actually print tracks to tape running through this thing, without concern that I might regret it later. It sounds especially good on synth bass and drum machines. I'll occasionally even run vocals through it.

Not the choice of connoisseurs -- but definitely one to have in the rack if you aren't afraid to "ruin" your sound ;-)
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Art Tube MP Studio V3. An inexpensive way to give drums some saturation. I have two for stereo needs. (If anyone knows an affordable stereo tube saturation effect with a warm sound, I'd be glad to hear suggestions.)

I'm not sure if the Casio CZ series counts as low-end, but they sell for pennies these days and are good value for money.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Secret weapons are secret.
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Maniac

Eq.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe has been mentioned already but a known favorite low-end secret plug-in is CamelPhat.
Old 21st May 2012
Deleted be0c6fb
The elusive Favorite low-end secret weapons...CFM2500 sampler. It had a very humble production run back in the 80's, and a lot of people don't know about it. The sounds that it produces are simply heavenly and full of organic warmth, much in part do to the use of magnetic media to sample and playback audio. It is also ultra compact and will fit on your desk right next to your TB-303 without any problems. People are sleeping on this one.
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear Maniac

alesis 3630/3632 does the telephone-compression like no other, sound like you push sounds thru a straw.. cool.
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear Maniac

and all 12bit reverbs i tryid.
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegaso View Post
Secret weapons are secret.
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear Maniac

Alesis S4+
Ensoniq SQR32
Yamaha Magicstomp
Old 23rd May 2012
Alesis 3632 for sidechain pumping. Great comp for that.
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear Maniac

alesis quadraverb
alesis 3630 or 3632
akai s1100
Old 11th June 2012
Deleted User
akai s612
Midiverb 1
quadraverb
Tascam 244 recorder
Powertran digital delay
Akai 4000 reel to reel
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Addict

Korg Symphony Module (choir preset only)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search