The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I love creating electonica w?vocal, but I don't like it as a listener... odd? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love creating electonica w?vocal, but I don't like it as a listener... odd?

I'm partial to creating music with vocals, if even just textural, but for some reason, as a listener, I'm tired of the generic diva vocal.

I know this sounds like a funny topic, but where do you guys land, either as listeners or musicians?

Am I being hypocritical?

(And it applies to any electronic genre and seems to be specific to electronica in general... for me)

-andrews
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

You are only hypocritical if you incorporate diva vocals.

I'm getting tired of autotuned vocals. If the idea is to bring an element of humanity in the track roboticizing it defeats the purpose.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
You are only hypocritical if you incorporate diva vocals.

I'm getting tired of autotuned vocals. If the idea is to bring an element of humanity in the track roboticizing it defeats the purpose.
Amen to that!

And yeah, I may play a diva on the internet, but I don't sound much like one behind a mic heh

-andrews
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

My own electronic music is purely instrumental, and in general, I prefer EM without vocals. Other genres, no problem, singing is great. But for EM, I really just want the music and the sound.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
My own electronic music is purely instrumental, and in general, I prefer EM without vocals. Other genres, no problem, singing is great. But for EM, I really just want the music and the sound.
I know, I know, me too.

A few exceptions are vocals that are almost textural like Underworld's approach.
Old 16th September 2011
aha so your a diva!

I like a good vocal, the emphasis here being "good, quality, intelligent, meaningful, etc". In both electonica and house it can really make a track special, but yeah spare me the 'baby get on the dancefloor" ****e. For techno vocals just don't work usually imo.

You've seen Stateless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Unless your Alexander Robotnick

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love all vocals (especially diva vocals)
But I do enjoy a good instrumental track, although I even like my instrumentals to have bits and pieces of speech in them, not sung.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Also, somewhat unrelated but you brought it up so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Am I being hypocritical?
Making music solo is a supremely egotistical act where you need nobody's permission to do anything. There is no code of honor. There is no guilt. The things that burden your consciousness are your own, and you put them there yourself.

All is fair in love and war - and music, and the din of a dozen synthesizer nerds on a forum matters none heh

Vocals are probably the cheapest way for a producer to add a human element to a track. It doesn't require learning another instrument that cannot be remote-controlled. The voice is an unique element that contrast all synthesizers (and regular instruments, too), and lyrics can bring instant meaning to a piece of music, no matter how shallow. They can be rebuilt and repurposed with relative ease to fit the track.

I don't know if many electronic tracks have the orchestration concept like in classical music where instruments imitate scenery, or where they create the image of people communicating - call and response. The flow doesn't usually lend itself to this, or perhaps I'm just not good in identifying this kind of thing. But vocals are sort of "instant-humanizing, just add water" kind of deal, giving you instant contrast to what would otherwise be the result of machinery.

What you say about generic diva stuff - music has to tell a story (I'm going to ignore all replies about noise music and people arguing O RLY).

Like the "baby get on the dancefloor" crud - that's not telling a new story, or a particularly deep one. It has no development. Any songstress is virtually interchangeable with another, moreso if stable pitch is no longer a requirement. If you wish to have development and depth, using something interchangeable is not the way to go.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love good vocals, it's just that vocals over EM are often just throwaways. Even when the singer is good, the lyrics usually suck. Especially in dance tracks.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

For EM i enjoy some "oohs and aahs" and similars, some spoken words, but singing lyrics is annoying, at least for me.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'm tired of the generic diva vocal.
I like voices with character - Janis Joplin's voice had some serious character and life behind it. I was listening to Portishead the other day -- she has some serious nuance where she can go from cold vampire to Billy Holiday in a second. On the male vocal side I think the Prodigy guy brings that Johnny Lydon good-natured hooligan energy and I like MC Conrad who "raps/mcs" over LTJ Bukem sets. My personal favorite is Cheb I Sabbah who uses real ragis for mantras and kirtan -- he has it locked down the best IMHO.

It is hard to emotionally get behind anything generic in terms of art, writing, film, people. It's a shame because generic and professional can easily become confused.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Sometimes - at least for me - vocals of the track raise it completely different level compared to having just pure instrumental track. E.g. vocals on the following tracks get my heart.

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search