The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
French house - how??????????????? Helppp Turntables
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

French house - how??????????????? Helppp

hey guys, in the last 2 weeks i just read and read everthing that i can about
how to do french house, i read and i know that is about sidechaining, over compression, gates,
and more.

but i think that a lot of the posts can't get that it is a TECHNIQUE.
oll of the ed banger's guys sound the same (but everyone with his own style).

somebody knows what is the technique that they use? if there is gruops? sidechaining what to what?

i tried to put few number of sounds in one group (as part of the whole track) with compressor on it and one more comprresor with sidechain and it's geting closer but still, this is not the same.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

French house as in filter disco? It's not really all that hard but part of the magic is flipping the same rinsed samples and writing the tune behind it.

1. Sample vinyl for catchy disco loop.
2. EQ appropriately/remove drums/vocals as you see fit.
3. Sample vinyl drum hits (breaks work well).
4. Alesis 3630 Compressor (everything).
5. Cheap gear like guitar pedals.
6. ****ty cigarettes.

Profit?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
don't bath for a week...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
don't bath for a week...
Only bath once a week whether you need to or not.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

i heard that might help

Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

hey tomer, been trying to get my head around the ed banger sound myself.. mr oizo, sebastiAn and justice specifically.

as deep-disco mentioned, it all does comes down to micro-sampling sound-wise. compress the f*** outta your samples (everything in general). check this out https://www.gearslutz.com/board/tips-...ectronica.html

The part where he talks about compressing the master track with the kick as its sidechain input should help more in achieving that choppiness staccato, pumping feel in general in their sound..

Also check https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...rap-after.html
Chrisac explains everything very accurately especially - the hip-hop/mpc style approach of setting up a sampler, with monophonic one shot samples of different bits n sections of your tune and playing with them.. THIS in particular is an excellent method.

Besides that lots of distortion, bit crushers , limiting to taste..

One thing that i juss cant figure is how sebastiAn achieves that ultra deep PUNCH in his kicks, that perfect low-midish punch while retaining the low-end. Have tried various methods, layering an 808 with a kick sampled from vinyl (70's soul n funk) with the right kind of eq'ing n compression on both, so that one kick emphasises the low end vice-versa. Still just can't seem to get close enough..

It would be great if Simonator and the other drum-knowledgable slutz expand a little on this. Trust me when i say that ive read ALL the justice/ed banger/kickdrum theory threads that you might link me too and ive learned a fair deal from them, but i juss love sebastiAn's drum tone and can't replicate that for the life of me. Help on this would be awesome!!..

P.s- This concludes my first post co-incidentally hehe, been hangin out here since a while though and have learned a whole lot from everyone and love the forum... Cheers n thanks!!!!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict
extreme side chaining that link it says to sidechain with a kickdrum track that has no volume, not your actuall kickdrum for the track.do many people do this? i just sidechain my bass using the actual kickdrum for the song.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

The article says- After a section you like in the song or say for example after a four bar loop MUTE the ACTUAL KICK in ur mix (not the side-chain source) and insert a compressor on the master track with this ACTUAL KICK as the side-chain source...This will give you that stop/start feeling if that makes sense to you, something like a 1/4th note rest(silence) on that part.. Pretty cool....

P.S- Any help on the sebastiAn drums guys....ANYONE??
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

fwiw, Ed Banger is not french touch.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid435 View Post
extreme side chaining that link it says to sidechain with a kickdrum track that has no volume, not your actuall kickdrum for the track.do many people do this? i just sidechain my bass using the actual kickdrum for the song.
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to have something pump when you have no kick drum playing (breakdown or whatever) then sidechain that part to a silent kick. If you are sidechaining to keep your kick and bass from clashing, then sidechain to the kick that is playing.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifstar View Post
fwiw, Ed Banger is not french touch.
Thats true. Ed Banger fits into the electro-house bracket imo, or dark-disco/punk-house/insert/insert or whatever they are calling it these days haha...The fellow does specifically mention being stuck in a rut with the ed banger stuff, so thats accurate enough i guess....So help anyone??...
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'll offer a specifically composition based framework for what these people have said enough.

1) Generate some materials you love. Super-compressed, hard hits, screams, sirens, get out some distortion pedals, etc;
2) Set up a basic drum beat and really work on getting that big kick/sound. Layering is key here! PROTIP: Add the end of a crash of HH "ohh" to your snare sound and throw some verb on it for bigness.
3) Throw some of those things from 1 into a sampler, beatslice them (Machfive2 is the **** for this) and play to your heart content. I often play these samples with intentional sloppiness, then quantize. It helps me get that Banger sound.

Now the question is taste: What are you going to add that the Banger crew hasn't already? If it is for a stylistic film project, great, but otherwise, mix in at least a couple of dissimilar elements.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

all dem french heads seem to love the sp12/sp1200
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
all dem french heads seem to love the sp12/sp1200
Truth. That Emu gives you so much crunch on the drums its amazing. I'd love to have one for that 12-bit punch but they are so expensive these days.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_disco View Post
Truth. That Emu gives you so much crunch on the drums its amazing. I'd love to have one for that 12-bit punch but they are so expensive these days.
I don't mean to burst your knowledge bubble, but the 1200 series is not an Emu product.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
What are you talking about???

An Emu SP-1200 is an amazing sampler!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ok I get it...you were correcting us...its E-mu not Emu

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/sp1200.php
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
Ok I get it...you were correcting us...its E-mu not Emu

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/sp1200.php
Yes, they are obviously not even remotely the same thing.

Forums full of intelligent people always nitpick exact semantics, I just wanted to feel like a part of something for once in my life!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Yes, they are obviously not even remotely the same thing.

Forums full of intelligent people always nitpick exact semantics, I just wanted to feel like a part of something for once in my life!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
lol. Next thing you know you'll be studying for the bar.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMurphyMusic View Post
I'll offer a specifically composition based framework for what these people have said enough.

2) Set up a basic drum beat and really work on getting that big kick/sound. Layering is key here! PROTIP: Add the end of a crash of HH "ohh" to your snare sound and throw some verb on it for bigness.
Hey, thats precisely the part i can't figure.. I understand what u say in 1) and 3) perfectly, but i can't quite get that big kick sound inspite of layering.
By end of a crash of HH, you mean just using its release right??.. I layer the snare with claps(slightly off-beat not exactly over the snare) and it sounds pretty close..

I Still have no clue how sebastiAn/justice make those big deep-punchy kicks though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search