The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Ever Happened To Future Retro's XS-Ories XS Expansion Plans? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

What Ever Happened To Future Retro's XS-Ories XS Expansion Plans?

In an email which must be a few years old now Jared outlined new expansion modules for the XS. Anyone know what's going on?

"We are working on at least 3 new XS-ories. I'm really waiting until we have an idea of what each will include before making any of them, so they all will have similar form factors, and can easily work together if rack mounted.

So far we have planned:
CV mixing with inverting
VC panning/crossfader/VCA
Analog sample and hold, clock generator, lag processor
Multiple colored noise
Pre-amp, envelope follower, gate generator
Multiples patching
Analog LFO with multiple waveforms which can also act as an audio range oscillator, and can sync its frequency to any external source.

We're just working on the best combinations to include in each XS-ory. And hope to release at least a couple of these before the end of the year.

Then later on we may release a dual filter, dual envelopes, etc.

Thanks,
Jered"
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm not a synth-builder so i can't say much

BUT the incentive to come out with a line of FR-format modules just for FR synths seems rather limited. You can already buy a tiptop happy-ending kit for $150 and stuff it full of whatever eurorack modules you want, and they'll do all of what was described in the FR xs-ories.

So Jered would have to either make his FR modules in the eurorack format which is not a terrible idea, except that the market is flooding with other manufacturers all the time and it would be kind of redundant for him to "join the fray"

or he'd have to start his own format....which is probably not a good idea right now for many practical reasons.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

i too have been hoping for some XS-ories

the reason being.. i have an XS... and like the XS.. i hoped that these XS-ories would pack a lot of bang for the buck

so while it makes sense that Jared should be cautious releasing these XS-ories when they'd be competing with all the other modular modules... i always thought they'd be things that expanded on the XS's prowess. like another rack unit the same size as the XS but with different envelopes, LFOs, filters, cv and audio mixers, etc... and it would have the same cost savings benefit as the XS

Jared is running out of time for me though... once i get an enclosure for more modules.. i'll have the things i've always wanted to expand the XS and little reason to get any XS-ories
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
i'm not a synth-builder so i can't say much

BUT the incentive to come out with a line of FR-format modules just for FR synths seems rather limited. You can already buy a tiptop happy-ending kit for $150 and stuff it full of whatever eurorack modules you want, and they'll do all of what was described in the FR xs-ories.

So Jered would have to either make his FR modules in the eurorack format which is not a terrible idea, except that the market is flooding with other manufacturers all the time and it would be kind of redundant for him to "join the fray"

or he'd have to start his own format....which is probably not a good idea right now for many practical reasons.
Those seem pretty good reasons I guess. No point in waiting around for them when there's so much other stuff out there
Old 18th September 2011
the modulation is one of the strong parts of the FR gear I thought...very quick and snappy...maybe if he could make a 19" rack/desktop unit to go with the XS - that would be sweet. desktop can be really useful and not every one want to get bogged down into Euroracks...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I mainly just wish my xs could save presets and do full midi automation actually. I never really find any use for the patch panel.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

there is a lot of functionality to be had with patching just on the XS... this is even more important for integrating with other gear.

my XS is actually integral to everything. it controls both my SEM and Quad Plague Bearer... and tempo syncs FX
Old 25th February 2015
Gear Head
I guess this will never happen. But after having lusted after the XS ever since the plans for it was announced on the future_retro mailinglist, I finally managed to snag one! Damn, that filter sounds good!
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

A 1u 19" rackmount CV processor would be very desirable. What would it need? MIDI in, tempo-synced LFO, sample and hold, lag processor, multiples and CV mixer, attenuator, and a tempo-synced multi-stage CV envelope and/or CV recorder/sequencer with presets. Add a VCA and envelope and you have what the Moog CP-251 always wanted to be but never managed. This would work great with Moogerfoogers, XS and other modular gear.

As an XS-Xpander, another nice feature would be that it might have an implementation that allows control of two CV outputs from the unit by MIDI CC and NRPN, and maybe control of another couple of its features by the same? This would allow XS users limited MIDI control of filter and oscillator mod functions.

Jared! Make it so!

Last edited by Signifier; 25th February 2015 at 04:15 PM..
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

It doesn't appear that Future Retro have any interest in doing anything new but making small gadgets anymore...probably due to being a very small operation and there bring a lot more competition today than 15 years ago when they were at their most successful. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath...up until they put out their little gadgets recently I thought they were totally done.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

Not true: what about the Mondovox, which they have billed as the first XS-ory? There's the DB rack too, not to mention the three small accessory boxes. These will sell well and have had good reviews.
Old 14th May 2015
Gear Head
What control/utility modules would you put in a small low-cost eurorack case to compliment your xs?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search