The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dubstep Yay or Nay? Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

dubstep has the gone the same was as house music. no subtlety left at all, just blisteringly annoying basslines that appeal to the lowest common denominator.

both genres started out as amazing fresh sounds but now they are both abused by the mainstream to sell more records.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Like any genre of music there is good and bad everywhere.

I think that the worst dubstep is some of the most annoying music on the planet.

However, the best dubstep is (to me) the most expressie, unique, awesome music on the planet. That's what i want to make.

But again, for every right there is a wrong and the wrongs in this case result in some very annoying tunes.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun View Post
I'm starting to appreciate this new 'slutstep' you're on about:

This is horribly immature, but I am so tired that my brain just linked audio to video and it came out as her ripping a wide variety of farts.
Old 16th September 2011
restpause
Nay to brostep. Nay, I say, Nay!

Yay to older dubstep from about 2006/2007/2008.
This modern crap is pathetic and overlaps with complextro.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac
when it first came out it seemed so fresh, inventive and varied. even the mary anne hobbs compilation had pretty varied sounds/approaches. but like drum and bass, it appears to have gone totally homogenous and much sooner too. now its all that comical wobble which is really about as musical as whammy bar squeals in hair metal
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I like some of it....
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
it's funny what gets thought of as "new".. like I'm the non-foward thinking old fart. I'm just sick of dubstep/breakcore and "minimal". Yet they've been around so long. I remember when trends/sub-genres used to move so much quicker... before the internet.

I had my little fun moment with dubstep... I crashed at my friends place... woke up the remembered it was my birthday.. his roommate woke me up.. smoked me up... and we watched the awfully entertaining movie "Vibrations". After that we layeded around and play Tetris on N64 while listening to all the Crispy remixes on Youtube and laughed our asses off... non of us listened to dubstep since...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

For me breakcore started and ended with VSnare. I did try to listen to some other renown well appreciated artists, but didn't get me there yet.

As for brostep, I was honestly into it for about half an year, feb 2010 - aug/sep 2010... and then it really dissapointed me. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like dubstep, it's really made dancing fun again. But wobbles, hell no. Too ole skool for that I guess.. Brostep reminds me of gabba in the 90's - not much to do with music, more to do with an attitude and being young..

I really appreciate sets like what they're spinning at the Wax Treatment club in Berlin, hardly any wobbles, just a nice mix of electro/halfstep/4WD vibes.. I can dance to that stuff all night long, without any substances, just like in the good ol days ('95!)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

The Dubstep hate is out of control. I like any genre well done and with a great DJ I'll break it down to bluegrass. People hear a small bit of a genre and then use it as their punching bag. if you don't dance, and don't go to a place with a GREAT sound system (Function One, GSA, etc.) with a lot of subs, then you won't get it. The room becomes a sea of moving air and makes the air tangible with vibrations, and people are writing music for that effect. Sure there is formulaic stuff that comes out, but honestly I love that highschool kids are listening to electronic music like this now, it can only be good that Deadmaus and all that is big with the young, versus rock (yawn) and whatever hip hop has the biggest marketing budget.

Dubstep on a **** system, or in a club with a **** system is not really dubstep, you're missing a lot of information. It's a music of motion.

Honestly minimal should be getting a lot more hate but it just isn't relevant to anything so anyone who spends their time hating it gets no glory, but Dubstep has actually changed the landscape of music EVERYWHERE and in almost every genre, so by hating on it instead of just not liking it quietly, the haters are trying to take some of that shine for themselves.

Everyone else just keeps dancing.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
someone sounds young...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmo View Post
but honestly I love that highschool kids are listening to electronic music like this now, it can only be good that Deadmaus and all that is big with the young, versus rock (yawn) and whatever hip hop has the biggest marketing budget.
well.. punk rock and rave was better for the young IMO.

With what ur saying it's just splitting hairs amongst the preppies and fratboys..
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
someone sounds young...
Or too old -LOL!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
last girl I slept with was 23... so in my mind I'm 23.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Haters are always going to hate...it happens....
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I think fast half time music is here to stay, at it definitely is a music of motion. I think there are loads of crap dub step tunes out there and I think there are a few amazing ones.

nay to ketamine...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

drumnbass-yes, breaks-yes, minimal-yes, classic-yes. dubstep- no.
there are some tracks that are made greatly..like production,glitches and so on...but it doesnot sound conseptual to me. plus to all....maybe ive never visited a dubstep party but i still dont understand how to dance it))
Old 16th September 2011
....Been to a party last weekend, it was like one of these house parties in these American college comedies: room crammed full of drunken people - incredibly hot - everyone was sweating....

On the "main floor" (a small bedroom equipped with two P.A. speakers ) there was a DJ playing dubstep and I can tell you it was great fun!
You could shuffle your feet and shake your limbs like there was no tomorrow (I'm not as fast at dancing as I used to be during the 90s). The basslines were rrreallllyyy angry - wobblefest 3000.

As I said - great fun!!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

"The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer a part of it" ---- Salvador Dali
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does it matter?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

From a sound design point of view I absolutely love Bro-step. I love traditional UK Dubstep for the same reason.

Love the sound, love the puzzle-based brain tease, love that legions of young people are flocking to this form of electronic music. Although I am a bit jealous that all I did at their age was listen to Snoop Dog and Bob Marley and pretend I was King ****..... Would have been fun to do some of the stuff they are doing back then.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
What did your parents say about techno?

What did their parents say about rock 'n roll?

I'll leave the conclusion to you heh
Its like this - I love Techno,Drum & Bass, Trance ( even the new Stuff ) - anything from Classical Music to Rap. Every Genre has something thats great or inspirational - but Dubstep ( except Burial ) just sounds plastic and uninspirational. I rather listen to Lil Wayne then Dubstep and that's a statement...
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have always loved bass heavy music. based on that I am the type of person who should love dubstep. problem for me is the over used wobbles, painful screeches and boring repetition.

occasionally listen to a bit of burial and some of the more chilled dubstep (should that now be IDS?) but the wobbly stuff is just too crazy and painful for me to listen to. maybe I am getting old.. i dunno.. but certainly not interested in following that fad

a nay from me
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmo View Post
The Dubstep hate is out of control. I like any genre well done and with a great DJ I'll break it down to bluegrass. People hear a small bit of a genre and then use it as their punching bag. if you don't dance, and don't go to a place with a GREAT sound system (Function One, GSA, etc.) with a lot of subs, then you won't get it. The room becomes a sea of moving air and makes the air tangible with vibrations, and people are writing music for that effect. Sure there is formulaic stuff that comes out, but honestly I love that highschool kids are listening to electronic music like this now, it can only be good that Deadmaus and all that is big with the young, versus rock (yawn) and whatever hip hop has the biggest marketing budget.

Dubstep on a **** system, or in a club with a **** system is not really dubstep, you're missing a lot of information. It's a music of motion.

Honestly minimal should be getting a lot more hate but it just isn't relevant to anything so anyone who spends their time hating it gets no glory, but Dubstep has actually changed the landscape of music EVERYWHERE and in almost every genre, so by hating on it instead of just not liking it quietly, the haters are trying to take some of that shine for themselves.

Everyone else just keeps dancing.

Dubstep is just Downtemp Drum & Bass with Rave Elements...nothing special. Wobble Bass - yeah, fun in Clubs but they all Sound the same anymore.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a heavily UKG-influenced dubstep track I made... IMHO it IS dubstep, and it has nothing to do with wobbles.

Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy View Post
Interested in knowing what you slutz think of it.
I like dubstep. And turtles.

I was going to post this in the "live techno" thread but I cant find a good live vid of these guys. The drums are mostly played live (via samplers and "analog" drums)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Just another fad. The music is awful, generic, boring garbage. Truly some of the worse stuff coming out lately. It seems it's at it's peak in popularity right now though, which is good, because that means the decline will be coming soon. Then again, we may have to deal with some bull**** genre like Post-Dubstep or something like that...
Old 17th September 2011
restpause
I was amazed that an old abandoned club re-opened in my town and they have a Dubstep night!

This amazes me because you can't even buy synths in my town hardly. It's a guitar/rock-dominated town and has been for years!

I'm not against wobbles. Just like any musical technique, some know how to do it well, and others don't. A really good complex wobble can be fabulous. But a lot of people really don't know how to make them good so we're stuck with a lot of sh*tty ones.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well you can call me a "weirdo", but I like to listen it occasionally with "humane" volume levels (ain't it true for all)

I'll never go to a club with over 75+ dB voice levels without ear muffs though. I like a wide variety of music, but I can't stand high volume levels so I use an ear muff when going to "bars & clubs". That kind of thing.

A friend made of fun of me when he showed his "mixing level" I almost teleported to 15 meters once he did it.

He laughed and said "Dude, don't try mixing then, just compose and be happy, This is how it's done"

Dubstep has it's uniqueness, I like it when it's mixed with reggae and jazz. I can't stand "over compressed and distorted" sounds for a long time though. That's why I set my listening volumes accordingly.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I heard one dubstep song I would be 'yay' but they are all so damn 'samey' that it can only be a fad, like, say, Speed Garage. For it to have any chance it needs to change things up a bit. Every song is -

Big Chunky Drums with massive Snare - wobble bass - trancey/cheese 'emotive' pad - then breaks into squelchy 'evil' sounding Massive basslines.

However, as I said, some songs on their individual merits are really nicely produced with interesting noises. Even the really cheeseball Skrillex stuff has some wicked production flourishes and 'how did he do that?" moments.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search