The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best softsynth for V-Synth-style formant shifting? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Best softsynth for V-Synth-style formant shifting?

I used to have a V-Synth XT and one of the best things about it was its ability to screw up samples, including doing realtime formant shifting. If you assigned this effect to the mod wheel or aftertouch, you could get some really expressive formant effects.

As an example, at 3:54 (near the very end) of this clip, I sampled my voice saying "aah" and then got freaky with it.

This sort of effect/capability is not easily emulated with other hardware or softare. Most other synths achieve vocal sounds through the use of a vowel or formant filter (or using multiple filters in series). But the V-synth doesn't do it this way... it has some sort of weird algorithmic warping of the sample.

Are there any VSTs that can do this to samples in realtime as part of their synthesis engine, not as an effect?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Not a VST, but Samplewiz on the iPad does granular sampling pretty well:
SampleWiz - a next-generation sampler for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don`t know but I would recommend you check the feature lists and demos of Tone2`s ElectraX and Gladiator.
Maybe the new ElectraX does everything Gladiator does, but I don`t know.
tone2.com
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think Roland's specific implementation is covered by patents. But you can surely get similar results if you look for more esoteric stuff, Kyma, Max/MSP,etc. There are lots and lots of powerful synthesis techniques that still aren't "mainstream", but you might have to roll up your sleeves and build it yourself, or put up with some other form of inconvenience.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Alchemy
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Melodyne of course.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Try...

Absynth
Harmor
Alchemy
Razor
Old 16th September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Nice track man.... very Shpongle-ish

Try Ircam Trax it has some cool vocal fx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search