The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An1x vs nova Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

An1x vs nova

Thinking of getting an an1x. I can get one for quite a reasonable price; however, i already own a novation nova. I really like the nova - its really versatile and really easy for me to sculpt the sound - and i probably won't sell it.

To put it in context, I have a juno 60 (got the minerva retrofit, still need to track down a synth tech to install it - my soldering skills suck big time) and i have a jx-8p with a bcr2000 that i use instead of the pg800. Currently my jx-8p aftertouch is not working via the keyboard. I'm planning on doing the keyboard aftertouch repair (deoxidizing the channel pressure strip). If my aftertouch repair on the 8p is successful i was thinking of using it as my main controller although i do no like the joystick lfo trigger. instead of a proper mod wheel, i figure i can assign a free encoder on the bcr2000 as a mod wheel.

If my 8p aftertouch repair is unsuccessful i will definitely get the an1x; however, my main concern is if i can fix the 8p aftertouch and it would become viable as a main controller that it will cover roughly the same sonic territory as the nova in which case i think i might be better off putting the equivalent amount of dough into something like a mopho (had one, sold it, regretted it).

I had a dx7 mk1 which i had to sell cause i was short on cash at the time (still a little tight now hence my quandry otherwise i would just slut out and grab the an1x regardless). I know the an1x does some FM and i have heard some of Don Solaris's programming examples - really good stuff. I can coax some FM sounds out of the nova; however, doesn't do FM per se. i'm wondering if the an1x might be better suited for FM work or if i should just continue to use VSTs for my FM needs.

Programming interfaces are not really an issue for me since i have a bcr2000 and can pretty much program it to do whatever i wanf.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had the AN1X and it became my master keyboard because the keys are so nice to play, and it was my only keyboard with working aftertouch.

It has a good sound if you put the programming in, but I personally found it a little blander than my old Supernova (which is very similar to the Nova in sound engine).

The Nova/Supernova also have a much friendlier interface for evolving patches on the fly.

Still, there are people who rave about the AN1X...I would buy it just to check it out, then you can make your own mind up. It will definitely work very well as a master keyboard anyway.

As a VA, the AN1X will cover the same ground as your Nova. The Supernova has a brighter, shinier character while the AN1X is a little darker in base character.

The DX7, Juno-60 and JX-8P are different beasts (the AN1X FM sounds are not the same as DX FM sounds). I personally would sell the JX-8P to fund a synthesis-type you're missing and which also offers aftertouch control. Seen as you sold your DX7 replace it with a DX7-II or SY-77.

I'm not a believer in FM-emulation per software myself, but others may chime in differently here.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
selly jx-8p buy SY77. enjoy. I did/Do.

SY77 help replace both my AN1x and my JX-8p btw. For the sounds I was using. It does grittier leads with more authority than the (nice) AN1x and does epic pads and atmospheres that are way more interesting than the standard JX-8P (nice) strings.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The AN1X is a great sounding synth, let down only by a cheap construction and a not-so-great user interface.
It sounds quite analog, really, as far as VAs go of course...

An other synth that worth looking into is the Ion. Sounds also quite "analog" but its interface is much better and intuitive than the Yamaha's.
The Novations sound more "polite" or rather creamier to my ears compared to the darker, punchier sound of the AN1X.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have owned the Nova and didn't like the menus and small buttons.

Put the Novation KS on the firing line instead and only by a small margin would I still go for the AN1x.

hands on to the max and great sound from both.

EDIT : The AN1x is still my master keyboard BTW
Old 18th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Late reply but...

I would say just buy the AN1x if the price is good. If the condition is fine, there should be no problem to sell it again if you have to.

The keys are really nice. I think you may prefer using it to the 8P. I'm also using mine as my master control keyboard. For me it has the nicest keys of any MIDI synth I own, including the OB-12, SN2, G2-X, in order of preference.

Personally, I think the construction is fine. It's plastic, but so what? The interface is OK. My SN2 is a bit easier though.

There is definitely overlap with my SN2 for sound, which I assume would imply overlap with the Nova as well. Different character though. They also can cover some different range. I prefer the envelopes of the SN2. I think the Ion is snappier than either, though. I don't find the AN1x sounds analogue, or perhaps it can in moments, but certainly not all the time.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

this is a fantastic debait... I'll take 2 please

actually.... I did!

*claps hands & backs out....... to play with his nova & AN1x*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search