The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
V Synth GT vs. V Synth V2 vs. Jupiter 80 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

V Synth GT vs. V Synth V2 vs. Jupiter 80

I'm pretty out of the loop with Roland's synths. I used a V-Synth XT briefly a few years back but otherwise haven't really kept up with them. Interested in picking one of their boards up in the next few months and not really sure where to start.

I have tons of Korg boards and figured the Jupiter 80 might be a nice change/variation. Can someone who knows their Rolands break down what the difference between the V-Synth V2 and newer V Synth Gt is? Then, the the Jupiter 80 a totally different beast from the V-Synth or does it do something entirely different?

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011
The JP80 is a different beast; the JP is more of luxurious samples ("real" stuff) and a sophisticated VA synth engine. More for the performer who wants lots of readily made & laid out good-sounding acoustic and synthethic sounds.

The V-Synths are more samplers, really, with esoteric functions. They also have VA synth engines but I think they're more for the adventurous sound sculpting synthesist. The V-Synth palette leans more towards experimentation.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info! Then the V-Synth is much more what I'm looking for. I already have a half dozens synths and sample libraries with real instruments patches.

Now the V-Synth vs. the V-Synth GT?
Old 15th September 2011
Oop
Gear Addict

The GT is the dual-core version of the V-Synth with a colour touch screen.

If I remember correctly, it has additional FX. AP-Synthesis, which does your string modelling etc. I love the instruments you can create with these. It also has an impressive Vocoder built in.

With V2, you get the D-50 expansion, if I'm not wrong.

It is not much of a preset-machine, so you'd be better of with the JP-80 for instant throbbing joy!

Unfortunately, I've been using mine as a MIDI Controller for a while. It is an impressive synth, with some amazing sample manipulation features. But, a while ago I saw 'SampleWiz' on the iPad pull off some crazy manipulation which kind of took away a slice of my cake. It could use an update to bring it to the 2011 feature-set. But, with the D-Beam and XY Pad, it does some crazy real-time manipulation for outer-space orgasms!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

One thing to keep in mind with GT ... While it has bi-timbral capability ... it is not exactly "dual core" and doesn't enjoy a true doubling of polyphony ...

Roland also revamped GT's user interface to be more oriented toward live performance instead of programming ... so keep that in mind as well ...

Some people say the vocoders on the intergrated VC-2 vocal designer section do not sound nearly as good on VC-2 card or what's in V-Synth XT ...

Personally, I'd go for original V-Synth(2.0) imo if you want the full user interface ... For what they go and what they offer -- I bought and sold mine for $600 -- the price difference between V-Synth 2.0 and GT isn't worth it unless you've got the bread to burn ... (BTW ... V-Synth 2.0 doesn't come with D-50 card though it's available ... GT doesn't either and has no option ... FWIW it's a great emulation and fairly useful ... )

V-Synth XT is also a great choice ... that's what I have ... it inclues the awesome VC-2 card which is next to impossible to find anyways and way too expensive if you do ... But the dual d-beams are gone as well as many of the dedicated controls ... but I never reallly liked Roland's choices for the knobs and they aren't user assignable ...

However, I am glad I used the original for some time as it teaches you how to approach the V-Synth's sound engine structure and makes using the XT more logicial (XT does have a great interface for what it offers ... And yes, the eight knowbs ARE user definiable or always map to the most logicial params generally ... )
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here are some videos I did on the V-Synth. I hope it helps.

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Great videos Jim! Thanks everyone for great info! It seems finding a V-Synth V2 in good shape is the way to go here.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

i just picked up a vsynth v2 mint for 900$ . for the money most GTs go for , they are a bit overpriced for what you get . v2 is best bang for buck at the moment.
Old 16th September 2011
Deleted User
I feel they all share the same quality sound or same code base, but have different controls and features added or omitted, upgraded.

- JP-80 if you need the latest programming and power.
- GT if you do custom sampling or synths in layers. Vocoder. AP Synthesis
- V-synth if you do sampling for single patches. (2 osc) Upgrade cards are expensive.
- XT if you need space and need a vocoder/D50.

If you just need a synth (square, saw waves) these boards are overkill. If you ever need a sequencer, get a fantom, as it is also a digital synthesizer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search