The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Novation K-Station thread Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th May 2018
  #61
Lives for gear
 

from demos, not convinced the Peak is all that different
apart from, yeah, different filter. (but i sort of skipped
interest with the Peak). and obviously much better
control surface.
so you still have the KS then?
Old 13th May 2018
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpongled View Post
interesting that you say that, i'm thinking of replacing my KS with a Peak, which has the BS2 filters or at least similar. given that you have both of those, what would you miss about the character of the KS that you can't get from the BS2? i know i could just keep the KS as well as it isn't expensive, but i don't like to have too many synths!
I also have both the K and BS2.Personaly,I think they're two different animals. I like the K for it's VA sound. I think it compliments the BS well.
I don't know the Peak. It looks awesome though.
Old 13th May 2018
  #63
Gear Maniac
 
shpongled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
from demos, not convinced the Peak is all that different
apart from, yeah, different filter. (but i sort of skipped
interest with the Peak). and obviously much better
control surface.
so you still have the KS then?
yep i still have the KS, along with with a nord lead 3, blofeld, and MKS50. not really keen enough on the nord lead 3 sound (although i go back and forth on that) so i'm considering swapping it out for the peak (love the sound, speaks to me in a way i wish the NL3 did more often), but secretly hoping peak can also cover enough of the KS character as well so i could offload it and be down to only 3 synths (blofeld, peak, MKS50). this is the magic number for me in terms of hardware synths - any more than that and i start to feel overwhelmed and/or guilty for splitting my attention and not using them all as much as i should.
Old 13th May 2018
  #64
Lives for gear
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpongled View Post
interesting that you say that, i'm thinking of replacing my KS with a Peak, which has the BS2 filters or at least similar. given that you have both of those, what would you miss about the character of the KS that you can't get from the BS2? i know i could just keep the KS as well as it isn't expensive, but i don't like to have too many synths!
Well It has more waveforms (double saw, double square, double triangle, double sine per oscillator of which it has 3) and it also has a unison mode which can stack the 8 voices (even with double waveforms) for massive sounds. And it being a 3 osc synth vs 2 osc and 1 subosc on the BS2 then you can use it make stabs. And the FX while not being groundbreaking, are an important part of the global sound of the K, with many of them being modulated by the wheel, and being that there 8 simultaneous of them you can get a lot of movement in your sounds.

Now, I haven’t read much of the Peak, so I don’t know if it has the additional waveforms or the unison function, but I like that it has more knobs and faders and a better screen. I guess is an evolved K without keys.

On a side note, if you’re talking of the KS that’s a different story, because that one is like having 4 K-stations on one unit.
Old 14th May 2018
  #65
Gear Maniac
 
shpongled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Well It has more waveforms (double saw, double square, double triangle, double sine per oscillator of which it has 3) and it also has a unison mode which can stack the 8 voices (even with double waveforms) for massive sounds. And it being a 3 osc synth vs 2 osc and 1 subosc on the BS2 then you can use it make stabs. And the FX while not being groundbreaking, are an important part of the global sound of the K, with many of them being modulated by the wheel, and being that there 8 simultaneous of them you can get a lot of movement in your sounds.

Now, I haven’t read much of the Peak, so I don’t know if it has the additional waveforms or the unison function, but I like that it has more knobs and faders and a better screen. I guess is an evolved K without keys.

On a side note, if you’re talking of the KS that’s a different story, because that one is like having 4 K-stations on one unit.
yeah i'm not so much talking about features/capability (ie KS being multitimbral), i'm wondering more about the general character. having never tried either a BS2 or peak in person, how similar in terms of pure character are the BS2 and K/KS?

i really like the "squidgy-ness" of the KS, i guess the so-called "liquid filters". also the airy/breathy sounds you can get from it quite easily.

peak is also 3 osc.

i guess there is no way to really know without just getting one myself and trying it out
sorry, i'm kind've derailing the thread a bit here hehe...
Old 14th May 2018
  #66
I think there is only a passing resemlance between the K and BS2. A similarity in the smoothness of the filters perhaps. Otherwize the K has a colder digital sound compared to the BS2. Also I think the BS2 kills the K for deep bass ... which is why I bought it. For funky Moog bass, the BS2 will get you there, the K won't IMO.
Old 14th May 2018
  #67
Lives for gear
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpongled View Post
yeah i'm not so much talking about features/capability (ie KS being multitimbral), i'm wondering more about the general character. having never tried either a BS2 or peak in person, how similar in terms of pure character are the BS2 and K/KS?

i really like the "squidgy-ness" of the KS, i guess the so-called "liquid filters". also the airy/breathy sounds you can get from it quite easily.

peak is also 3 osc.

i guess there is no way to really know without just getting one myself and trying it out
sorry, i'm kind've derailing the thread a bit here hehe...
Oh sorry! I thought you meant overall what would I miss from the KS compared to the BS2.
I think that the sound of the KS is more ethereal, sort to speak, it’s great for pads and moving things on a deeper layer of a song, if you know what I mean. You can make it sound dirty, but it’s more suited to the “liquidy” subtle kind of sound. And for me the sound of the BS2 is more in-your-face, dirty, brutal, the kind of sound that is more in the outer layer of a song.
I hope I explained myself clear, since I tend to drift a bit.
Old 14th May 2018
  #68
Lives for gear
 
A.I. Batule Chee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
I think there is only a passing resemlance between the K and BS2. A similarity in the smoothness of the filters perhaps. Otherwize the K has a colder digital sound compared to the BS2. Also I think the BS2 kills the K for deep bass ... which is why I bought it. For funky Moog bass, the BS2 will get you there, the K won't IMO.
Agreed, though you can make very low sub bass with the K, the “vaporize speakers” kind.
Old 20th May 2018
  #69
Gear Maniac
 
shpongled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Oh sorry! I thought you meant overall what would I miss from the KS compared to the BS2.
I think that the sound of the KS is more ethereal, sort to speak, it’s great for pads and moving things on a deeper layer of a song, if you know what I mean. You can make it sound dirty, but it’s more suited to the “liquidy” subtle kind of sound. And for me the sound of the BS2 is more in-your-face, dirty, brutal, the kind of sound that is more in the outer layer of a song.
I hope I explained myself clear, since I tend to drift a bit.
yep you explained it perfectly, those are all the things i like my KS for as well.

i guess this means the peak won't be able to substitute for the character of the KS. oh well.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump