The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Novation K-Station thread Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th August 2017
i'd like to hear opinions on K-station as a midi controller for hardware synth modules.
obviously its only 2 octaves, but it would be nice if it can double for that use, in addition to its own engine.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Head

Hi,

Most of the knobs/sliders on my KS4 send midi messages however I have not seen any way of changing the cc numbers assigned to the individual knob/sliders to match the receiving synth module. If the receiving module supports midi learn then thay may work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
i'd like to hear opinions on K-station as a midi controller for hardware synth modules.
obviously its only 2 octaves, but it would be nice if it can double for that use, in addition to its own engine.
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnybody View Post
Hi,

Most of the knobs/sliders on my KS4 send midi messages however I have not seen any way of changing the cc numbers assigned to the individual knob/sliders to match the receiving synth module. If the receiving module supports midi learn then thay may work.

thanks!
so its not really perfect as a controller...

how is the quality of K-station's effect engine, does it hold against low-end stand-alone effect units? i guess it is a dedicated dsp chip on the pcb.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
thanks!

how is the quality of K-station's effect engine, does it hold against low-end stand-alone effect units? i guess it is a dedicated dsp chip on the pcb.
I quite like the k station, but I rate it's efx very lowly. The efx on any Korg or Roland are better. Let alone ensoniqs.

Last edited by bluegreengold; 8th August 2017 at 08:02 PM..
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I think the K-Station effects are alright for the price. They're not offensive to the ears and they do the job. l like the distortion on it.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thanks!

They are standard, nothing to die for, the reverb specially is not very good, but I think the autopan is nice so is the chorus and distortion. Of course a dedicated fx box is better. I guess they overall work well within the context of the synth itself, as all 7 are simultaneous, but not so as an external fx processor. Now don't take me wrong, it can sound really really good, it has nifty things like the filter drive that makes it sound very nice or very nasty, unison up to 8 voices plus the double form of the waves, or the VCO drift function among others. The k-station is a synth that has its own sound and workflow, even if all knobs transmit MIDI I don't think it was designed to fit a DAW environment, that would be the X-station.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Nut

I've been spending time with an x-station and regarding the effects:

chorus - surprisingly very nice!
reverb - seems bad at first and pretty much is. however in a few spots you can get some nice older alesis/warp/idm reverb sounds
delay - does what a delay does but lacks a bit of character? maybe i've not tweaked it enough.
compressor - this may be the star. gives the engine more analog weight and doesn't seem to hurt the sounds much. can also be abused to give lofi/noise texture

Over all the effects are not good for actual final use (ie. hi-fi finish) but can and should be used to develop the actual synth patch itself.

eq also seems very nice for further enhancement of the sound. can't pick the boost frequencies but still nice to have three fixed bands to cut/boost.

Last edited by ahlist; 9th August 2017 at 01:31 AM..
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
Is V-Station identical to the K-station?
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Is V-Station identical to the K-station?
I think so. I've read that there are differences regarding sound, being that the k-station sounds better, but I cannot attest that. I've never used the V.

EDIT: the k-station's layout is identical to the V, so you can control it without needing MIDI learn.

Last edited by A.I. Batule Chee; 8th August 2017 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So I just snagged a K-Station for 200.00 on ebay. Not going to lie I'm very excited to try it out . I'll post an update once it arrives. A Timbre Wolf () is almost as much money so I gotta say K-Station is no doubt high value/$. If you want to play one before you buy it though good luck... I still have my microkorg, and I'm excited to do a side by side comparison even though they are fairly different synths. This thread was really helpful in making a decision to pick one up by the way so thank you for everyone's input.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsarebad View Post
So I just snagged a K-Station for 200.00 on ebay. Not going to lie I'm very excited to try it out . I'll post an update once it arrives. A Timbre Wolf () is almost as much money so I gotta say K-Station is no doubt high value/$. If you want to play one before you buy it though good luck... I still have my microkorg, and I'm excited to do a side by side comparison even though they are fairly different synths. This thread was really helpful in making a decision to pick one up by the way so thank you for everyone's input.
The microkorg sounds more rough, dirtier sort to speak, while the ks is more ethereal, airy, very trancey. And the bass you get from it, lovely.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

bass is bass
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
My tip if your handy with a soldering iron is to replace the pots that are for parameters that are bipolar with a center indent potentiometer such as EVUF3AF20B14 PANASONIC.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
My tip if your handy with a soldering iron is to replace the pots that are for parameters that are bipolar with a center indent potentiometer such as EVUF3AF20B14 PANASONIC.
I didn't khow the part number, that's handy, thx!
Do you happen to know the part number of those that aren't bipolar please?
I know you can ask Novation support for them, but maybe I can get them quicker.
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
I didn't khow the part number, that's handy, thx!
Do you happen to know the part number of those that aren't bipolar please?
I know you can ask Novation support for them, but maybe I can get them quicker.
Thanks!
The novations actually use alps pots. The panasonics are equivalent.

What you need is a linear 10k 9 mm vertical potentiometer. Those panasonics are just available at a very low price. I'm unsure if there is a panasonic equivalent without the detent.

Note:: the panasonics are not a 'bipolar potentiometer' -- there is no such thing. They just have a detent in the middle of their throw, which makes the useful for bipolar parameters where halfway is 0. You can use these as replacments for any of the potentiometers, but you get a little click in the middle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
The novations actually use alps pots. The panasonics are equivalent.

What you need is a linear 10k 9 mm vertical potentiometer. Those panasonics are just available at a very low price. I'm unsure if there is a panasonic equivalent without the detent.
Alright thank you! I'm gonna look for them, I'm starting to have a bit of ghost editing in a couple of knobs, so I might take the opportunity and change them all since I'm going to open it anyway. Done it before, pretty simple actually.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello there folks.

I'm a (complete amateur in Synths) guitarist/keyboardist (into post punk/new wave/electro stuff) that just ordered a KS Station in near mint condition (hasn't arrived yet).
Though i'm about to dig sounds and get into tweaking, I was wondering if there's any "guide" on how to get more jupiterish/juno/poly sounds from it.
There's nothing on youtube (just some demos) and I cannot find any tutorial or volume with patches etc.

I'd be glad if you could help me.

Thank you
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On Novation's site you can find a few soundbanks, not sure if they're jupiter sounding though. You can always watch a jupiter or Juno tutorial and apply it to the KS.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yes, theres a couple of banks there, and no, there are no previews. You can load them to the synth using a sysex librarian. Also, you can use the soundbanks of the V-station, you can find some here:
KVR: Downloads, Banks, Patches, Presets, etc.

I'm sure a quick google search will yield more.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Great (and... cheers! )
So I can use the V-Station banks too? :D
Thank you A.I. Batule Chee!
Old 1 week ago
X-station makes for the best controller, so versatile.

How does the sound engine in it differ from v and k stations? Same VA engine?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
I think so. I've read that there are differences regarding sound, being that the k-station sounds better, but I cannot attest that. I've never used the V.

EDIT: the k-station's layout is identical to the V, so you can control it without needing MIDI learn.
V-station actually sounds very good. Very musical. It’s a shame it’s gone under the radar.

I got it in this bundle with B-station and the Focusrite Midnight Suite. It’s a steal at that price.
* SPECIAL OFFER * Focusrite Novation Software Collection Download Edition | Absolute Music
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
Hello there folks.

I'm a (complete amateur in Synths) guitarist/keyboardist (into post punk/new wave/electro stuff) that just ordered a KS Station in near mint condition (hasn't arrived yet).
Though i'm about to dig sounds and get into tweaking, I was wondering if there's any "guide" on how to get more jupiterish/juno/poly sounds from it.
There's nothing on youtube (just some demos) and I cannot find any tutorial or volume with patches etc.

I'd be glad if you could help me.

Thank you
I would say that it does a nice job of sounding Juno-ish as is so I would recommend that you mirror the setup of a Juno-106 if you're going for a more authentic sound. For example: use a single envelope, mirror the oscillator choices, turn off most of the effects except for chorus, keep modulation very simple as on original 106, etc. The sawtooth on the 106 sounds slightly distorted to me so I might apply a very slight amount of distortion on the KS-Station.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
V-station actually sounds very good. Very musical. It’s a shame it’s gone under the radar.

I got it in this bundle with B-station and the Focusrite Midnight Suite. It’s a steal at that price.
* SPECIAL OFFER * Focusrite Novation Software Collection Download Edition | Absolute Music
someone in another thread here recorded a comparison between the v-station and the k-station or ks (can't remember which). tonally, the v-station sounded great, almost identical to the k/ks. however, the aliasing on the higher notes was much worse than the k/ks. for that reason alone i would go for the hardware in this case.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search