The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
kick drum VST? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

kick drum VST?

hi

does anyone know of a VST dedicated toward kick drum design?

thanx
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

KickLab XXL is what I've been using.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Bazzism is a nice little kickdrum vst:
KVR: Intelligent Sounds & Music (ISM) BazzISM - Virtual Instrument

for a full drumsynth microtonic is a good option:
Sonic Charge - µTonic
Old 15th September 2011
Metrum by Vengeance
Old 15th September 2011
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
+1 on this one

I don't use it, but I did test it and I believe it's versatile and also quite capable of awesome kicks.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Took a quick look at some of these as I really like the idea behind these products - I've normally made the kicks the long way.

I like the way Kicklab and Metrum have synthesis and sample layering. Metrum has 3 sample layers which I think would be more flexible useful - sub, mids and knock.
However, It would be good if these plugs had separate outs so each component can have separate compression, EQ and/or transient designer etc.

Maybe the Metrum users could tell me - can you use the virtual kebourd on the GUI be used to pitch the sub to key of the song? I would think so but the video demo I watched didn't show this.
Old 17th September 2011
restpause
Poise--purely sample based, but tons of layers per pad, each with pitch and amplitude envelopes.

http://OneSmallClue.com <--for Poise ($50 dollars)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
Took a quick look at some of these as I really like the idea behind these products - I've normally made the kicks the long way.

I like the way Kicklab and Metrum have synthesis and sample layering. Metrum has 3 sample layers which I think would be more flexible useful - sub, mids and knock.
However, It would be good if these plugs had separate outs so each component can have separate compression, EQ and/or transient designer etc.

Maybe the Metrum users could tell me - can you use the virtual kebourd on the GUI be used to pitch the sub to key of the song? I would think so but the video demo I watched didn't show this.
You have to enable it in the options but from what I can tell I am not entirely sure how accurate it is because of the pitch bend. You can synth a sub bass though and get it perfect I bet. I only used the demo awhile ago, thinking about picking it up though.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

utonic is brilliant for kicks.

also, i haven't found any software synth that is better for kick drums than Massive. you have to know how to program drums well to get the best out of it, though.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdstar View Post
You have to enable it in the options but from what I can tell I am not entirely sure how accurate it is because of the pitch bend. You can synth a sub bass though and get it perfect I bet. I only used the demo awhile ago, thinking about picking it up though.
Thanks djdstar, I'm not quite sold yet...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218 View Post
When coupled with fabfilter simplon for the wet/dry filter thing, this is the best kick machine I have used.

One of my mastering clients who consistently has the best sounding kicks (minimal techno) told me that he uses sylenth. He said that you use osc 1 for the bass and 2 for the transient klick. I don't know if that makes sense or if I am remembering correctly however because I don't have sylenth. I will check with him to make sure I am right.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
Thanks djdstar, I'm not quite sold yet...
If you're doing house it seems pretty solid. Check out the demo and tell me what you think because I didn't get much of a chance to use it on my dongle, and it's expired now.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

The best for kickdrum design is massive, no competition.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218 View Post
Bazzism is a nice little kickdrum vst:
KVR: Intelligent Sounds & Music (ISM) BazzISM - Virtual Instrument

for a full drumsynth microtonic is a good option:
Sonic Charge - µTonic

wow that bazzism is great!! thanks
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdstar View Post
If you're doing house it seems pretty solid. Check out the demo and tell me what you think because I didn't get much of a chance to use it on my dongle, and it's expired now.
Been taking a closer look at Metrum. This seems to be the most powerful one I've seen but that comes at a price. I really wish it was possible to have the 4 sounds go to different VST outs - maybe this is possible and a might send contact Vengeance to find out.

One other way I was considering was to use Slate Trigger. That way I can program with MPC or 909 and layer additional samples afterwards. Trigger also has midi triggering that could be used with a sub synth. This would give separate outs a which is what I find limiting about some of the straight up kick VSTs. Trigger also has some very useful phase controls.

Anyone used Slate Trigger for dance music? The demos are all rock but I think it would be great with the right samples.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
+1000
Old 18th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post

is it just called massive...is that the proper vst name?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search