The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The most honest true reference monitors Studio Monitors
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The most honest true reference monitors

I have a pair of Dynaudio BM12as, i make dance music and i want a smaller coned reference monitor that is completely true and will show up flaws in my mixes.

Suggestions?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrigbeey View Post
I have a pair of Dynaudio BM12as, i make dance music and i want a smaller coned reference monitor that is completely true and will show up flaws in my mixes.

Suggestions?
same. i want to know which monitors are best for dance music. but why would you want smaller ones?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've just bought a pair of Adam 7x's which have made a huge difference in clarity and separation over the Mackie HR824's I had so it's worth the effort.

Having said that I couldn't say the Adams are the best as I'm only comparing them to the Mackies and before that Alesis.

Room treatment is equally important as good monitors won't sound true in a crap room!
Old 15th September 2011
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could try out Yamaha HS80M. Affordable and sound good as well. Have been using them to mix dance music etc.

Cheers
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do you work for Focal or what. You just got slagged for your constant Focal pushing on the Adam thread and others.

We all get it you love them.

Enough.
Old 15th September 2011
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Depends on how much money you want to spend i guess, but one thing is for sure, spend at least the same amount of money on acoustics as you do on youre monitors or you wont be using your monitors anywhere near their full capacity.

Monitors which are great include:

The Focals (no i don't work for them)
B&W - Just unbelievable -
and my personal favourites and next on my purchase list Barefoot MM35s and 27`s

I believe these 3 are top notch, but, that's just my opinion and i am not affiliated with any of them :P

Mark
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by monad View Post
the illustrious duo heh
to add:

ATC SCM20
K&H o300D
Quested VS2108
Geithain RL 906
PMC AML2

bring ca$h

using old refurbished K&H o98 here. love them for low range
they don't go loud, good for neighbours and works in a small room.

soooo.... for on a budget, I think get the yamaha's mentioned earlier or genelec (new molded cabinets). Adams seem to be popular, too bright for me.
Old 15th September 2011
It’s great that you love your Adams, and to answer your question I don't work for the focal. I just thought that some guys might not even know that CMS the series from the focal, Neumann KH120 or Acoustic Energy AE22 exists. So guys just expect me to be there, I am just spreading the word and sharing my experience with monitors and thank you for asking sir, with all my respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote337 View Post
Do you work for Focal or what. You just got slagged for your constant Focal pushing on the Adam thread and others.

We all get it you love them.

Enough.
Old 15th September 2011
monad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
PMC AML2
mmmmm, PMCs!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
you have some really nice monitors. why do you want to downgrade to something smaller or are you looking for a second pair?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

HTML Code:
you have some really nice monitors. why do you want to downgrade to something smaller or are you looking for a second pair?
Thats right i dont want to downgrade, i want a second pair for referencing. Something that'll give me a true image of my mix.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'd go with the barefoots personally, but the ns10s are renown for being the small monitor capable of exposing flaws in a mix
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

If you can afford BF`s i would get NS10`s also
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monad View Post
mmmmm, PMCs!
Pricey, but they are rather good! The AML2's must be amazing.. I make do with a more humble pair of TB2's. They certainly tell it to you like it is. Warts 'n all.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well the Dynaudio BM12's arent really huge...but good smaller monitors would include:-
PMC DB1
ATC SCM16a
Klein and Hummel O110
Auratone Mixcubes
Yamaha NS10
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
the illustrious duo heh
to add:

ATC SCM20
K&H o300D
Quested VS2108
Geithain RL 906
PMC AML2

bring ca$h

using old refurbished K&H o98 here. love them for low range
they don't go loud, good for neighbours and works in a small room.

soooo.... for on a budget, I think get the yamaha's mentioned earlier or genelec (new molded cabinets). Adams seem to be popular, too bright for me.
I've been reading about the Geithain RL906, but.... enough bass? Did you demo it?
He seems so small !!
Old 17th September 2011
Old 17th September 2011
Shy
Lives for gear

Dynaudio Acoustics BM6A are fantastic "true, honest" small cone monitors. The detail they reveal is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. The quality of their drivers and overall construction is extremely high, distortion level is extremely low, and the frequency response and overall sound character allows "translation" of the mix as well as possible on anything.

Their well established reputation speaks for itself anyway. Go search for electronic music artists who have relied on them for mixing of albums that pretty much anyone would agree have an unflawed balance of sound.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really like my BM6as, but not sure why you want "true" smaller speakers when you have the 12as?

I'd make more sense to me if you were asking for crappy reference speakers, to get a home stereo or car stereo kind of reference... Seems like going for "true" smaller speakers will just end you up with something that sounds like your 12as, but not as loud and not quite as much bass extension.
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda_00 View Post
I've been reading about the Geithain RL906, but.... enough bass? Did you demo it?
He seems so small !!
I listened to them, did not work with these.
testing them yourself in your room, for a while, would be the most sensible thing. with speakers in this class, talk to the dealer, it will be possible to test speakers before making a choice. it's nice if you have a good room. it's like trying on a shoe, and finding out the first pair in the store fits. (or something)

for really accurate bass at HIGH VOLUME, nothing beats big bass woofers in a nice enclosure, with a good oversized tight amp. laws of physics and such
small enclosures CAN put out enough bass to work with. often you get what you pay for. all of those speakers are not cheap. big speakers in a small room sometimes work, but try to find the size that's logical.
I've now worked on nearfields for the last 3 years. it's possible. I miss my big room though
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Try a Blue Sky System One

Quote:

Suggestions?

With integrated sub it is small and very full range. I have used a lot, some more expensive by a lot.
It is not colored, very neutral. Well built. But not cheap.

George
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Suggestions?
I had a pair of bm12a, then bm5a+bm9s, i had to move, and my home studio got much smaller, so i was looking for smaller monitors, the budget wasn't a problem so i looked at the k+h O110's and Pmc db1sa, both much smaller than the bm12a (5,2" woofer).
At the end the neumann kh 120 came out, they are the upgrade of the k+h 0110's (after neumann bought the company K+H).
And you know what, the kh 120's are much more linear, accurate than the bm12, even down the LF's!!!
Amazing bass respond, despite their small size, you'll want to get rid of your dynaudio's if you get a pair!
I was a big fan of dynaudio bm's (the best for me are the bm5a, bm6a mk1 and the bm15a), before i heard about K+H, it's another league...the bigger O300's are fantastic, but to big for my little home studio!

Ps:i also make dance music:
isma.'s sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search