The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight...

Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight, and the guy turned down the cash because he had a friend coming to look at it and make an offer. And this was AFTER i spent 20+ mins playing it. WTF! Tell me this **** BEFORE i waste 3 ****ing hours of my time.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

moan zone?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not really
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
That sucks man.. you'd love that synth.

bit big tho...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

I saw that one on craigslist for $1500.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are 2 of them on for $1500. One is fake, one isn't. Just a bit flaky =o]
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
There was a guy in Chicago selling a Jupiter 6 with the keys cut off.. but with no patch memory for $600.

I kick myself in the face everytime I think about it...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not buying a Jupiter 6

there...fixed your title.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

In hindsight, the guy may well have done you a favour.

I was seriously underwhelmed with the JP6. Really wanted to like it too.

One of the big poly analogue classics it ain't imho.
Old 15th September 2011
tomcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
In hindsight, the guy may well have done you a favour.

I was seriously underwhelmed with the JP6. Really wanted to like it too.

One of the big poly analogue classics it ain't imho.
I agree as I had to choose between the JP6 and Korg Trident and I kept the Trident Only regret should have kept both, but the hype about the JP6 is not justified. Theres better polys out there for the money
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The short time i had with it, i really enjoyed it. And that's the cheapest one i'll probably ever find.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

id take a jp6 over a trident any day of the week . but its all personal preferences
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
id take a jp6 over a trident any day of the week . but its all personal preferences
Agreed, as always

Also I'd say the same for the Trident. As much as I like it, in no way would I class it as a classic.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
There was a guy in Chicago selling a Jupiter 6 with the keys cut off.. but with no patch memory for $600.

I kick myself in the face everytime I think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Here's the story of how I didn't get my Jupiter...

Shortly after I first started messing around with making music, I met my first co-producer. He'd just got back into making music after a near 10 year break from it.

We were solidly of the opinion that ITB was the way forward, we didn't even consider using his 'old piece of junk' synth stuck on top of his wardrobe.

We made some really crappy, wimpy tracks together in Reason.

We've not done any music together for a while, but are still good mates. I saw him recently and (now I am slightly more knowledgeable about hardware) I asked "have you still got that old synth you used to have?... what is it?"

"It was a Jupiter 6" He said... "But I sold it last year for £100 to my ex-girlfriend's housemate"

My jaw dropped open.

"Oh no... it had a faulty key on the keyboard" he said... as if to explain the low price tag.

If only I'd have realised sooner

Someone got themselves a real bargain for £100!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

i honestly don't think the Jupiter 6 is worth more than $750.00 and there is a good deal of hype jacking the price. i had one for a few years and it was fun, but i found myself trying to justify it all the time. "it sits in a mix well" or "the bass is HUGE" or "it's a classic" not "damn that sound can only come from this"

i miss having it, but i don't miss using it.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i honestly don't think the Jupiter 6 is worth more than $750.00 and there is a good deal of hype jacking the price.
As with anything else, it's 'worth' whatever the market is willing to pay for it.

I don't know a lot about prices in the states, but that price you quoted is barely sufficient to pick up a Juno 106 here in the UK, and I think most people would agree that a Jupiter 6 would easily trump that.

With an original 1983 list price of $3000, allowing for inflation, that would be $6800 today.

If you were to go out & pick up a brand new synth today, the closest equivalent I can think of would be the Studio Electronics Omega 6... retailing at $4000.

There's a hell of a lot of electronics inside that chassis... so I don't think current prices are wholly unwarranted.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Loads of Trident "haters." Sell me your Tridents.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
As with anything else, it's 'worth' whatever the market is willing to pay for it.

I don't know a lot about prices in the states, but that price you quoted is barely sufficient to pick up a Juno 106 here in the UK, and I think most people would agree that a Jupiter 6 would easily trump that.

With an original 1983 list price of $3000, allowing for inflation, that would be $6800 today.
i paid $750.00 for my Jupiter 6 and saw them at the price for a long time. only in the past 4-5 years have the prices seemed to go stupid crazy on everything.

750.00 is too much for a 106. 550-600 is too much, they are a 350.00 synth. but the market is willing, so the money flows.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I kind of hear what you are saying... but...

Quote:
i paid $750.00 for my Jupiter 6 and saw them at the price for a long time. only in the past 4-5 years have the prices seemed to go stupid crazy on everything.
Even on this scale, you are talking about 'a long time'... followed by '5 years'... so you are looking at approx 33% inflation over the past ten years... so that '$750' you are talking about is actually $1000 in current terms.

Add to that the ever increasing market demand as:

a.) More & more people have got into making music, and are now looking to break out from 'ITB'.

b.) Increased appreciation for all things analogue... especially VCOs.

Quote:
750.00 is too much for a 106. 550-600 is too much, they are a 350.00 synth. but the market is willing, so the money flows.
$350 is a meal for two in a good restaurant. I don't know how it is in The States... but over here, the only polyphonic analogue synths you could get at that price would be a Korg Poly-800 or a Oberheim Matrix 1000.... IF YOU WERE LUCKY... and I think the Juno is a far better synth than either of those.

If there are more people willing to pay $700 for a Juno than there are Junos available at $700... and some people are prepared to spend $750... then the market dictates that the synth is therefore 'worth' $750.

I do get what you are saying though... you wouldn't value it that highly... that's why you don't have one... and if you did, you'd sell it!!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree that $400 should be tops for a 106. They're a dime a dozen, not even close to being rare, and don't sound that good. Not to mention failing chips left and right. The JP-6 is leagues ahead of the 106. Just barely under the 8. And $1500 for a very nice condition Jupiter-6 i think is a nice price.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I agree that $400 should be tops for a 106. They're a dime a dozen, not even close to being rare, and don't sound that good. Not to mention failing chips left and right. The JP-6 is leagues ahead of the 106. Just barely under the 8. And $1500 for a very nice condition Jupiter-6 i think is a nice price.
That is what I bought my Juno 106 for in 1999 and sold for in 2002.

My Jupiter 6 is another story.... Bought for $600 in 1998, sold for $700 a year later. I had got $900 for it on ebay & then shipped it, UPS banged up the top and it was dented. Then had to sell it for $700.
I miss it all the time. Not so much the Juno 106.

It would make some sick to know how much I bought and sold my Jupiter 4, Juno 6 & Juno 60 for.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

it would have been funny if you spilled a drink on it by accident
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
it would have been funny if you spilled a drink on it by accident
And for the lulz, you'd go to synth hell ... ???

Everything has a spirit, some say (and if they didn't, it still reflects on ours) ...

Even an M-Audio Venom deserves more respect than that lol ...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The last Juno 106 that sold on UK eBay:
Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight...Roland Juno 106 Mint w/Original Case perfect cosmetic & working order | eBay

... £699 = $1105

I certainly wouldn't pay that... but some people do.

An item is worth whatever the highest bidder is prepared to pay.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

You guys will hate my jp-6 story. heh heh But I'll tell you anyway....

Bought one brand new. Toured with it for years. Got tired of it when D50's came out (I know, I know.....), GAVE IT AWAY with a nice anvil case to a buddy.

Then, out of the blue about 10 years later......my friend who I hadn't seen for a couple of years just showed up and gave it back to me -- right around the time when I was wishing I had it back. It had been sitting in his garage unused and he was moving. It had been in the case the entire time.

Perfect cosmetic and working condition. Wooooohoooooooo!!!! That was a happy day.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's a great story.

Proof when you do good you receive good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You guys will hate my jp-6 story. heh heh But I'll tell you anyway....

Bought one brand new. Toured with it for years. Got tired of it when D50's came out (I know, I know.....), GAVE IT AWAY with a nice anvil case to a buddy.

Then, out of the blue about 10 years later......my friend who I hadn't seen for a couple of years just showed up and gave it back to me -- right around the time when I was wishing I had it back. It had been sitting in his garage unused and he was moving. It had been in the case the entire time.

Perfect cosmetic and working condition. Wooooohoooooooo!!!! That was a happy day.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, I have met some very crazy and/or stupid people in my life but the guy turned down cash? Yeah, loony tunes, don't sweat it.

As far as the Jupiter 6, I've owned many Juno 106's, JX8P, MKS-80 and I have to say, I really like the Jupiter 6, imo it beat all of them. The Juno 106 definitely has a place in my heart since it's the first synth I learned to program with and I know how to get the most out of this box since I know it inside-out.

But the JP-6 has a great sound, especially with the BP filter. Love the looks too. Is it worth the $2600-3000 going rate? imo no, assuming the Juno 106 is fair valued at $400-600, I'd say the JP-6 is with $800-1200 (and $1200 would be a dead mint one still in box sitting in Nick Rhodes' warehouse and he signs it and takes a picture with you). The market however says otherwise, who am I to argue with the market.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

One of the things JP6 has going for it is reliablity ... I'd argue it's the most reliable and stable VCO analog poly ... As for it's sound, I think it's quite unique ... It's not as instantly gorgeous as JP8 (in fact, it's whole demeanor is rather cool and crisp ... like listening to the detailed structure of ice crystals ... ) but it goes to some pretty far out places ... I've been spending more time with mine lately and it's a terrific synth (particularly when layering with JP8 ... !!!) And yes, the multimode filter is wonderful and highly musical ...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post

Everything has a spirit, some say (and if they didn't, it still reflects on ours) ...

How about a Gaia? tutt
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post

true

that would just piss me off so much why waste my time, then again you get to demo a Jupiter 6 for awhile hands on which can't be all bad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search