The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Europa mangles the interface - if you need a cheat sheet to use the JP6, then, well, it's not going to be worth it IMO.
How does it mangle the interface? It simply makes it modern. Just like the KIWI Mod for the JX-3P.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

It doesn't mangle it; you merely get a bunch of extra button combinations, but the synth will remain working as you'd expect if you weren't aware that Europa is in there.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
a much better The Stranglers song

and then listen to this

i swear it's the same once they get going heh
definitely some essential similarities. North Winds was released in 1983, Circle in the sand in 1988.

This one from the same album is also a well crafted song.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initself View Post
Glue with what kind of sound? Pads?
Not so much pads, but bass. I found an old track of mine that demonstrates this well. The Xpander just "fills in" the whole bottom end in gooey way, and with just one voice.

ThickLiquid - Bleeding angel - YouTube

By contrast, here is the Jupiter 6 doing bass in unison mode.

Liquid360 Chains Of Love - YouTube
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
That was probably the only time i'll lay my hands on a JP-6. And the only one i'll see for $1500. I didn't get a call back today, so i bought an SEM Patch Panel and an Oberkorn v3.

Oh well, i have the Ion =o]
I got the chance of buying a Fender Rhodes MarkI with 88 keys this year for 700 euros.
According to ebay auctions, that's an excelent price, but unfortunately, some things went wrong and I couldn't get it.

I thought I wouldn't be lucky to get a Fender Rhodes for such a good price anytime soon, but then... I found an old advert for one for 200 euros, which amazingly was still for sale.
It is a MarkII with 73 keys, which is less valuable, but I think it will make me as happy as the MarkI would have made me, and it cost me much less (and I don't think the other could be in better condition than mine).

Good deals can always happen, maybe it was just karma and you'll get an even better deal

Back on topic... I kinda regret not buying a Jupiter 6 for 750 years 2 years ago...
But unfortunately I wasn't getting any money from my schoolarship at the time and since it was quite rusty and I was trying to get a Roland MKS80 Rev5 for 600 euros (and that one was in great shape), I had to pass...
But for sure it's a machine I'd like to try, as I quite like my MKS80 and imagine the Jupiter 6 must be really cool with those multi-mode filters.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Europa mangles the interface - if you need a cheat sheet to use the JP6, then, well, it's not going to be worth it IMO.
You can always start it up with the original system. Being able to sync the Arp to midi and get CC data to/from all of the sliders are huge improvements.

The upgrade might be a little pricey but if you want a vintage synth with modern functionality it's a great solution. Since I upgraded it certainly gets more use in my little studio. However, it is buggy when dealing with external midi clock which can be frustrating.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
My JP6 story was similar. I went to the guy's house and he had a huge collection: JP8, P5, Matrix12, mini, etc.; wall-to-wall. He had an entire house full of amazing gear, dusty Space Echos stacked in the corner... He had been collecting for decades.

I handed him the money and was walking out with the Jupiter and he changed his mind. I was half way out the door and he was was like, "wait, wait, wait..."

I stopped and said, "Hey, you're holding my money. You've got a house full of gear that people piss their pants over. This keyboard has been stacked in the corner next to those Junos for so long that you acted surprised when it turned on. Believe me, I'll give it a good home. See you later." And I walked out.

I've been burned several times before where I've driven two hours to some remote crap hole only to leave empty-handed when the seller back out of the deal.

That guy did give me a great price, no doubt about it, less than half eBay (I talked him down after watching it sit on Craigslist for a month). But my god, having something just to have it is pointless and backing out of a deal in the last moments is just f-ing rude.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast View Post
My JP6 story was similar. I went to the guy's house and he had a huge collection: JP8, P5, Matrix12, mini, etc.; wall-to-wall. He had an entire house full of amazing gear, dusty Space Echos stacked in the corner... He had been collecting for decades.

I handed him the money and was walking out with the Jupiter and he changed his mind. I was half way out the door and he was was like, "wait, wait, wait..."

I stopped and said, "Hey, you're holding my money. You've got a house full of gear that people piss their pants over. This keyboard has been stacked in the corner next to those Junos for so long that you acted surprised when it turned on. Believe me, I'll give it a good home. See you later." And I walked out.

I've been burned several times before where I've driven two hours to some remote crap hole only to leave empty-handed when the seller back out of the deal.

That guy did give me a great price, no doubt about it, less than half eBay (I talked him down after watching it sit on Craigslist for a month). But my god, having something just to have it is pointless and backing out of a deal in the last moments is just f-ing rude.
heh

I had a similar situation when I bought my Waldorf Q.

I saw the ad for £700. Phoned and offered £600. He agreed on £650 cash. I drove 30 miles in real crap traffic and finally got to his place. I checked it over and said cool. Heres £650. He said I've changed my mind on the offer. I was a little f*cked off, but really wanted it, so said 'ok, hes the £700 you were asking'. He said 'no, I changed my mind on that price too' with an annoying grin on his face. I came close to laying the sucker out seeing as I travelled some distance to get it. I think he realised I wasn't at all impressed. I put the cash in his hand and picked up the synth and walked out back to my car.

Couldn't belive the check of the fella!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
No kidding, 350 dollars for ONE meal? What is this post apocalyptic future ala-Soylent Green?

I took a lady out not too long ago for some of the best beef steaks that cost $50 each (Texas, organic, free range kind) high quality meal, amazing atmosphere that was only around $160 with booze. Two one pound steaks at a place that requires you to wear a jacket only set me back $160.

I'd skip the two dinners with you mate and pick up a used synth.

Back to the J6, have one at my studio partners place with the Europa mod. We control that and others through the Novation with automap.

Think the Jupi 6 is a thing of beauty, on its own yes, but when you start to process it through some nice outboard distortion, or heck even Ohmicide that thing is so sick you need to call a doctor.

If we want cool and weird we go with the Prophet 6, or smooth go with the OB8, its whatever works and the Jupiter 6 compliments the setup wonderfully.

Dono though we got a deal on it for $1200 (including Europa mod, and some revamping). I wouldn't drop $3k on one though, but I would drop 3 on a JP8.
I've eaten (and payed for unfortunately) steaks that cost $115 an ounce. (US)

So while it is obviously ridiculous, $50 steaks are more like the Moog MG-1 of the steak world.

And this was IN Texas!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
heh

I had a similar situation when I bought my Waldorf Q.

I saw the ad for £700. Phoned and offered £600. He agreed on £650 cash. I drove 30 miles in real crap traffic and finally got to his place. I checked it over and said cool. Heres £650. He said I've changed my mind on the offer. I was a little f*cked off, but really wanted it, so said 'ok, hes the £700 you were asking'. He said 'no, I changed my mind on that price too' with an annoying grin on his face. I came close to laying the sucker out seeing as I travelled some distance to get it. I think he realised I wasn't at all impressed. I put the cash in his hand and picked up the synth and walked out back to my car.

Couldn't belive the check of the fella!
Be glad you don't live in the part of the US I do!

If a thirty minute car ride had you miffed, you'd want to commit suicide! This city is actually worse when it comes to sprawl than most in the US (third largest in area, and 40th-something in population, makes little to no sense) but none the less a good majority of the time just for normal day to day activities you're going to drive 15+ minutes usually 30 or so.

Because of the sprawl our mass transit system is pathetic/almost non existant, so if you don't have an automobile here you are SCREWED.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure what happened on this post but I can't delete it on my phone :(
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
$350 is a meal for two in a good restaurant.
It's commonly known that the cost of living in the UK is quite high compared to many countries, even the US which in turn is more expensive than many other countries. It's funny how that $350 dinner for two drives up the price of the Jupiter 6 as well!

I never even bother to check UK ebay. Just madness the prices on there.

While I agree with you that there is no way to say what they are worth (they are after all vintage collectors items), I do think Ebay speculation is forcing the prices up higher than what the market is willing to take (a synth bubble if you will).
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
definitely some essential similarities. North Winds was released in 1983, Circle in the sand in 1988.

This one from the same album is also a well crafted song.
yeah another great The Stranglers track - i'm a big The Strangler fan. i'm into all kinds of music, mostly good music.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
$350 is a meal for two in a good restaurant.
She better be damn hot and ****ed your brains out after that, or I'm going to very disappointed in you, Simon.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love my Jp6. That and the Matrix12 is my analog duo of choice.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah another great The Stranglers track - i'm a big The Strangler fan. i'm into all kinds of music, mostly good music.
. The Stranglers were the impetus that got me started on my musical path back in the early 80's Twas the season (for synths). But they had an elevated sophistication on many levels that I admired, and still do. Actually saw them live in the 80's (Meninblack tour). That was before I even knew what a Minimoog was. Greenfield is a master of that synth. Something I reflected on years later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search