The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Went to buy a Jupiter-6 tonight... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
One of the things JP6 has going for it is reliablity ... I'd argue it's the most reliable and stable VCO analog poly ... As for it's sound, I think it's quite unique ... It's not as instantly gorgeous as JP8 (in fact, it's whole demeanor is rather cool and crisp ... like listening to the detailed structure of ice crystals ... )
to be honest, this is why i sold mine, i was expecting a sound like a Juno 60 but with 2 of everything. the cold, brittle feel wasn't what i was looking for - apparently, i was looking for a Jupiter 8
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
to be honest, this is why i sold mine, i was expecting a sound like a Juno 60 but with 2 of everything. the cold, brittle feel wasn't what i was looking for - apparently, i was looking for a Jupiter 8
I will admit that's exactly the reason I bought jupiter 6 ... but I'm glad I didn't get jp 8 first because the six has everything the 8 seems to lack a little of ... aggressiveness which is not necessarily the same thing as having snappy envelopes which the jp8 definitely has ... kind of an organic brittleness or crunch and fizz while the jupiter 8 is typically described as silky and I would agree ...

the biggest difference is that Jupiter 8 goes to that beautiful, round place so easily ...

Sent from my VM670 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i just pulled my beautiful JP-6 (with Europa upgrade) out of my rig and put the JP-8000 in its place so i'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

i've had this thing for a couple years now and all i really want to do with it when i put my hands on it is glurpy angry atonal synth noises. and quite frankly if i want to do that i have a nice modular synthesiser.

the last show i played i didn't even _touch_ the damn thing except to put it on the stand above the Z1. when i realised that i had brought a 2K USD keyboard to a gig and didn't even touch it i felt like a huge a-hole.

i bought it because, like Mr Blinky, i loved my Juno-6 but wanted "more." when i finally got it working and replaced all the sliders, i realised it was more like a polyphonic "ice queen" Synthi than what i was expecting. and i dated an ice queen for a couple years, so i'm kind of done with that part of my life.

now i'm debating wether to keep it or not. i don't want to outright sell it, but if i wound up in a situation where i could turn it into a JP-8 then i would have to think about it. but the problem with that is that i've never actually _played_ a JP-8, so maybe i wouldn't like that either.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

with some careful programming you can get some lush warm pads and basses out of the jp6 . its not all harsh noises , cross mods and hpf efx . but it is supremely good at those too.

the best thing I think as others have mentioned is its a complete poly analog package . modern reliable components , relatively affordable , fairly complex synth engine including multimode filters , usable basic midi upgradable to excellent midi . lots of the older polys are a compromise on one or more of those , despite a more vintage character.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitandtieguy View Post
i've never actually _played_ a JP-8, so maybe i wouldn't like that either.
i have, i want a System 100M instead. it's far to musical for me and having 8 note polyphony is way too much for what i'm doing. i like the Juno 6/60 better.

there, i said it.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
i bought it because, like Mr Blinky, i loved my Juno-6 but wanted "more." when i finally got it working and replaced all the sliders, i realised it was more like a polyphonic "ice queen" Synthi than what i was expecting.
I can't say anything about ice queens - never dated one - but the JP6 taught me that big-ass polysynths like that are Not My Thing, and that I should stick to adorable little monosynths instead.

I sold it last Sunday. I fired it up one last time before the buyer came over to see if I had to call him to cancel: nope. It was a good learning experience, but I didn't connect with it.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i have, i want a System 100M instead. it's far to musical for me and having 8 note polyphony is way too much for what i'm doing. i like the Juno 6/60 better.

there, i said it.

However, eight voices are needed because JP8 almost always sounds biggest and best when in LAYER mode ... So you really only have 4 note poly ... but it works out fine in practice ... Crying shame JP6 doesn't have LAYER mode as well ... Makes a big difference in final sound ... Much rather have that than splits ...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Since everyone is going on about it, personally I still prefer the jupiter 6 over the 8. It (jp8) is always too smooth and polished sounding compared to the "hard" CEM 6. Jp8 can sound aggressive but in a mix is totally lost.

All I have to say
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have the JP-6 and the MKS-80 (with programmer), and what surprises me is that they sound so different. They both use basically the same guts, just "tuned" differently. Only paid $700 for the JP-6 (in 2004) and I thought I would sell it when I got the MKS-80 a few years later. But the JP-6 has a special "something" I can't quite put my finger on, a "sharp pleasing fuzziness" that the MKS-80 lacks. The MKS-80 is drier, cleaner and more in your face. The JP-6 is more raw and bright, in a semi-distorted organic way.

I only use the JP-6 in unison mode, and to me, that's where it wins over all my other synths.

Quote:
Jp8 can sound aggressive but in a mix is totally lost.
My Xpander gets lost in a mix sometimes as well, but it works wonders if you use it to "glue" the lower midrange of the entire track together.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i bought it because, like Mr Blinky, i loved my Juno-6 but wanted "more." when i finally got it working and replaced all the sliders, i realised it was more like a polyphonic "ice queen" Synthi than what i was expecting. and i dated an ice queen for a couple years, so i'm kind of done with that part of my life.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
However, eight voices are needed because JP8 almost always sounds biggest and best when in LAYER mode
that was my assumption, and why i still want to try one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
with some careful programming you can get some lush warm pads and basses out of the jp6 . its not all harsh noises , cross mods and hpf efx . but it is supremely good at those too.
and ultimately that's why i'm not touching it. if it was my only keyboard i'd make it work, and probably love it. but it's not.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Since everyone is going on about it, personally I still prefer the jupiter 6 over the 8. It (jp8) is always too smooth and polished sounding compared to the "hard" CEM 6. Jp8 can sound aggressive but in a mix is totally lost.

All I have to say
You know, I remember when the JP6 first came out. It wasn't very well reviewed. They always kept comparing it to the JP8. Obviously, it isn't a JP8 and was never intended to be. I always prefered the hard edge sound of the JP6.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
My Xpander gets lost in a mix sometimes as well, but it works wonders if you use it to "glue" the lower midrange of the entire track together.
Exactly how I use my MKS-70 most of the time. Everyone should have something for this purpose!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

The JP-6 has always been my favorite of the Jupiters. Multi-mode filter, combinable VCO waveforms, sync in both directions, more modulation possibilities, unison mode with detune amount knob, Europa upgrade, and the most reliable.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
After using the Jupiter 6 quite a bit... I really don't find the Europa worth for it...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow I find that ridiculous. It's easily the best bang for the buck of any synth upgrade out there. MIDI controllers sent/recieved for every parameter, MIDI sysex patch dumps (don't have to use the crappy old tape interface), a million new arpeggio options including an 808 style grid rhythm mode, 2 step sequencers, several new voice assignment modes including layer mode, flash ram for program storage (no need too worry about batteries), 6x patch memory, random patch generator, hardware diagnostic checks with warning messages to tell you what's wrong, voice watch mode to see which voice is playing (very handy for calibrations)... So much more than the absolutely pathetic MIDI that it originally came with...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
true true.. I know. Never used a Jupiter that didn't have it.. but really why? Never used those features.. yet it was very comforting to know they were there.

It's a total sweet-spot synth. Adjusting the parameters live is a bad idea IMO (use the stick!!). To me it's a jam/studio synth. Using that thing live is a nightmare... your patches don't always sound the same (used it live quite a bit). Arpeggio's are great an all but really.. just use a god damn sequencer.. to me the Juno's still have a more charming arp for that whole trig in vibe.

My favorite Roland big boys are Jupiter 6 and SH-7. Both sorta ugly sounding... but magical once you sequence them..
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Glue with what kind of sound? Pads?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
probably anything... Roland JD's are like that too.. sometimes ugly on it's own.. but the sum of all parts is amazing..
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just ordered the Europa upgrade. The arpeggiator has been glitchy since I bought it ($725, nearly mint, plus anvil road case) afaik. I hope the upgrade fixes it.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
I dunno.. the arp on that thing is sort of a pain in the a..

Europa don't hurt tho.. just saying for me it wasn't needed (friend just sold his.. I'll prolly never use a Jupiter 6 ever again :(
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

That was probably the only time i'll lay my hands on a JP-6. And the only one i'll see for $1500. I didn't get a call back today, so i bought an SEM Patch Panel and an Oberkorn v3.

Oh well, i have the Ion =o]
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

$350 is a meal for two in a good restaurant.
where the HELL you eat, man?!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

I got rid of my JP-6 for reasons like what STG is saying. Just didn't sound tha t good. In my music it didn't bring anything good, despite having great programability and Europa. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't. Replaced with Xpander, that is more like it!

the JP-8 sounds great, but I can see some people not loving it. The Jupiter 6/8 have two pitfalls for me, one is the STUPID one knob mixer/crossfader, so you can't overdrive the filter in any meaningful way, too polite and limits what you can get out if the filter. Roland mono's and Juno's are more flexible in this department (osc mixer) even if with just one Osc.

Second, no Filter FM. Honestly Prophet 5's piss all over both of them in so many ways, much more versitile, but the jupiters do bring different things to the table, so to each their own.

I would vote replace with Xpander, it worked for me.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really liked the sound of the JP6. It didn't sound thin to me, but it coud've used a bit more oomph in the mid-low range. The oscs did obviously sound like VCO;s though.. they had that phasey drifty sound when you play a chord, which i love and which is the reason why i like VCO synths. I used to press the tune button just before the synth was actually all warmed up, so that it would still be a little drifty when it reached working temp

Anyway.. as much as i loved the Jupe, i was always a little concerned about it's longevity. Sometimes keys wouldn't work untill you pressed them kinda hard a few times, and then they would work again for a while. Some sliders were a little crackly, and while all these little issues can be fixed, a 30 year old synth just feels like a timebomb to me.

Besides that i was thinking of buying an A6. The prospect of a 16 voice analog synth which in principle can do everything the JP6 can do, but with aftertouch, multitimbrality, velocity sensitivity, a ribbon (one of the best out there), a fantastic pair of filters, way more flexibility etc and as far as i'm concerned better sounding to top it off made me sell the JP6. I bought it for 900 euros, and sold it for 1500 ( i did replace the fine tune pot though, since the old one was crooked and derailed).

I have to say i never looked back since.. The andy is way more expressive and inspiring to me.. i do miss the simplicity a bit sometimes.. on the JP6 you can program anything within a minute, kindof on the fly.. i hardly even saved a sound on it, since it's so easy to just program it again.

Anyway.. here's a tune that features the JP6 for bass, filterchords, leads. S&H sounds and some FX

http://www.moonbase69.nl/mp3/Trichocereus.mp3
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

regarding the value of the Europa ...

I think it's a must-have for every JP6. also my JP6 wouldn't even work if it weren't for Mr Europa (sorry, don't remember his name) who was able to diagnose what was wrong with my microcontroller board and fix it at the same time as performing the upgrade. it turned out to be a failed ceramic cap.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had every intention of doing the Europa upgrade. Especially since it was $300 less than i thought it was =o]

Damn.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
regarding the value of the Europa ...

I think it's a must-have for every JP6. also my JP6 wouldn't even work if it weren't for Mr Europa (sorry, don't remember his name) who was able to diagnose what was wrong with my microcontroller board and fix it at the same time as performing the upgrade. it turned out to be a failed ceramic cap.
Europa mangles the interface - if you need a cheat sheet to use the JP6, then, well, it's not going to be worth it IMO.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
a much better The Stranglers song

and then listen to this

i swear it's the same once they get going heh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
where the HELL you eat, man?!
No kidding, 350 dollars for ONE meal? What is this post apocalyptic future ala-Soylent Green?

I took a lady out not too long ago for some of the best beef steaks that cost $50 each (Texas, organic, free range kind) high quality meal, amazing atmosphere that was only around $160 with booze. Two one pound steaks at a place that requires you to wear a jacket only set me back $160.

I'd skip the two dinners with you mate and pick up a used synth.

Back to the J6, have one at my studio partners place with the Europa mod. We control that and others through the Novation with automap.

Think the Jupi 6 is a thing of beauty, on its own yes, but when you start to process it through some nice outboard distortion, or heck even Ohmicide that thing is so sick you need to call a doctor.

If we want cool and weird we go with the Prophet 6, or smooth go with the OB8, its whatever works and the Jupiter 6 compliments the setup wonderfully.

Dono though we got a deal on it for $1200 (including Europa mod, and some revamping). I wouldn't drop $3k on one though, but I would drop 3 on a JP8.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search