The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pioneer DJM800: What's so great about it? DJ Media Players
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Pioneer DJM800: What's so great about it?

I've read all about them. Perhaps it's because I've never used one, but can someone please explain to me what's so great about them/why they are so expensive and well-respected?

Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pioneer DJM800: What's so great about it?

I've always felt they were laid out pretty intuitively and the effects were decent though I didn't use them very much other than the roll (overuse I always found kinda cheesy but with some skill you can pull off some decent fx). I used to like mixing tracks together with the per-channel high and low pass filters instead of just "swapping" low band eq's.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

club standard. I would love to upgrade to one but there so damn expensive.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
Basically because the Flanger and Delay sounds bitchin... if that doesn't interest you .. there's better mixers out there..
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

pros:
- great layout
- decent fx
- club standard

cons
- crap sound, very harsh (especially the high frequencies)
- expensive
- faders pop off
- pioneer just makes dj stuff, no pro audio

I work with 800s on a weekly basis and I'd take a xone, rane, or ecler over it any day.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
Ecler ... fug yeah!!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hmmm, I'm still not getting why it's so expensive though...if I'm using Ableton's session view and it's build in effects and my AU's to play shows/DJ...what good would the DJM800 do me?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any one?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxz View Post
Hmmm, I'm still not getting why it's so expensive though...if I'm using Ableton's session view and it's build in effects and my AU's to play shows/DJ...what good would the DJM800 do me?
None.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post

cons
- crap sound, very harsh (especially the high frequencies)
- expensive
- faders pop off
- pioneer just makes dj stuff, no pro audio

I work with 800s on a weekly basis and I'd take a xone, rane, or ecler over it any day.
Agreed... except I actually hate the Allen & Heaths as well as the Pioneer.

Contentious, but my favorites are actually Denon & Numark.

Pioneer are the be all & end all of CDJs though IMO.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothing, old model. It has been discontinued. New one is DJM 900. But I like more how A&H and Ecler mixers sound.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

who knows...they just became a standard. I used to DJ on the older ones back in the day and the only nice thing was since everyone had them, you didn't have to learn a new mixer when you showed up.

Also, they are digital and has some sort of clipping internally that prevents you from overloading the PA if there is no compressor before the amps.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Agreed... except I actually hate the Allen & Heaths as well as the Pioneer.

Contentious, but my favorites are actually Denon & Numark.

Pioneer are the be all & end all of CDJs though IMO.
Contentious to say the least! By all means say you don't like A&H and Pioneer - but Numark? Really?

Whatever for? I don't think I've ever used a nice sounding, well built piece of Numark gear. Ever.
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashbad View Post
Contentious to say the least! By all means say you don't like A&H and Pioneer - but Numark? Really?

Whatever for? I don't think I've ever used a nice sounding, well built piece of Numark gear. Ever.
I assume you never heard their Professional Products Division stuff. Pioneer DJM800 sounds harsh and mid-fi compared to the Numark PPD and Denon stuff.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search