The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This Synth Sound? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

This Synth Sound?

Hey Guys I was hoping you could help me with this lead sound (it runs through the track just lowpassed at certain points)

Drake DJ Khaled - Im On One Instrumental (Download) Take care Beat Drake ft. Lil Wayne, DJ Kaled - YouTube

I just can't get that squaking sound

this guy is able to get pretty close (at 1:20)

Forbez DVD - Playing: DJ Khaled - I'm On One Beat Remade In FL Studio

I attached my best attempt but I can't quite get it. Thanks!
Attached Files

on one lead.mp3 (381.6 KB, 1104 views)

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

OK, so you're already pretty close to what they got in the song. But here's what I'd do to add onto what you already have.

1) Either bypass filter or lowpass filter. You got too many highs. The sound in the song seems pretty mid-heavy... which leads me to think it's being run through a bypass filter. But it could be a lowpass as well. Whatever it is, it's not as bright as what you got.

2) You're playing it with polyphony right now. The sound in the song is monophonic. You can hear the notes cut each other off. But you won't be able to play the bassline along with it... because in the song the bass is done by the bass... not the synth.

3) Add some glide/portamento.

4) Remove the panning effect... or ping pong delay. Whatever it is that's making it bounce around left to right.

...that's all I got.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

This is better but I still feel like the core timbre is off ....
Attached Files

on one lead better2.mp3 (256.0 KB, 1093 views)

Old 15th September 2011
Sample it, convert it to mono, tweak the sample.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

yeah right
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

So it looks like he made the sound in sytrus so it's definitely fm. Any idea how to make this in fm 8?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search