The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's say you work in 44.1/24bit in Ableton... Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Let's say you work in 44.1/24bit in Ableton...

and you make a track consisting of drum samples mostly 44.1/24bit or 16bit, and synths. do you dither down when bouncing to .wav?

I shut off dither in my master chain on the limiter/ozone, should I enable it in Ableton on the way out? will it improve quality to have it on?

Thanks, sorry for the newbie question!
Old 15th September 2011
ark
Lives for gear

You should dither only once, and it should be the very last thing you do to a track.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

right, I've got it shut off in everything, should I enable it in Ableton rendering so it's the last thing out, or in the limiter if it's available?

do I have to dither even if I'm all ITB and not recording anything in a higher sample rate? can't hurt, right?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You only need to dither ONCE, and yes if I were you I would shut off Ozone and let Ableton handle it as part of the wav bounce.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Some dithering processes are different than others, you should try a test render of each variety available to you and decide which sounds the best.

Try the one built into Ableton first.

Then disable it an try the one in Ozone.

Repeat, etc!

If you plan to release the outcome of whatever you're working on in a 16 bit format such as MP3 or CD you'll need to dither down from 24 bit at some point.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
You only need to dither ONCE, and yes if I were you I would shut off Ozone and let Ableton handle it as part of the wav bounce.
actually ableton live sounds pretty crappy.. you should render in 32 bit float and do the dithering in a mastering grade daw
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Seems like the PSP Xenon has it built in, and being it's the last thing I want touching the audio, I tried that and the Ableton one. I can't notice much of a difference, but if I were to guess, I'd say the Xenon with basic triangular seems to be the best.

Any tips on what I should be listening for? I'm producing loudness-war dance music here. :p
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
You always have to dither as the last step if you're changing to a smaller wordlength. There are enough dither resources out there to get to the bottom of this yourself. Try Bob Katz book or his website for starters.

It doesn't matter if you use 8 bit samples--as soon as you do any processing (fader up 0.1 dB, EQ shelf of 1 dB at 18kHz, reverb, etc), the wordlength has ballooned to the DAW's resolution, which is going to be 32 to 64 bits.

It's simple math, for example if I take two single digit numbers, 5 and 5, and I add them, now I have a two digit number, 10, that I need to keep track of. I need two digits even though I only started with one.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search