The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jexus Access Virus TI demo (Video) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

This Virus soundset by Synthetic Solutions sounds good.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is a pretty interesting read:

Syntezatory.prv.pl | Access Virus TI | synthesizer demo.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

This guy's demos always seemed to be more about the playing and the ****ed up editing technique, then the synths. (Both of which are always consistently astounding.) I do find it funny how emotional and opinionated people get about sound quality that has been thoroughly raped by YouTube.
The virus has to be used for a while to understand it's nuances, and it's pretty safe to say, in hardware form, it's the most dynamic synth out there, this side of modular, and in some regards, even more so.
Perhaps not the greatest sounding, (it is digital after all!), but definitely a chameleon. Personally, I find it's oscillators all have this bell-ish tonality which I believe is it's 'sound'. That, combined with its so-so filters and could definitely turn some people off. But then there's some people that definitely need to be turned off.
Jexus, however, is not one of them! It's a great demo, like all of the ones he produces.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well Mr. oLO Garb did it again.

Just picked up a Virus TI 61kb, and on this one
i have to dissagree with Jexus, I think its a pretty
Amazing synth, granted the user interface isn,t as straighforward
As say the Waldorf Q, and a great deal of the presets are
Generic dance music type sounds but once you start digging
Into it you can get some pretty epic sounds out of it.

He has to stop making these bloody videos, ahh GAS
LK
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

His Waldorf Q demos are so much better.

Q sounds better too, IMHO.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear
Very bad piano technique. Constantly lifting and curling his right hand WILL lead to RSI. If he does not make corrections he will be lucky to still be able to play at all when he is older.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Very bad piano technique. Constantly lifting and curling his right hand WILL lead to RSI. If he does not make corrections he will be lucky to still be able to play at all when he is older.
He's not a bloody pianist, dude. I doubt he cares, anyways.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Where do we find these people?
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

That's for sure.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

I also have a Waldorf Q keyboard and an XTK
I think it a bit unfair to say the Q sounds better, just different
Still I haven,t taken the TI to the studio to compare side by side
With the Q, but I,ll let you know my opinion once I have

I,m still just getting used to the TI , checking out online patches
Etc, but if anything I think it,ll complement my other synths.

Cheers
LK
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Of course they sound different. I'm just saying, to me, Q sounds better, fits me better.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Still waiting for Virus part 2 though... Thought he posted the second part when thread was revived.
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As a classical piano player and trained by Russians and Cubans in technique I can tell you that for what Jexus does I really don´t think he will have technique problems in the future. He is more a programmer than a piano player.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Seriously I do not understand these haters on the virus, I bet you do not even own One......Just parrot what you hear...

This synth bangs and you cannot even begin to compare it to a damn plugin.............
Over an out
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm surprised he hasn't explored the V-Synth yet -- unless I'm just missing it.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine8 View Post
Seriously I do not understand these haters on the virus, I bet you do not even own One......Just parrot what you hear...
Well, I used to own one. There's a reason why it's no longer here. As for the Q, that one is here to stay. It has a personality, an engaging, different sound, and it is hella fun to program, play and use. It doesn't fit as easily into a track as the Virus tends to do, but even with my mixing skills I can get around that pretty easily. The Virus, on the other hand, is capable (hence its use by gaziliions of professionals) but also astonishingly boring in my opinion. It's a very, very good synth, but it just puts me to sleep. Sorry, can't help it, that's the way it is.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfuego View Post
As a classical piano player and trained by Russians and Cubans in technique I can tell you that for what Jexus does I really don´t think he will have technique problems in the future. He is more a programmer than a piano player.
Also it has to be said the keys he plays aren't hammer-weighted like a real piano, as well as synth keys only being made out of light plastic.

The guy who made that comment was just being nonsensical...we get that sometimes round here.

Quote:
Yeah...there is a lot of parotting on views. It's great when people can back up their views with their own audio demos.

I've used lots of synths, and the Virus ranks among the absolute best. I tend to use them for soundtrack droney stuffs...

...but they're flexible enough to do almost anything you like, even percussion.

Quote:
This synth bangs and you cannot even begin to compare it to a damn plugin.............
There are a few on here who would tell you that there's no difference between a hardware VA and a VST plug-in in terms of potential sound/synthesis quality. Of course, this is balls, for these reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Digital hardware sounds better/different than VST because:

- it uses a dedicated DSP.
- the synth engine was lovingly developed with a single purpose in mind (rather than any PC/MAC-integration considerations. Ti, Nord Modular and X-Station excepted as they integrate specifically with the computer, tho' in each case it is non-essential to actual use).
- the outputs and quality of the DA convertors.
- the design of the user interface which is specifically conducive to that synth, meaning you get to the sound you want more efficiently, while also leaving enough room for spontaneous experimentation.

These 4 core reasons are why a digital hardware synth is better/different than a software emulation/equivalent.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
Well presets are your chance to prove your best to the customer, who doesnt have time to spend weeks learning a cramped keyboard to see if it's good.

And those "unheard" sounds I bet are unheard for a good reason, because theyre unusably ugly.
So that would rule out the much lauded Andromeda. Its presets are ****e, but it is capable of some nice stuff. Although it isn't a religious experience either, but some here would beg to differ.

As with any synth your mileage may vary. If you don't like the darker, digital types of sounds then it's not for you. The Q/MicroQ is also sort of cold and digital, but I like it as well. I have plenty of old warm sounding boards, and I like the edge that these newer boards offer. If I wanted another "typical" synth sound I can use one of those old ones. The Virus, Q, Nord Lead, and JP-8000 are great at making all kinds of tones that warmer synths can't. Virus synths also have a wealth of routings and regular upgrades from the website with new features. You can always add stuff to your audio path to temper the timbre of these VAs if you don't like them out of the box.

Regarding Jexus/WC Olo Garb he is always amusing and crazy. Even if I'm not always digging the patches in some spots, the overall presentation is always great.

In this video at 13:08 there is a nice cover of "Smack My Bitch Up".
I found several laughs, but I really like the hopping Verraux's Sikfaka lemurs.
Nice ode to Wendy Carlos at 21:10.

Keep 'em coming Jexus...
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Over an out
Well im still in the honeymoon period, without using it in tunes
But I agree, the Q has it,s shortcomings too

LK
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I'm surprised he hasn't explored the V-Synth yet -- unless I'm just missing it.
I,m surprized he hasn,t checked out the Waldorf XTK

He seems to like the Waldorf vibe, the XTK is a beast.

LK
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
But I agree, the Q has it's shortcomings too
Just like everything under the Sun has, as well.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

One thing I already dig about the virus is the ability to
Assign the effects to soft knobs, infact you can assign
3 parameters to a knob, this is lacking in the Waldorf
Products to this day.

i think the Virus gets a lot of bad wrap because it,s used
By a lot of current producers, infact I traded this one
For a Prophet 8 with a LA producer, he had 3 Virus TI,s

i have no regrets at all, cool synth I think

Cheers
LK
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
There are a few on here who would tell you that there's no difference between a hardware VA and a VST plug-in in terms of potential sound/synthesis quality. Of course, this is balls, for these reasons:
Sorry man, 3 out of 4 of those are completely nonsensical. There are terrific reasons to pick one over the other but the first three are none of them.

Let me count the ways:

Algorithms are not magically different on DSPs. Speed does not matter one iota. Saying it does is not understanding Turing, or the way VAs even work. In the end the difference is in MIPS; how many bits can you push and alter given a constrained timeframe.

The principle of FFT or a band limited oscillator works the same, except for perhaps more efficiency/fewer cycles on a DSP. These guys code in the same C/C++ and optimize parts in assembly where needed. In the end arrays of bits get shuffled; while designing musically pleasing algorithms is an art it does not have anything to do with PC compatibility.

D/A converters are manufactured by a variety of corporations. You might have seen names like Cirrus and Burr Brown. They are not built by Access themselves. Thus, use the same DA or a better one plus the amp stage and it should be the same/better. It's ludicrous to think an Orpheus or something has worse DA because it's hooked to a computer.

So, does a Virus sound awesome? Yes, but not for the reasons you mention. Are you likely to create nicer sounds and get more in the flow because the interface is great? Sure, no contest. But that's psychological, not technical: a Snow will not be as exciting.

If you want to convince people to get one, do so with arguments that can not be refuted. I only needed two reasons to buy my Minimoog: sound and interface. Not magical rainbow capacitors created by elves.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Great post, Yoozer. Lots of truth there!
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

I have had the rare pleasure of chatting with Olo a few times over the last couple of years. He's a passionate musician and totally committed to this synth demo project of his. In my opinion, no one does this demo thing better than he does. He turns these machines inside out for us. And, whether he ends up a fan of the synth or not, he gets more out of them than anyone else I've ever heard. I think he has done more to sell synths (even the ones he hates) than any paid ad campaign ever did.

Anyway, he is entitled to his opinions (wouldn't want it any other way) no matter how politically incorrect or unpopular they are. And besides, you don't necessarily have to agree with him to enjoy the music or to appreciate what he is trying to do for us.

If you've watched his videos and enjoyed his music, if you've made purchasing decisions based upon his reviews, why not tell him how much you appreciate the work he's put into this? He's taken a lot of **** from the angry Virus mob over this and I think it is undeserved (and a shame).
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusRaindrops View Post
I have had the rare pleasure of chatting with Olo a few times over the last couple of years. He's a passionate musician and totally committed to this synth demo project of his. In my opinion, no one does this demo thing better than he does. He turns these machines inside out for us. And, whether he ends up a fan of the synth or not, he gets more out of them than anyone else I've ever heard. I think he has done more to sell synths (even the ones he hates) than any paid ad campaign ever did.

Anyway, he is entitled to his opinions (wouldn't want it any other way) no matter how politically incorrect or unpopular they are. And besides, you don't necessarily have to agree with him to enjoy the music or to appreciate what he is trying to do for us.

If you've watched his videos and enjoyed his music, if you've made purchasing decisions based upon his reviews, why not tell him how much you appreciate the work he's put into this? He's taken a lot of **** from the angry Virus mob over this and I think it is undeserved (and a shame).
Well I for one have great respect for the man, have made several purchases based on his demos, for me his TI demo sparked interest but I have to dissagree he got the most out of it, there is a lot in that synth.

I thank him for turning me on to it, I,m enjoying it immensely
I,m not one of those virus mob guys, I appreciate what it brings to the table
A nice flavour to add to the Waldorfs, kinda like apples and walnuts.

I think this us Vs them mentallity is very childish, it,s a synth
And probably a classic, people will want it in 20 years because it sounds like the early two thousands, but anyway I digress, thanks WC

LK
Old 27th January 2012
He just posted part 2

Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Nice. I kinda wonder if his professed disdain for the Virus is born at least in part out of an inborn contrarianism (I think he said his favourite synth ever is like the Alesis Ion), just because both demos he did for it were not offhand productions at all, there was genuine feeling there (and the last one was by far his most visually entertaining).

He said he's going to do the Mono Evolver this year, that's the one I'm most excited for. Knowing his influences, I think he's going to love it. That thing was made for him, I don't think its potential as a musical weapon of weird anger has really been explored yet, even though that practically seems like what it was built for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search