The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Formanta Polivoks - a few issues Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Formanta Polivoks - a few issues

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I've been lurking for ages, literally, a great resource for audio production and recording tips. I'd like to become a recording engineer myself, although there is too much gear (not that I'd need it, really) and not enough money, but course, you can still record an album with three or four microphones and the right state of mind. Anyway...

I've bought a Formanta Polivoks, which has some small issues. Basically, it needs a general revision, but still, I'd like to know if some of the things are "normal":

- many of the features of the synth (for example, filter cutoff, or LFO speed) are extremely "logarithmic" in response, as in, most of the changes happen in a quarter of the entire travel of the pots, is it possible to fix this by replacing pots with other ones with a different impedance\taper?

- I can't make the filter ADSR work: the sustain pot seems to works as a cutoff frequency pot, I mean, there is no attack or decay, nor release, maybe I got something wrong

- I can't understand why the release in the amp section doesn't work, how much release is there supposed to be?

Anyway, is it easy to repair a Polivoks, just in case? I read that it uses discrete components everywhere, and that there are Western equivalents for each component, which should work just fine.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
is it possible to fix this by replacing pots with other ones with a different impedance\taper?
Yeah, no problem. Pretty much everything's discrete. Just look up the schematics - some pots are logarithmic, some are linear. One can swap that. There are mods around which use a simple resistor soldered to the resonance pot in order to stretch the (originally very samll/dense) area where the filter turns into self-oscillation.

Quote:
- I can't make the filter ADSR work: the sustain pot seems to works as a cutoff frequency pot, I mean, there is no attack or decay, nor release, maybe I got something wrong
- I can't understand why the release in the amp section doesn't work, how much release is there supposed to be?
envs are standard adsr which are loopable (!)
The layout of the ADSRs is a bit special, you can figure it out here:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/patches/polpanel.pdf
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Nut

Hi,

I took the Polivoks to a technician and well, he replaced a bit of parts, he said the envelopes now work, but there is a problem with the filter env retrigger. It doesn't work (while the amp env retrigger works), and it's a real pity. He wasn't at all familiar with the kind of synth and he also said that it differed quite a bit from the schematics you can find on the 'net, anyway, what does the filter retrigger depend from?

Adriano
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetrosillo View Post
Hi,

I took the Polivoks to a technician and well, he replaced a bit of parts, he said the envelopes now work, but there is a problem with the filter env retrigger. It doesn't work (while the amp env retrigger works), and it's a real pity. He wasn't at all familiar with the kind of synth and he also said that it differed quite a bit from the schematics you can find on the 'net, anyway, what does the filter retrigger depend from?

Adriano
In addition to the switch being in 'repeat', start with A,D,S,R all at 0. Slowly turn up the A and D and S and you should start hearing the envelope repeating. There's certain ranges for the pots where it stops repeating. I can't remember exactly which, but work each one separately. You probably need to hold a key down as well.
Old 26th June 2017
Here for the gear

I also have this synth and the filter ADSR is a bit wonky, I can't quite seem to figure it out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search