The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Differences between 808 and 606 Hi Hats Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Differences between 808 and 606 Hi Hats

I'm not a big fan of most of the overused sounds on the 808 and I think the prices that they are currently going for are ridiculous. However I do love the hi hats and I still have yet to hear anything in the analog realm that sounds better. The hi hats are the only thing I would use on the 808 and I'm not about to spend over $2000 on a drum machine just to use one sound. From what I have heard it seems as if the 606 has the same exact hi hats at a much cheaper price. Are there any differences in sound quality between the two? I know Massive Attack used the 606 hi hats on the song Angel and it sounds nice, but I have no personal experience with either drum machine.
Old 14th September 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
From what I have heard it seems as if the 606 has the same exact hi hats at a much cheaper price.
Won't work. They sound totally different.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

they are different by 202. which is like, alot.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think 2k is a little high. Plus they sound different.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

the snare is great and you can eq and process the indi outs. i lust after an 808. they are beautiful to me
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
the snare is great and you can eq and process the indi outs. i lust after an 808. they are beautiful to me
the 808 is my drum machine of choice - it's can fit nearly any mood.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have both an 808 and 606. They definitely sound different. Personally, I actually prefer the 606 hats and know many others who feel the same. They sound more alive and sizzly compared to the 808 hats which sound more muted to me.

Of course these descriptions are entirely subjective and more than likely worthless since your tastes no doubt differ from mine. It's also possible my 808 needs to be serviced back to factory specs since many 808's sound different from one another, especially 20 years after their manufacture date (same goes for my 606).

I'll try to post examples of a pattern from both dry if I get home at a reasonable hour unless someone beats me to it.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The circuits are pretty similar, but not exactly the same. Looking at the schematic, the 808's open and closed hihats are independent circuits, each with their own level pot and output. This is a lot more versatile than the 606. Also the cymbal in the 808 is more elaborate, with 3 different decaying components that can be crossfaded with the "tone" control. The 606 cymbal only has two decaying components. The oscillators appear to be tuned a little differently (the 808 uses two of them for the cowbell sound) but the filters are identical.

They sound different enough that you can identify them in a recording, so it's best to treat them as individual instruments, rather than using one as a substitute for the other.

I think the Korg KR-55 has superior hihats, but the 808 has the best cymbal.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
I could have bought one..I had the cash in hand

i called roland in the UK just to ask if they still serviced them and how available parts were.

Roland don't do repairs anymore and they said they don't make parts for it anymore. I decided not to because if something was to break i'd probably not have been able to get spare parts and that would have been £1600 down the drain
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
The Korg KR-55 would be a nice option, but it's too bad everything is preset and there is no MIDI. I'm disappointed there are differences between the two because I was really hoping I could get away with just a 606.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
The Korg KR-55 would be a nice option, but it's too bad everything is preset and there is no MIDI. I'm disappointed there are differences between the two because I was really hoping I could get away with just a 606.
Why can't you just use the 606?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict
sick shiet with cr8000 + MIDI
Roland CR8000 With Elby MIDI2SDS(X) Installed - YouTube

I seem to remeber the cr8000/6000 were similar to 808 but its been over 10 years since I heard one in the flesh. Hard to tell from this clip -i'm guessing thats the cymbal drowning out the hats...?

edit: omg - it appears the unit in the video is not exactly stock standard:
http://gumielectronic.net/cr8000/index.html
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The CR-8000 is again similar but not identical. Especially the rimshot is totally different, and it interacts somewhat with the hihat/cymbal oscillators.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Boss DR-110 is another cheap option and it sounds great to me, quite snappy all round.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Why can't you just use the 606?
I have a 606 that needs to be fixed. How can I get the bass drum to sound like an 808?

Please no suggestions for expensive plug ins or an analog tube microphone. tutt
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

get a modded one...

i owned the tr-60X for a little while, that was a complete beast

here it is in the mix:

Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_fi View Post
I have both an 808 and 606. They definitely sound different. Personally, I actually prefer the 606 hats and know many others who feel the same. They sound more alive and sizzly compared to the 808 hats which sound more muted to me.

Of course these descriptions are entirely subjective and more than likely worthless since your tastes no doubt differ from mine. It's also possible my 808 needs to be serviced back to factory specs since many 808's sound different from one another, especially 20 years after their manufacture date (same goes for my 606).

I'll try to post examples of a pattern from both dry if I get home at a reasonable hour unless someone beats me to it.
yes theyre definitely different.

for cymbals i'm liking the 707 and 909 cymbals over the 808s right now for techno/house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeroj View Post
get a modded one...

i owned the tr-60X for a little while, that was a complete beast

here it is in the mix:

lol thats really cool btw

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search