The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear MOOG Enthusiasts/Owners Desktop Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dear MOOG Enthusiasts/Owners

Since your ears have been nourished by Moogs for so long I'm wondering, out of the new mono synths that you've played, heard, seen video demos of, like the Dark Energy, SEM Pro, Lancet, Leipzig-S to name a few, do any of them impress you? Is there one that really stands out to you?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Slim phatty :D

LOVE mine. Dark energy sounds really good too, the price is definitely right for it also.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

SEM Pro was awesome though my Moog experience is limited to the Voy OS. Not really suitable without some other gear - SilentWay would help a lot if you do not want to spring for a modular but a really solid basic sound.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Minimoog model D is a beast. Nothing else I have comes close
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

my brother has had a lot of old moogs and voyagers. The best sounding one was an older (not the oldest!) model but they were a pain to use because they didn't stay in tune at all.

i currently have a doepfer dark energy and it sounds great! Not as beefy as a real moog of course but still very good. Only one oscillator but a good one!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I loved my Mopho desktop. I have a Moog LP now. The Moog is WAY easier to edit, more tactile, fit and finish is great. Filter sweep is nice and perfect.

Mopho is better it in complexity, modulation matrix, and the edginess of the sound.

Price/value ratio dictates a Tetra would be the one to buy.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

As an early model Mini D owner, I really like the (new model) SEM. It complements the Mini so nicely feature-wise (sync, pwm, multimode filter), while still offering a very compatible character of tone.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

One more vote for the Dark Energy.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Very surprised at how "Moogy" the Mono Lancet is!
A fantastic little mono, I only wish it had sync.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I Love the Slim Phatty I recently picked up. I start a lot of tracks using that piece. Full of inspiration
Old 14th September 2011
I have a Voyager and a SEM MIDI. I prefer the SEM sound, but the Voyager has more features and wider range. I'd really like a Macbeth synth.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mr Vince Clark has my vote...

Video-Interview: Erasure
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I know the FRXS is not really comparable to Moogs in sound (far from bad, just very different, largely because of the 12db filter) but for my money you get almost the complexity of a Voyager for half the price. Plus by interfacing it with my Phatty I can get my Little Phatty's filter working on the complex sounds of the FRXS.
Old 15th September 2011
A few Slim Phatty recommendations above.
But I've read some bad reviews, some from the odd owner and one in Sound On Sound.
No dismissing the great sound, but complaints about the lack of features, and some opaque, hard to find menu items.
Any thoughts?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
A few Slim Phatty recommendations above.
But I've read some bad reviews, some from the odd owner and one in Sound On Sound.
No dismissing the great sound, but complaints about the lack of features, and some opaque, hard to find menu items.
Any thoughts?
Kind of yea, you have to menu dive for some additional settings such as LFO sync times, selecting arp patterns and picking some different modulation waves. Other then that I never really need to menu dive !

The thing can sound 'samey' but that's common on a synth that has no built in fx. I use it mainly for bass. It's pretty weak for pads (when overdubbing) because of voice stealing on long release patches :(.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
what do you want from an analog mono-synth?
Old 15th September 2011
Something that sounds good with a reasonable price to features ratio.
Just checking on a few negatives I've read (kinda rare for SOS).
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Since your ears have been nourished by Moogs for so long I'm wondering, out of the new mono synths that you've played, heard, seen video demos of, like the Dark Energy, SEM Pro, Lancet, Leipzig-S to name a few, do any of them impress you? Is there one that really stands out to you?
This:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...hallenger.html

kicks serious a$$ and although it's new, it definitely sounds vintage.

Other than that, it's the usual suspects, Pro One being my fav.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Mr Vince Clark has my vote...

Video-Interview: Erasure
"For some reason, the Moog doesn't sound like an analogue synthesizer. Strange."

heh
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
"For some reason, the Moog doesn't sound like an analogue synthesizer. Strange."

heh
I also find that very strange... I own both a Phatty and Tetra and for me the Phatty sounds so much better. To each his own!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most Likely Too Good To Be True, But...

Dear MOOG Enthusiasts/OwnersMoog MINIMOOG Model D Analog Synth Vintage Mini Moog | eBay

guy claims he's got the Kool and the Gang Minimoog for only $1300. Cheaper than some Little Phattys.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
The thing can sound 'samey' but that's common on a synth that has no built in fx. I use it mainly for bass. It's pretty weak for pads (when overdubbing) because of voice stealing on long release patches :(.
Not quite sure I understand this one - why would you lose voices on an overdub?

EDIT: nevermind, I was thinking you were sampling.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, I always thought the same. That Mopho sounds much more analog and warm, and the current moogs rather sterile. Finally someone else.

Anyway, I'm also interested in people's opinion on Telemark, Leipzig etc?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Ken Macbeth's stuff
^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

MacBeth and especially MOS-LAB are the closest to the classic Moog sound that is being made today

much more authentic than the new Moogs
(which can be a painful realization for many, but it's true)
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

MacBeth and especially MOS-LAB are the closest to the classic Moog sound that is being made today

much more authentic than the new Moogs
(which can be a painful realization for many, but it's true)
True That. The Mos-Lab is beautiful sounding. I had the chance to play a mini D yesterday for the first time. I've heard it on recordings & on youtube etc. Not the same as being in the room with one. It was so big and fat it was everything everyone always said it was. Rather like the John Holmes of synths. It was so big I would have no idea where to fit it.

I love my voyager. I like how it fits with all the other synths I have. For bass duties I mostly use my voyager occasionally the CS10 and SH101. I must say though the Dark Energy seems really great. Oddly I have a SixTrak and like it far more than the mopho though one would hardly think to compare them.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah i don't want to sound like I'm ripping on new moogs - i have an LP tribute and voyagerOS and they're not going anywhere anytime soon

they are very nice synths for the money and much easier to integrate in a modern studio and live work
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have the Slim phatty here and im quite underwelmed i must say. I'm feeling a bit disillusioned. The tuning is out of control and the sound is just not really doing it for me.
Besides the immature presets (aimed at popular trance and dubstep) the oscilaters dont sound to well defined to my ears, there is something about the oscs that make it sound like something is holding it back. Especially leads don't sound very well despite all the editing i put in to it. I'm now looking funny at the SP since i turn to my much cheaper and older Jx3p and Alpha juno for leads and even basslines.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

that sounds like yours is wonky - i'd return it. the new moogs are the most stable VCOs I've ever met tuning-wise and shouldn't be giving you cause for alarm

osc sync on the phatty is gorgeous, though, and the main reason i keep it around besides it having the fastest key-action of anything I've ever used
the filter on the LP is fantastic for percussive variety, too - i daresay better than the voyager in those two areas

it's perfectly complimentary to the classic ARP sync - while the ARP tears and sears your ears to shreds, the phatty's sync sparkles like swirly gems

one caveat though - you really need the CP-251 or any external LFO patched in to get any vibrato or other modulation when using osc-sync.
the CP-251 is a must, anyway, and anyone that has a phatty but no CP is missing out BIG time
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I spent the last hour or so listening to demos on youtube. Leipzig-S, Sem Pro, Dark Energy, Lancet, and then I came upon this video and it just blows all of those other ones away. All sounds coming from the Voyager. Sounds like it's in a different league than all the others.

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spent the last hour or so listening to demos on youtube. Leipzig-S, Sem Pro, Dark Energy, Lancet, and then I came upon this video and it just blows all of those other ones away. All sounds coming from the Voyager. Sounds like it's in a different league than all the others.

This awesome demo was posted here before. This sounds so "old school" mini moog: You may tempted to state that the Voyager is closer to the Model D, than some of us want to admit. Another incredible Voyager demo was posted by DocT a while ago. Here for everyone's re-enjoyment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
http://www.trippler.net/files/xl/xlabuse.mp3

Just some quick sunday sounds. Drums from Stylus RMX, some delay from Cubase.

Quote:
OK, not really new anymore, but I loved this demo of a very raw sounding MFB Kraftzwerg:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search