The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear MOOG Enthusiasts/Owners Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i can recommend the Leipzig-S very highly. what i like about it is :

1. it sounds immense, in a very moog like way
2. it doesn't try to actually be a minimoog
3. it has some very modern and complex modulation routings that can give it a much more modern analogue sound when desired; it isn't restricted to Moog cliches.
Old 17th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
I have the Slim phatty here... the oscilaters dont sound to well defined to my ears, there is something about the oscs that make it sound like something is holding it back.
I can second this part about the sound being a little held back. let me make it clear, it is a great sounding synth, I wouldn't turn one down. However i'll put it this way, I would save up for a Voyager if I decided I wanted it without having to "double check", even though I have less experience with it. The impression it made on me the few times I did use it are still with me and I can remember it.

The LP I would want to try out again. It has a somewhat mushier texture, not a sharp and defined as the Voyager, but still very stable. I think it has a deeper sound the DSI. At the time I figured the less focused sound might be due to the patches often having overdrive, I never really experimented with it that much, but I did really enjoy messing around on it.
Old 17th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
SEM Pro was awesome though my Moog experience is limited to the Voy OS.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I have a voyager OS, little phatty and SEM Pro (can't comment on the others). Really impressed by the SEM Pro.
Old 18th November 2011
Deleted User
The controls on the phatty are too absent to just start playing with it. All the presets are generic. The keybed didn't feel nice for how much it is. I hope they redesign it. Why would anyone want a generic sounding one-note at a time instrument in the year 2011?
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters View Post
All the presets are generic
Another preset surfer who complains that synths are too generic and is too lazy to program their own sounds
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The controls on the phatty are too absent to just start playing with it. All the presets are generic. The keybed didn't feel nice for how much it is. I hope they redesign it. Why would anyone want a generic sounding one-note at a time instrument in the year 2011?
hmm You could always try programming your own sounds. It will always sound like a Moog though, and that's exactly the reason why people want a one-note at a time instrument, even in the year 2011. Nothing else sounds quite like it.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a relatively new Moog Voyager owner and I love it. It is a much deeper synth than I expected it to be, and I'm used to programming a Q... It fact, it feels almost endless in the sounds that it is capable of creating, and they all have that fat analog Moog mojo.

That said, the video demos I have heard of the SEM 2s have blown me away. I love deep fat croaky sound of them. Even with a Voyager on permanent exhibition, the SEM is definitely on my short list...
Old 18th November 2011
We're spoiled for choice really. DSI, Moog and Oberheim back in the game!

What kills me is the Leipzig, the keyboard version of that thing look so good and the demos I've seen on yt really interest me. I'd love to play one. What kills me though is that I'd have loved to have the sequencer in the keyboard version as well instead of just in the rack. You can't have everything though.

I'd really like another Analog synth one day, at the moment the most appealing are the Moog and the Leipzig. The sem *looks* really good but has slightly less features and I'm not entirely sure if I'm into the sound as much as the moog-a-likes from what I've heard.
The Voyager also is really a work of art. More so than the others.

However having said all that the synth I am most excited about right now is the one MacBeth is working on. I've heard one yt demo and I'm really impressed. Spoiled for choice.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

I played the Leipzig at Noisebug the other day and was very impressed. Great sound and great build/quality. I would love to see an SEM in the same small-keyboard format. I find it easier to work with a synth that has keys. It just feels right and you can always get to the sound without having to worry about your controller and which device/channel it's pointed to.

At the time, we were discussing which filter chip it had in it because (to my tin ear anyway) it didn't sound quite like a Moog or an SEM. To me at least, it sounds kind of unique... in a good way.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

I bought a Pulse because it has 3 oscillators, like the minimoog. And it has the same huge sound,
but a little more precise and of course the thousand other bits it has. The Pulse surely is very close.
Then the day the Pulse arrived, I bought my Model D, so I got to know the Pulse a bit before the real
thing arrived. I love the sound and control of the Pulse...

rachel
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

I have Moog Source and had the Dark Energy.

The DE sounded cold, hard, thinner and less musical in comparison. It was really hard to do proper bass with it, although outboard distortion/saturation helped. Still it sounded like a real VCO as it really had balls. It was often better than the Moog for strange effects and punchy percussive sounds.

But for my purposes the Moog Souce outshined it by far. I read the (hopefully) upcoming Macbeth mono aims to emulate the Souce's character. And it will be much more flexible.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7210631-post258.html
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The controls on the phatty are too absent to just start playing with it.
For keyboard players the interface is one of the best I've used. I didnt find it lacking at all.
Old 18th November 2011
Ive tried most of the modern stuff and IMO it doesnt capture the same raw sizzle, sweetness and character of the vintage Moogs. Ive have a Source currently. The new Moogs are nice synths - definitely. Id be more than happy with one if I hadnt heard the vintage ones damn it! The new ones are so clearly smoother and more polite. Also there can be something cheesey about the Pulse waves and no bite in the saw.

For me the SEM new ones were too clean and had harsh high freqs. MFB stuff is great value for money - but not having a higher end sound...Dominion looks interesting and very versatile.

Would like to try a Vermona. Also got my eye on the Leipzig-S - looks promising...perhaps the Macbeth but to be honest (and controversial) Im not bowled over by the sound demos so far. Compared to say a Leipzig - its double the cost probably. Wish I had the money and space for a Mos-Lab...they sound excellent...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search