The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
programming challenge! just for fun Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

programming challenge! just for fun

Do you think you can recreate THIS sound in whatever synths you have?
It's a sound from the default set of Tyrell softsynth. The picture shows the settings if that helps. I'm trying to duplicate it on a JP-8000 but are not quite there. Can any of you do it on your gear?

Attached Thumbnails
programming challenge!  just for fun-modulate.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: png modulate.PNG (555.1 KB, 85 views)
Attached Files

modulate.mp3 (658.5 KB, 253 views)

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, shoot. I fergit this is a HARDWARE forum.

But the objective is to recreate this sound ON HARDWARE. I already have it in this software version. But I'd like to recreate that sound into this hardware world. For me, my JP8000.

Anyone gonna try before it slips to page 2 and into oblivion?

I'll post what I came up with when I get home tonight. It's obviously based on that patch but I might be able to get a little closer.
A puzzler is that I seem to hear a "5th" going on at the same time, but there are only two oscillators and a sub osc. Is osc 2 detuned?? I don't get it.

And if you want to mess with that synth Mac or PC, get it here
UP-DATE: U-HE TYRELL N6 - 1.01 !!!!!! - Keys - AMAZONA.de
(this is not an ad, just occurs to me that some would like to experiment with the original sound at its source. it is freeware)
Old 14th September 2011
AvS
Lives for gear
You need a synth with two filters to make this sound. Dont think your jp8000 has that. I think making it on a Virus is possible because of the dual filters but i dont know what the feedback thing is in the osc section.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

should be able to do this on my JD-800 and Nord Lead - it's all about layering.
Old 14th September 2011
Will attempt on my PC361. Do you have any values for those knobs aside from visual reference? For instance, what does the tuning knob 1/3 of the way up correspond to in cents? What's the range of values for the envelope times? Is the wave shape continuously variable (it appears to be)? I don't have this particular softsynth, if necessary I'll download a manual/demo and see if I can figure that stuff out.

Edit: Downloaded, can't argue with the low price of free. Off to hacking...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
...A puzzler is that I seem to hear a "5th" going on at the same time, but there are only two oscillators and a sub osc. Is osc 2 detuned?? I don't get it.
obviously. see that "Tune 2" knob in the OSC section? there's also a slight bit of Ring Mod and some Soft Sync going on in there as well. as was said, the LFO is controlling the mix between the LPF and HPF. i don't think you'll get too close with the JP-8000. not sure that the Feedback control is as important to the sound as these other details.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Will attempt on my PC361. Do you have any values for those knobs aside from visual reference? For instance, what does the tuning knob 1/3 of the way up correspond to in cents? What's the range of values for the envelope times? Is the wave shape continuously variable (it appears to be)? I don't have this particular softsynth, if necessary I'll download a manual/demo and see if I can figure that stuff out.

Edit: Downloaded, can't argue with the low price of free. Off to hacking...
Thanks for trying! Would be cool to see how others do. Most synths are a lil different so I don't expect perfection. I don't have the numbers for the knobs.... looks like you found the Download. It is the 2nd patch (I think) after you hit LOAD by the patch names.
I DID change the VCOPOLES from 36db to 24db, and although it altered the sound, I didn't feel it was a big significance. I wanted it to match more synths filters out there. But the original patch was on 36

My JP8000 is missing a lot of stuff like SUB and MIXSPREAD and other weirdness, but I'm kinda close. Turning my X-MOD a little blended the OSC just enough to make it sound more like this patch than it did without it.
FEEDBACK sort of beefs up the sound and is not the same on the JP.
Kinda fun trying to get close though.

"CHAPTER 3" is sort of a unique fat, funky sound and props to the original programmer whoever it is out there.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I don't have the numbers for the knobs...
if you click on (or mouse over?) the knobs, the value will come up in the display.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

is that hugely important to anyone to do? seems like a lot of extra work catalogging all the numbers on each dial if no ones really interested. I'll do it if someone really wants it. Poserp downloaded the free synth to get all the info first hand.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah it is not the same but resembles it and is about as close as I can get.
Attached Files

jp8000x.mp3 (989.1 KB, 131 views)

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
is that hugely important to anyone to do?
nahh, anyone should be able to get relatively close by ear, assuming they have the functions built in to the synth they're using. i was just letting you know, seemed like you hadn't realized that it did that.

great synth, i love Tyrell.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, shoot. I fergit this is a HARDWARE forum.

But the objective is to recreate this sound ON HARDWARE. I already have it in this software version. But I'd like to recreate that sound into this hardware world. For me, my JP8000.

Anyone gonna try before it slips to page 2 and into oblivion?

I'll post what I came up with when I get home tonight. It's obviously based on that patch but I might be able to get a little closer.
A puzzler is that I seem to hear a "5th" going on at the same time, but there are only two oscillators and a sub osc. Is osc 2 detuned?? I don't get it.

And if you want to mess with that synth Mac or PC, get it here
UP-DATE: U-HE TYRELL N6 - 1.01 !!!!!! - Keys - AMAZONA.de
(this is not an ad, just occurs to me that some would like to experiment with the original sound at its source. it is freeware)
There are 7 voices stacked, each with 2 osc and a sub.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendejo View Post
There are 7 voices stacked, each with 2 osc and a sub.
yeah that makes it kinda tough. But I think I kinda got in the ballpark.. a big, wide ball park
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
Why would I want to make that sound? it's awful... I love bandpass but I find it tasteless...

More into the sound of the intro of the Pet Shop Boys "We All Feel Better in the Dark". nailed it on a Kawai K3.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's a billion sounds out there. I enjoyed that sound and hadn't heard it from any of my synths. So >>I<< found it enjoyable to try to recreate in hardware. Not even using it in a song, just playing with programming. That's all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search