The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Techno Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th September 2011
Deleted 2ecf148
Live Techno

is this the way its ment to be done, he looks like he has surprised himself there!

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

he's probably just DJing some loops in Live as an opener for some local industrial band.

I've seen stuff like that 1,000 times.

If I ever act like that, just shoot me. I meant it really. i keep a made out will in my gear bag with do not resuscitate instructions if for some reason i make a total mental brake down and act like that, I don't want to live anymore.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

no..thats called rum spasten in german... how can i translate.. to spasm around?

techno is only life when you actally write it on stage..everything else is playback
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

He is really on Facebook, while playing music from his iTunes library. Laptop "performances" are almost always a boring joke.

Here's how live EDM shows are done.

...and if you must use a laptop, at least do it like this:

-T
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

[/QUOTE]

Looks like he's on a treadmill
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

omg that's me. where did you find this??
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ye, nothing to do on the stage these days)
Old 14th September 2011
Deleted 2ecf148
there are hundreads of videos of him on youtube. hes raking it in
Old 14th September 2011
Deleted 2ecf148
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX23 View Post
I'm on that treadmill again!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX23 View Post
there are hundreads of videos of him on youtube. hes raking it in
to be fair, working in that genre is like shooting fish in a barrel. if "raking it in" involves a career playing and rewriting the same 5 songs over and over and living a semi mediocre and obscure existence where your coworkers are other hacks from around the globe using off the shelf ITB stuff and you play all day to juggalo wannabes.. more power to you.

His stuffs interesting, but nothing groundbreaking or unique.

Seriously, from 2000 to 2005 I must have played with 5 separate guys that looked, acted and sounded just like him. and that's just here in tampa.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

ride the pony, ride the pony..
Old 14th September 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Heckmann gets props for the CMU-810.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Heckmann gets props for the CMU-810.
why that?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
why that?
how many people have a CMU-810 let alone a CMU-810 AND SH-101 on stage live? that's badass.

here is some Blinky 909 live last night rocking a 606 and RZ-1

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/three_oscar/the_boxer.mp3
Old 14th September 2011
Too much drugs BEFORE the gig makes you NEED a laptop heh
But at least he feels his own music gives everything. How many times I saw laptop acts standing on the stage, their faces behind the screen and the only movement, that was barely visible was the finger on the mouse

Laptop-only-shows are a f***** rip off. And f***** boring. I'm not saying that the music is bad or boring. It's just that the visual aspect of a gig is an important part.

I love to work with real hardware on the stage. It's freaking stressful but it's way more fun. And even the audience respects that more. They CAN see you working hard for them.

And makes the groupies want you even more
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm all for having a good time on stage, but I think the guy over sells it a bit by doing the same thing, song after song..

but on the other hand, what else is he going to do? he has one controller and is only turning like one knob the whole time.

it's a rip off 100% it's all playback. at at least with a laptop and apc40 or something you can improvise on your patterns..

but really I dont expect much more from this in this genre. back in early 2000, I played with a guy who looked just like him, "playing" songs off of a CD that was entirely acid loops. worse thing was he brought in this old lawn chair or something that he turned into a rack with wheels and put a component CD player into it along with a amp and the CD kept skipping while he faked it to a few keyboards that weren't plugged in.

that crap is the norm now. and nobody cares, look at all of em. that's just sad. I mean really, just throw in the CD, get a beer and at least pay the girls to show some boobs and kiss or something
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not really Techno...but my vote for live electronic show of the last couple of years...

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
Jesus... all these videos suck.

I love me some Heckmann btw, but that was just odd...
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Jesus... all these videos suck.

I love me some Heckmann btw, but that was just odd...
Yeah was all I could find on youtube, seems like an early show or something. I've seen him in the right conditions, he rocks.

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknosmoker View Post
He is really on Facebook, while playing music from his iTunes library.
That's hilarious, because it's probably true. With computers, there's also less room for error. One thing I really like about "real" live shows, aside from the obvious, is that sometimes a screwup turns into something new that sounds cool. Whether it's something like an arp pattern or a tweaky knob, it gives the show a unique experience that makes it worth going to.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
^^^^^^^
eewwwwww... to all of it..
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
how many people have a CMU-810 let alone a CMU-810 AND SH-101 on stage live? that's badass.

here is some Blinky 909 live last night rocking a 606 and RZ-1

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/three_oscar/the_boxer.mp3

? ive one and use it on stage too.. but i cant see why that should be more impressive than a mopho or doepfer modular.. just looks cooler ...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jeff Mills playing his TR-909, anyone?

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieniwave View Post
super example for "rum spasten" on stage :-)
and that the absence of a laptop dont automatical qualifies as real live act.. Dont want to say that all tracks of the guy are playback.. actually too much equipment on stage for a playback show..
but
You can playback with the more modern mpc´s too thanks to longer sample times..
And most techno liveacts regardless of a real mixer on stage or not are playback shows..plus extra modulations..
Same as a dj set theese days where the modern dj mixers give lots of fx and modulation possebilitys too.

But
Most techno live acts are just a show where the "artist" knows exactly what will happen in 45 minutes time.. What most dj´s really dont know and therefore most liveaxts are less live that a dj set,
and because only music of one person is played, way more boring.

Just a little minority has the balls to really play live when the go on stage and that means to create content on stage not just press the start button of a sequencer. Usually they make bookers nerveous because the moments of silence on stage..that just dont happens with fake or partially faked live sets, except a total power failure maybe.. They even can leave the stage to have a piss while the set is running and oposite to a dj tehy usually run in loops so no risk that the record runs out.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
? ive one and use it on stage too.. but i cant see why that should be more impressive than a mopho or doepfer modular.. just looks cooler ...
any clown can spend money at Guitar Center and come home with a Mopho, but you have to know what a CMU-810 is for starters...

it's not a common gear ***** desire - everyone wants the 101 or MS-20, but who says "damn, that CMU-810 is badass, i gotta have one" other than someone who really knows about it.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
Best Live P.A.'s I've seen were from Richard Bartz aka Acid Scout back in the 90's. EVen that wasn't purely live.. he had a VS-880 in the setup.

That said tho... I just prefer 2 or 3 turntables and some vinyl. I come from the mindset that electronic music shouldn't really be live. If you're actually serious. The sound should be the star of the show. Nothing to see from the actual performer. I miss the rave days when the dj was hidden most of the time..
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a little minority has the balls to really play live when the go on stage and that means to create content on stage not just press the start button of a sequencer.
I used to play proper live techno (like Jeff Mills in that video)...I was definitely one of the few, the London scene I was in was dominated by vinyl DJ's. I played here in Berlin 2 years ago and to my infinite shame I went for tweaking sequenced tracks on play-back rather than going fakk-it and play live content.

Needless to say the gigs where I played proper live were the really interesting ones.

I promise next time I play I'll do it right

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search