The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Techno Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

So, you guys still consider a traditional dj set superior to so called "live acts"?

ITs starting to get really boring these parties with 5 live acts of their own music, I feels it a BIG step backwards. They are turning the EDM scene in to a rock concert :(
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

if everyone's using a laptop, how can you tell?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitandtieguy View Post

edit: here's a video of Prototype 909 at a party in 1996. it's short, but man it looks like a good time.

That was a party called Mars in Syracuse. I'm in that video standing behind them. There was another room with a dude The Vistor doing live ambient all night with a bass station, two ry30's, and two vcr's. That was killer as well.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
... There was another room with a dude The Vistor doing live ambient all night with a bass station, two ry30's, and two vcr's. That was killer as well.
Visitor is/was from here in Rochester, saw him play a few times back then (more of an electro sound from what i can remember, at least at the time). no idea what he's up to now.

did you ever see Point Alpha back around that time?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Visitor is/was from here in Rochester, saw him play a few times back then (more of an electro sound from what i can remember, at least at the time). no idea what he's up to now.

did you ever see Point Alpha back around that time?
no, Visitor (Shawn i think) tried to get me to play at some party in Rochester in 1996 - i didn't have enough material for the hour he wanted me to play so i passed - should have done it any way.

Point Alpha - was that the guys who wore sunglasses and black leather jackets and walked around the crowd with the 303?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Point Alpha - was that the guys who wore sunglasses and black leather jackets and walked around the crowd with the 303?
haha, no. heh

Point Alpha was my buddy Owen and his friend Luke, they played a number of parties around that time frame. Owen was doing most of his stuff around then using mainly just the SCI Six-Trak and Drum-Traks, sequenced with an MMT-8. from what i can remember, he came up with some nice stuff with such a minimal (and out of the ordinary) setup. Luke actually did all his stuff with a Roland MC-303 (woah?!), and later a RM1x. they tag-teamed their own tracks, as well as doing tracks together. i wish i had some recordings, i was pretty impressed at the time (just getting into techno then). i wonder how it'd sound to me today.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha, no. heh

Point Alpha was my buddy Owen and his friend Luke, they played a number of parties around that time frame. Owen was doing most of his stuff around then using mainly just the SCI Six-Trak and Drum-Traks, sequenced with an MMT-8. from what i can remember, he came up with some nice stuff with such a minimal (and out of the ordinary) setup. Luke actually did all his stuff with a Roland MC-303 (woah?!), and later a RM1x. they tag-teamed their own tracks, as well as doing tracks together. i wish i had some recordings, i was pretty impressed at the time (just getting into techno then). i wonder how it'd sound to me today.
i used to use a DR-660, juno 106, six trak, and a fatman with an MMT-8 - i feel his pain. i don't recall every seeing them, but, well, i don't recall many things
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownlife View Post
For live techno, you really want to check out Shawn Rudiman:
+1 for shawn rudiman. seen him many times and he is 110% live. criminally under-appreciated.
Old 10th November 2011
"Nobody listens to techno."

Eminem.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
+1 for shawn rudiman. seen him many times and he is 110% live. criminally under-appreciated.
I've recently (re)discovered him and he's my favorite atm, funky and deep/soulful, just the way I like it. And his live sets look like tha bomb! Too bad he's across the ocean all the time, anyone wants to share traveling expenses for a mini EU tour?
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

old thread I know but some good discussion was had!

Quote:
wow total flashback, that was fun doing live speaker crushing techno and hard house on the fly! I don't think we ever had a well mixed sound but I think we came up with a lot of enjoyable sets for the shows we got to play live.

freakin' mmt-8, man that was cool to punch tracks/parts in and out but also such a finicky thing at times. I should dig out the recordings of our shows from back then but I bet the playback tape hiss would kill the vibe entirely. I shall rummage thru the tapes bin at home when I get a chance this weekend.

I have a much different setup now and should've used different gear then too, even just having a TR626 would've helped me out with my drums so much more.
Old 15th January 2015
best ever (crowd going insane)
Old 15th January 2015

Live and kickin techno
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitandtieguy View Post
if everyone's using a laptop, how can you tell?
cos they look suspicious.........
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
"Nobody listens to techno."

Eminem.
Old 15th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsByJB View Post
best ever (crowd going insane)
Wow who is this? The new Armin van Buuren? Amazing!
Old 15th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search