The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Distortion Pedal not 4 Guitars Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good Distortion Pedal not 4 Guitars

Looking for hardware and not a plugin. Primarily for synths and vox. I would like it to have enough overdrive to sound like a guitar (on synths), but also color the sound in other ways.

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Good Distortion Pedal not 4 Guitars

This may help:
http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_distortion_pedal.htm

I just ordered the MXR Distortion+ a few days ago......... Along with a Behringer VD400 and MXR Phase 100.
Cheers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pigtronix Disnortion is great for synths.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. someone just recommended Electro Harmonix. any thoughts on those?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil missFlag View Post
Pigtronix Disnortion is great for synths.
+1 really great on drum machines too.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I will always recommend the EHX English Muff'n. It's really killer, and it doesn't destroy the bass.

Plus it uses real live vacuum tubes, so it will augment whatever ultra-authentic classic analog whatever you may happen to be using and not turn the super authentic girls off. Have you seen what happens when you play a Prophet 5 through a solid-state pedal? Let's just say you may as well be an accountant or something.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
I will always recommend the EHX English Muff'n. It's really killer, and it doesn't destroy the bass.

Plus it uses real live vacuum tubes, so it will augment whatever ultra-authentic classic analog whatever you may happen to be using and not turn the super authentic girls off. Have you seen what happens when you play a Prophet 5 through a solid-state pedal? Let's just say you may as well be an accountant or something.
I like the fact that it uses Vacuum tubes. that appeals to me. and it's funny that you mention classic analog synths. it is primarily for a Minimoog.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
Thanks for the replies. someone just recommended Electro Harmonix. any thoughts on those?
which ones? Lot of different flavors of /distortion/overdrive/fuzz, and they all have different characteristics.

For real hard rock type distortion, you can't beat an old Proco Rat. Cheap and nasty.

Personally, I prefer a fuzzbox to distortions, they have more vintage character.

For EHX Big Muff type fuzz and sustain, I use the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
For spitty ,vintage germanium fuzz face type fuzz, I use a Keely Fuzz Head.
For way crazy fuzz, a Zvex Fuzz Factory.
Old 14th September 2011
ProCo Rat is nice on synths and bass. I want one of these though at some point TS-303 MK2 ACID SCREAMER distortion effect for the Roland TB-303 Bassline.

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
which ones? Lot of different flavors of /distortion/overdrive/fuzz, and they all have different characteristics.

For real hard rock type distortion, you can't beat an old Proco Rat. Cheap and nasty.

Personally, I prefer a fuzzbox to distortions, they have more vintage character.

For EHX Big Muff type fuzz and sustain, I use the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
For spitty ,vintage germanium fuzz face type fuzz, I use a Keely Fuzz Head.
For way crazy fuzz, a Zvex Fuzz Factory.
Thanks for the post! probably going for more of a vintage sound. I will check these out.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

here's a few that i liked back in the day.

Ibanez TS9
Radial tonebone
damage control demonizer
EH big muff *older model*
Guyatone metal monster *not just for metal by any means*
Arbiter fuzz face
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a fan of an actual amp. On the cheap side, Orange Tiny Terror, on the more expensive side, a UK AC30. If you pick these up used, they'll retain their value.

On the ultra-cheap side, amp-sims.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Here ya go:

WMD Geiger Counter - YouTube

That'll feck you up.....not sure about the 'sound like a guitar' part however....
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Here ya go:

WMD Geiger Counter - YouTube

That'll feck you up.....not sure about the 'sound like a guitar' part however....
Beast!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Actually, what you really want it some blue face Ashly gear, like a SC-66A parametric, or any of the blue face things with a red gain knob on it......they burn like a gooden and turn softsynths into analogues.....lol, well, they are pretty damned good at it.......so good I had to buy one yesterday....and they do burn as far as making your synth into a 'guitar'.....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I'm a fan of an actual amp. On the cheap side, Orange Tiny Terror, on the more expensive side, a UK AC30. If you pick these up used, they'll retain their value.

On the ultra-cheap side, amp-sims.
i'd agree for guitar any day. Synth output is too high for an amp input and the preamps tone circuit and eq would destroy the synths character.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Tech21 Comptortion also sounds great on synths and drum machines. Its discontinued but not hard to find.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

fooloof, excuse me if I use your thread for the next question, but I think that this is the proper place, and that the question could be of interest of you:

as a guitarrist (well, almost ex-guitarrist), I lernt (too late) that the digital distorsions are very very bad when you play with other people: in order to be heard, with the use of a digital disorsion you need to play very very loud, and at the end, you only make a ball of unclear sound. On the other hand, tube distorsions have a more crude sound, but they are better suited in the "mix".

Have you people the same experience with the synths?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search