The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help: all my patches end up sounding the same Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

help: all my patches end up sounding the same

ok, so i have a pretty fair synth collection. Blofeld, Ion, Mopho & MS2000.

Out of all of these, the only synth i feel totally confident on, and can program unique sounding patches on, is the MS2000- thanks largely in part to the sequencer.

It's my Blofeld I'm trying to get inside. It has the kind of sounds that I know I'm looking for. And yet, every single patch I make ends up going down the same road. Overdriven, feedbacky sounds.

Is there a pattern you approach patch making that takes you in the direction you're looking for?

Plucked sounds that descend into feedback?
Arp sounds that cascade upon itself into beautiful infinity
blissed out atmosphere..

I seem to only be able to make the same patches on this thing. Help break my 'rut' if you know what I mean.
Thanks.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

All of my hardware synths are radically different and have different synthesis types. I have 2 subtractive synths but there is no way that I could make my Microkorg (VA) sound like the JX-3P (analog) and vice versa. Also, I can't make my Kawai K1r sound like my DX9. Though I could create similar organ type sounds with both.

I can never seem to make a patch that sounds like another.

Your problem is that most of your synths are subtractive. Try experimenting with other synthesis types.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
All of my hardware synths are radically different and have different synthesis types. I have 2 subtractive synths but there is no way that I could make my Microkorg (VA) sound like the JX-3P (analog) and vice versa. Also, I can't make my Kawai K1r sound like my DX9. Though I could create similar organ type sounds with both.

I can never seem to make a patch that sounds like another.

Your problem is that most of your synths are subtractive. Try experimenting with other synthesis types.
indeed -
and I have no intention of making one sound like the other - just mentioned the MS2000 as a benchmark of an interface that I'm comfortable with. It's indeed vastly more simple than the blofeld.

That being said, is there an "init" patch that you start from when you touch a synth that you can reliably take in any different direction? What are your best practices as it comes to making interesting, complex sounds? Mine works for that one sound type but for some reason I can't coax other types out of that synth....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just use the the factory init patch on all of my synths except my JX-3P which I think can't be initialized.

Try to use effects on your patches. 2 patches could sound completely different with different effects applied.

You really need to explore all the possibilities with modulation as well.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have an albert einstein quote that should get you to making platinum sounds in no time -

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

the very first thing i do when i'm checking out a new synth is to make the same sound i have made on all the previous synths. this way i can judge the synth based on knowns. so yeah, all my synths have the same patch on them, but man they all sound so different making that sound.

the other sounds i make, they just come out of the synths while i'm sitting there and they all sound different enough (except all the Junos heh)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search