The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do i sell my virus rack XL to buy a SEM PRO? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do i sell my virus rack XL to buy a SEM PRO?

Hi there my dear sluts!

Well, im really tempted to buy this SEM Pro from Tom Oberheim.

I was gonna go for a Telemark, but tossing some extra US$200 for me is alright.

But to finance this i will have to sell my Virus Rack XL.

Do you guys think it's a good deal? Im this close of selling it.

I have plenty of soft synths in wich i can make all the sounds i can make in the virus (U-he ACE, Zebra, Alchemy, AAS Ultra Analog).

To be honest i can't notice great difference from the Virus and those synths.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

sell it , get a virus b or c desktop later if you miss it so you get the knobs.

software will get you a lot of the virus sound , i think a lot of vsti's get modeled after that virus character because it was so popular

but I keep my b around because its not worth much 2nd hand , it has a good interface for realtime tweaking and its great to process other hardware through its efx and synth engine .

as the rack has no knobs , its kinda less appealing to keep as hardware now days when you can get that sound in software.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

an astute Gear Slutz reader should notice a theme that is played out in nearly every thread - the lamenting of long sold gear and the lesson to be learned is to never sell anything, ever.

no matter how boring you find a bit of kit, in a year you'll power it on and write an opus after feeling the emotion of finding a long lost friend.

or just jump in with both feet and sell that crap
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
an astute Gear Slutz reader should notice a theme that is played out in nearly every thread - the lamenting of long sold gear and the lesson to be learned is to never sell anything, ever.

no matter how boring you find a bit of kit, in a year you'll power it on and write an opus after feeling the emotion of finding a long lost friend.

or just jump in with both feet and sell that crap
Yeah mate, i've seen a lot of regret here... I'm afraid of boarding the same boat. It's just that i have this opportunity to sell it for a good price and i don't need to wait a couple of months to save money for the SEM.

In the other hand, it's been a couple of months since the last time i used the Virus. It's a pain in the ass to navigate thru 1000000 menus to program a patch. Sounddiver software is a piece of crap.

I was told by the admin of the Vyzor forum that the Vyzor Virus is coming til the end of this year, so i'll be able to control the rack as if it were a VST.

Vyzor Virus Sneak Preview
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
sell it , get a virus b or c desktop later if you miss it so you get the knobs.

software will get you a lot of the virus sound , i think a lot of vsti's get modeled after that virus character because it was so popular

but I keep my b around because its not worth much 2nd hand , it has a good interface for realtime tweaking and its great to process other hardware through its efx and synth engine .

as the rack has no knobs , its kinda less appealing to keep as hardware now days when you can get that sound in software.

Yeah mate, it's been two months since the last time i used the Virus. It's so much easier to load a VST and start programming. But as you said, the unit has a wonderful onboard effects, i haven't tought about that, it's not only a synth, it's a reverb/delay, chorus, phaser unit. Damn i'm thorn.
Old 14th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
It's just that i have this opportunity to sell it for a good price and i don't need to wait a couple of months to save money for the SEM.
Sell it now for a good price, and replace it with a desktop later. There are plenty around.

I think SEM Pro is next on the list for me too. Definitely want to get one while they are still a current product. Missed the boat on the A6, and don't want to do it again here.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi guys! Im here to inform that i decided to sell it. I hope i wont regret, so far im ok.

I had bought it for US$400 and sold it for US$1200, so it was a good deal.

Now im gonna order my SEM pro, can't wait to show off in the new gear's thread LOL

Just one question: I just noticed that the SEM envelope's parameters are only Attack, Decay and Sustain. How the heck are we going to adjust the release time? It's just doesn't make sense to me. This is making me consider go towards the Telemark a little bit, what do u think? Any advice welcome.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sell the Virus Rack. Get a Virus Snow or TI.
(you still have time to reconsider the SEM Pro)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
Sell the Virus Rack. Get a Virus Snow or TI.
(you still have time to reconsider the SEM Pro)
Hi there mate! Thx for the reply.

VA's are out of the table for me, my goal now is to go all analog. If i want to use VA i have my soft synths wich i really like the sounds, for me they sound just like the virus.

I have this paranoia now that all my music now must come from analog synths, otherwise i won't be happy. (i know, im crazy, but leave me be)

I only have a moog slim phatty, in wich i make all my basses and leads. And now, im even doing chords and pads by sampling it, just to everything be analog (yeah, obsession now).

The SEM's envelopes question still open.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Just one question: I just noticed that the SEM envelope's parameters are only Attack, Decay and Sustain. How the heck are we going to adjust the release time? It's just doesn't make sense to me. This is making me consider go towards the Telemark a little bit, what do u think? Any advice welcome.
Decay is also release.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Decay is also release.

Hummm this thing is bugging me. Im really thorn between the SEM and the Telemark now.

The telemark seems to be a lot more flexible and has complete EG.

I just listened to several demos of the SEM and im not quite impressed. In the other hand, i've seen several videos of the Telemark that are just amazing and it sounds really good.

I think i might go with my gut feeling and get the Telemark instead of the SEM.

It's not possible for me to test those synths in person, so, before i spend a great ammount of money in one of them, i would really appreciate if someone who has played both could give me a advice in wich the bang for the buck is higher.

thx a lot
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Hummm this thing is bugging me. Im really thorn between the SEM and the Telemark now.

The telemark seems to be a lot more flexible and has complete EG.

I just listened to several demos of the SEM and im not quite impressed. In the other hand, i've seen several videos of the Telemark that are just amazing and it sounds really good.

I think i might go with my gut feeling and get the Telemark instead of the SEM.

It's not possible for me to test those synths in person, so, before i spend a great ammount of money in one of them, i would really appreciate if someone who has played both could give me a advice in wich the bang for the buck is higher.

thx a lot
I think the Telemark has the same EG's (it is modeled after the SEM afterall).

The SEM sounds incredible. Not sure what type of sound you are looking for, and I would think the Analogue Solutions stuff sounds pretty much the same. The SEM excels at fat bass and searing leads.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the Telemark has the same EG's (it is modeled after the SEM afterall).

The SEM sounds incredible. Not sure what type of sound you are looking for, and I would think the Analogue Solutions stuff sounds pretty much the same. The SEM excels at fat bass and searing leads.
I must be going crazy, i swear that i've read somewhere that Telemark's envelopes had release parameter.

it seems that the patchbay in telemark is much more complex, and also theres other waveforms for LFO and noise.

I have a moog slim phatty for the fat basses and searing leads, the SEM or Telemark would be his companion!

I produce a bit of everything, most focused on chill out / ambient / experimental stuff and progressive trance / tech house.

As i don't need to be a musician to earn a living, this is my hobby / therapy (along with mushroom cultivation), but i wouldnt mind earning a few extra bucks with my music lol. Every now and then we have a nice shroom trip, so i make the soundtrack for it.

I like to produce music for myself and my wife, and mostly of my music at soundcloud are available to download. It's better to make music and give it for free. When you release an album it's going to be copied and uploaded by pirates so... Better give for free, promote yourself and earn money with gigs. But i'm diverting too much from the main subject now.

Well, i would like to know if with the lack of the Release parameter my soundshaping will be too limited?? I mean, i never programmed in a synth where the decay had double function, so i don't know what to expect.
Old 14th September 2011
You won't miss having a dedicated release on the SEM/Telemark. The original SEM and Minimoog D has no dedicated release either and people seem to manage fine with that.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
I sold all my hardware synths and I'm not lamenting anything, only thinga I've kept are my guitar pedals and Sherman FB2
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't miss having a dedicated release on the SEM/Telemark. The original SEM and Minimoog D has no dedicated release either and people seem to manage fine with that.
Yup, I have a mini, ads envelopes.....at first it was a bit weird, but you learn quickly how to get the feel of it & it's no big deal.....having a release parameter is cool, but not entirely necessary, for a mono synth at least....
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
Yup, I have a mini, ads envelopes.....at first it was a bit weird, but you learn quickly how to get the feel of it & it's no big deal.....having a release parameter is cool, but not entirely necessary, for a mono synth at least....

That's good news mate, i just ordered the product!

I went for the SEM patch panel and USB Kenton Solo combo!

Now i'm gonna eat my fingers from anxiety til it arrives!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search