The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can't afford Manley Massive Passive, what else? Equalisers (HW)
Old 13th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Can't afford Manley Massive Passive, what else?

So with my bus compressor sorted, now it's time to turn my attention to a good EQ for the 2 buss.

As unslutty as it may be, I just can't afford the MMP. After reading tons and tons of opinions (mainly on this site), yes I understand its the bees knees, but I just can't manage to purchase a $5,000 EQ with all the other stuff I need. Maybe one day, but it just isnt going to happen anytime soon.

So the question becomes what else is there for the 2-buss? Budget is again around $2,000. Clearly nothing at $2K is going to compare to a MMP, but surely there is something worthy at $2K.

Needs:
  • Hardware
  • Stereo
  • Parametric
  • 3 to 4 bands
  • Separate Gain, frequency AND Q/width controls for each band
  • Low and high CUT and/or shelf
  • New or used is fine.

I was thinking tube EQ's or something just to give it some "character", "color" or whatever you like to call it.

So other than MMP, what else is there that meets these criteria?
Old 13th September 2011
  #2
second hand API 5500? no Q but hey
Old 13th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
second hand API 5500? no Q but hey
Yeah, that one is on the list, but the lack of Q is definitely a problem. ( I think you recommended that to me on the compressor thread earlier, thanks).

Oh forgot to mention, new or used. (will add that to the list above).
Old 13th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

The UAD 2 plugin emulation of the Massive Passive?
Old 13th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
The UAD 2 plugin emulation of the Massive Passive?
Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned, hardware only. (added to the list). Thanks tho, I do have the MMP plugin and its great for what it is.
Old 13th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
Drawmer 1961
Old 13th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
Drawmer 1961
Nice find, and right within the price range! Thanks! Added to the list.
Old 13th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 

Perhaps the am/cha1 EQ?
Black Lion Audio | Black Lion Audio am/cha1 EQ

Those guys seem to be putting out some
quality stuff for decent prices.

For around $2.4k, you could probably find a used
Culture Vulture to pair with it for the tubes.
Old 13th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
BTByrd's Avatar
This doesn't quite answer your question, since my choice doesn't line up with your criteria... but I'll throw it out there just for fun. I'm going with a pair of Chandler Little Devil EQs to use for both tracking and bus EQ duties. Granted, they are not true stereo, or parametric... and the Q isn't continuously variable (only switchable). Nevertheless, they ooze transformer-based analog mojo.
Old 13th September 2011
  #10
shame you already got the Bus comp sorted...these look quite useful...

Old 13th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
^^^^ What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
This doesn't quite answer your question, since my choice doesn't line up with your criteria... but I'll throw it out there just for fun. I'm going with a pair of Chandler Little Devil EQs to use for both tracking and bus EQ duties. Granted, they are not true stereo, or parametric... and the Q isn't continuously variable (only switchable). Nevertheless, they ooze transformer-based analog mojo.
Yeah, but it's 500 format, which I don't have. Still not a bad idea tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Perhaps the am/cha1 EQ?
Black Lion Audio | Black Lion Audio am/cha1 EQ

Those guys seem to be putting out some
quality stuff for decent prices.

For around $2.4k, you could probably find a used
Culture Vulture to pair with it for the tubes.
Yeah, not a bad idea, added to the list.
Old 14th September 2011
  #13
I wouldn't say the Manley Massive Passive was the only 'bees knees' choice.
I'm using a couple of vintage German mastering eq's (Teldec). Very limited options, but every option sounds sweet.
Neumann eq's are usually very cheap, you could find a racked pair on Ebay.
I also have a pair of vintage Q8 mastering graphics.

I'm not a mstering engineer, but I try to have my mix 99.9% there without having to do detailed and surgical eq'ing on the 2buss.
Old 14th September 2011
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Klein & Hummel UE-400 is a very nice EQ if you can find one.
Old 14th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

How does the Toft ATC2 fit in here? Anyone have experience with this?

(Sorry no tubes nor Qs)

Old 14th September 2011
  #16
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
a-designs HAMMER

that thing is a beauty. you can find it used for $1600 ish

i sold mine to fund a massive passive.. but the hammer has a different sound than the MP and i want one back again.

they're both very very sweet sounding tube EQs.
Old 14th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
I have a MP,but I am not a fan of it on the 2buss.
Not that I dont use it there,but I find it so sweet that it is hard to find resonant freqs as whatever you turn up just sounds lush.
Sometimes I just use the hpf and turn the gain up
Check out the D.A.V mastering eq
Old 14th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Nebula and the Mamoth EQ it is the manly passive, sound soo sweet
Old 14th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Eric J, you should explore this option:
Can't afford Manley Massive Passive, what else?-gt4-2_front.jpg

GT4-2 Specifications | Aurora Audio


It has all the features you specified, and (I have the 8 channel version) it totally rocks.
Old 14th September 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I wouldn't say the Manley Massive Passive was the only 'bees knees' choice.
I'm using a couple of vintage German mastering eq's (Teldec). Very limited options, but every option sounds sweet.
Neumann eq's are usually very cheap, you could find a racked pair on Ebay.
I also have a pair of vintage Q8 mastering graphics.
Interesting, never heard of these. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm not a mstering engineer, but I try to have my mix 99.9% there without having to do detailed and surgical eq'ing on the 2buss.
Agreed, just looking to add a little extra "mojo", "sweetening", "color", or "character" how ever you want to call it. Just something that I can only get OTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kling Klang View Post
Klein & Hummel UE-400 is a very nice EQ if you can find one.
Definitely hard to find, will keep an eye out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
How does the Toft ATC2 fit in here? Anyone have experience with this?

(Sorry no tubes nor Qs)
Yeah, really want the Q and tubes, but will consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
a-designs HAMMER

that thing is a beauty. you can find it used for $1600 ish

i sold mine to fund a massive passive.. but the hammer has a different sound than the MP and i want one back again.

they're both very very sweet sounding tube EQs.
Yeah, had this on the list. Also interested in their Pultec-style EQ as well. Only problem with the Hammer is no Q. but looks sweet otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrowne View Post
Check out the D.A.V mastering eq
Nice, added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
Nebula and the Mamoth EQ it is the manly passive, sound soo sweet
Thanks, but looking for hardware here. Got plenty of software EQ's.
Old 14th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Eric J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
Eric J, you should explore this option:
Attachment 253523

GT4-2 Specifications | Aurora Audio


I have the 8 channel version, and it totally rocks.
Yes! That looks real nice and fits the bill. Only problem is I cant find a price on it anywhere. How much & where to buy?
Old 14th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
seen-da-sizer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Yes! That looks real nice and fits the bill. Only problem is I cant find a price on it anywhere. How much & where to buy?
Based on this site it retails at $3,375.
Old 14th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Trust me, the Aurora Audio EQ does deserve its own, non multi-quoted response....

You can probably get a better price if you just call Aurora Audio and talk to Geoff. Which, I might add, is one of the wonderful things about dealing with them.
Old 14th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
You might find a used Gyraf Gyratec XIV close to your budget - fits your bill beautifully. Also in the same price range is the Retro 2A3 for Pultec style. Both are pushing your budget but with some luck and a stretch...
Old 14th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
You might find a used Gyraf Gyratec XIV close to your budget - fits your bill beautifully.
That looks sweet! I like the idea of "sounds like a Pultec, but with more versatility" - have you ever compared it to a Pultec?

Not sure about the likelihood of finding one used though; seems like there's been only 3 ever posted in the GS classifieds. People who bought them must like them. I was thinking my next aquisition was going to be a FLEA 47, but this is giving me second thoughts; you can never have too many EQ's or mics.....
Old 14th September 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
That looks sweet! I like the idea of "sounds like a Pultec, but with more versatility" - have you ever compared it to a Pultec?

Not sure about the likelihood of finding one used though; seems like there's been only 3 ever posted in the GS classifieds. People who bought them must like them. I was thinking my next aquisition was going to be a FLEA 47, but this is giving me second thoughts; you can never have too many EQ's or mics.....
don't own it... on my short list... along with their comp.
Old 14th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
I would recommend a sontec 250ex. Same layout as a GML 8200, but with sweeter tops and Midrange at half the price.

That and a vari-mu compressor and you should be able to cover most bases sonically in the right hands.

Manley is nice but I found not great in the low end. Pultec variant would he better for that- there are many to choose from. The gyraf isn't based on the pultec, apart from having passive components and a tube output stage.

You can build your own pultec type eq from myaudiolab.
Old 14th September 2011
  #28
So what will you be using this EQ for?
Broad tone shaping or surgical correction EQ-ing?

Another thing to consider: 2k is a lot of money but it will not buy you a stereo EQ that really shines compared to a good pluggin EQ.
Sure, there WILL be a difference but but not a lot.
In the end, if you're still a hardware addict, you WILL replace that 2k EQ with something better, I can assure you.
Old 14th September 2011
  #29
I found love with the Langevin Mini Massive when I tried it out. Regardless of your requirements, this equalizer is absolutely gorgeous sounding on the 2-buss and everywhere else.
Old 14th September 2011
  #30
You might like this one. Can't go wrong with a Sontec

Sontec MEP-250EX Two Channel Parametric Equalizer | VintageKing.com

on a second note, a bit more expensive but close to what you're looking for, is the Mini Massive.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump