The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can't afford Manley Massive Passive, what else? Equalisers (HW)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
You might find a used Gyraf Gyratec XIV close to your budget - fits your bill beautifully. Also in the same price range is the Retro 2A3 for Pultec style. Both are pushing your budget but with some luck and a stretch...
Interesting, can't find a price, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I would recommend a sontec 250ex. Same layout as a GML 8200, but with sweeter tops and Midrange at half the price.
Intriguing, but out of my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
You can build your own pultec type eq from myaudiolab.
Yeah, can't really do that. Don't have the tools or the skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
So what will you be using this EQ for?
Broad tone shaping or surgical correction EQ-ing?
Definitely broad tone shaping. Surgical EQ is done on individual tracks for me. Mostly on my own tracks, but I do have occasional instances of post and mastering-type work (not true mastering, but helping out a friend) where I'm having to operate on a stereo mix without access to individual channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Another thing to consider: 2k is a lot of money but it will not buy you a stereo EQ that really shines compared to a good pluggin EQ.

Sure, there WILL be a difference but but not a lot.
In the end, if you're still a hardware addict, you WILL replace that 2k EQ with something better, I can assure you.
Well see the thing is, I've now been to a friends studio twice where we ran my tracks though some tests with all-software, then low-end hardware and finally high-end hardware. Even running stuff through relatively inexpensive hardware (TL Audio, Joe Meek, etc.) made a noticeable difference versus the software only tests. It's like, it kind of "smeared" it in a way and took away a some of that "clinical" sound from an ITB, all-software mix. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it, but it just sounded better to my ears. And he has the same monitors I have, so it was a fairly direct comparison.

In addition, this was only on the 2-buss, never mind if I had the opportunity to track individual parts through the hardware form the beginning. He does this on his work and it makes a difference.

The high end stuff, well, clearly there was no contest, but I don't expect to get a $10,000 sound from a $2,000 unit. I know what to expect, its just I know where by budget lies and what I can realistically afford. I'd love to spend 5 figures on some choice outboard pieces but it just isn't going to happen, so I figure I'm better off getting halfway there if i cant go all the way.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Interesting, can't find a price, though.
They both list for around $3600, thus my recommendation for going used.

Quote:
Even running stuff through relatively inexpensive hardware (TL Audio, Joe Meek, etc.) made a noticeable difference versus the software only tests. It's like, it kind of "smeared" it in a way and took away a some of that "clinical" sound from an ITB, all-software mix.
Not to nitpick too much here but "smeared" is not usually considered a good thing. The thing I like about the MP is its refined textures. This is why I like tubes, for true natural transparency.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So with my bus compressor sorted, now it's time to turn my attention to a good EQ for the 2 buss.

As unslutty as it may be, I just can't afford the MMP. After reading tons and tons of opinions (mainly on this site), yes I understand its the bees knees, but I just can't manage to purchase a $5,000 EQ with all the other stuff I need. Maybe one day, but it just isnt going to happen anytime soon.

So the question becomes what else is there for the 2-buss? Budget is again around $2,000. Clearly nothing at $2K is going to compare to a MMP, but surely there is something worthy at $2K.

Needs:
  • Hardware
  • Stereo
  • Parametric
  • 3 to 4 bands
  • Separate Gain, frequency AND Q/width controls for each band
  • Low and high CUT and/or shelf
  • New or used is fine.

I was thinking tube EQ's or something just to give it some "character", "color" or whatever you like to call it.

So other than MMP, what else is there that meets these criteria?

API Militar edition? Mercury or something...
Transparent similar to Massive Passive.
http://www.jdkaudio.com/
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Not to nitpick too much here but "smeared" is not usually considered a good thing. The thing I like about the MP is its refined textures. This is why I like tubes, for true natural transparency.
"Smeared" is probably the wrong word. Whatever the opposite of clinical, cold and digital is. Its like my ITB mixes are too "clean", and running through the hardware gave it some "glue" and made everything seem to stick together much better. Even the inexpensive hardware seemed to accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
API Militar edition? Mercury or something...
Transparent similar to Massive Passive.
http://www.jdkaudio.com/
Yeah, I almost bought the JDK compressor, but it wasn't really appropriate for 2 buss usage according to API. The JDK EQ is nice, but no Q, and no cut/shelf.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

+1 I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I feel in love with the Langevin Mini Massive when I tried it out. Regardless of your requirements, this equalizer is absolutely gorgeous sounding on the 2-buss and everywhere else.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Smeared" is probably the wrong word. Whatever the opposite of clinical, cold and digital is. Its like my ITB mixes are too "clean", and running through the hardware gave it some "glue" and made everything seem to stick together much better. Even the inexpensive hardware seemed to accomplish this.
You may well like the homogenous feel of smeared. I use good outboard to give me more truth as it were, true fidelity. IME, real transparency is not aggressive, cold or hard. Unless the source truly is that way. If real quality is there at every step in the chain, the textures are effortlessly and smoothly detailed, not aggressive, nor smoothed over. And generally, you do have to pay for that.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'd just go for an eventide harmonizer.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Even running stuff through relatively inexpensive hardware (TL Audio, Joe Meek, etc.) made a noticeable difference versus the software only tests. It's like, it kind of "smeared" it in a way and took away a some of that "clinical" sound from an ITB, all-software mix. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it, but it just sounded better to my ears. And he has the same monitors I have, so it was a fairly direct comparison.
I know what you mean. For making electronic music - I dont mind about absolute high end fidelity - just introducing some hardware in the chain gives a bit more character to the signal...the distortion might not be euphonic - but its more interesting for me...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I know what you mean. For making electronic music - I dont mind about absolute high end fidelity - just introducing some hardware in the chain gives a bit more character to the signal...the distortion might not be euphonic - but its more interesting for me...
Yes! Exactly. I mean, I have Apogee converters and Focal Twin monitors with GIK treatment, so I have a decent signal path, certainly better than the average EDM producer. But I still find myself "dirtying" up by ITB sources with all sorts of overdrive, driving compression (UAD 1176 all in), saturation and distortion just to get away from that "clinical" sound. I don't use any "vintage" hardware, but I'm a big user of my vintage software instruments from Arturia, KORG (LCAE, LCDE), G-Force, etc. They just have so much life compare to some others.

I mean, he took my all ITB mix and ran it through a "lowly" TLA 5013 valve EQ unit and there was a audible improvement. It was like going from McDonalds burger to a nice home-grilled steak: definite improvement, but not exactly top-of-the-line.

Right, so then we patched in the MMP in place of the TLA and its was like going from a home-grilled steak to a 5 star restaurant. That's as it should be, the TLA is a $1K unit and the MMP is a $5K unit. Was there $4K worth of difference between them? Maybe, but either way, they both sounded markedly better than the all ITB mix.

We had similar results when comparing bus compression. ART PRO VLA II, the CL compressor (cant remember the model number), The API 2500, the SSL G-series. He has it all patched up so it was easy to just switch out gear.

So I guess the point is, I know I can't afford a 5 star restaurant, but that doesn't mean I should just keep eating at McDonalds, you know what I mean?
Old 5th November 2011
Adesigns em-eq2 and never look back.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 5th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I wouldn't say the Manley Massive Passive was the only 'bees knees' choice.
mine neither. Too "bombastic" for my specific needs. different horses for different courses..
Quote:
I'm using a couple of vintage German mastering eq's (Teldec). Very limited options, but every option sounds sweet.
these?
Quote:
Neumann eq's are usually very cheap, you could find a racked pair on Ebay.
W495 there is a stereo version
PEa stereo version as well

but the dual mono is fine, because the controls are stepped switches
Can't afford Manley Massive Passive, what else?link to ebay auction

ADT makes an affordable modern cassette type equaliser - also look at the toolmod, and the V700 versions if you want a mastering grade/type eq.
http://www.adt-audio.com/ProAudio/To...Equalizer.html
Quote:
I also have a pair of vintage Q8 mastering graphics.
picture or it didn't happen
Quote:
I'm not a mstering engineer, but I try to have my mix 99.9% there without having to do detailed and surgical eq'ing on the 2buss.
surgical eq is sometimes needed but it's best to do that at the source, instead at the mixbus.

However, since the OP asked for a color EQ, I'd recommend getting a pair of Siemens W295, or a lunchbox and put some purple ODDs or API 550a in there.
The neumann mentioned/linked above would be a great allround equaliser, but is rather clean.
I have not tried the A-design yet.
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Meh, I owned a MP for years and sold it when UAD came out with their version, which I A/B'd and then was like:

Old 6th November 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
Meh, I owned a MP for years and sold it when UAD came out with their version, which I A/B'd and then was like:

I have no idea what your talking about.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOcchialini View Post
I have no idea what your talking about.
What's to get? Hardly a riddle.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

For it's price the TL audio 5013 stereo valve EQ is great.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun View Post
What's to get? Hardly a riddle.
Well it's hardly clear. What's dude saying the Uad is just as good? Was he not that impressed? <DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've used the toft eq you posted earlier in the thread and found it really unexciting. In fact I preferred my DAW eq.
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Given my somewhat limited budget (sub$1000) I just picked up a 4 channel Trident 80B clone eq second hand for $700. Ill give it a go across the 2buss with my BC1 and use the 2 other channels for kick and bass.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear
Got a secondhand massive for $2900. Definitely worth it. Sell something, do whatever you have to do for the real deal. Life is too short to settle.
Old 13th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Got a secondhand massive for $2900. Definitely worth it. Sell something, do whatever you have to do for the real deal. Life is too short to settle.
Yeah I got a mint MP from Vintage King for $3500 with a warranty. Gone through by a tech and a new set of tubes. I don't see how a Uad can sound like this thing but if it does that's the most amazing thing ever. Honestly, although everything you do on it does sound good, its a pain to use. It's bands have so much interaction with each other, it's much harder to get it to do what you want compared to a "normal" parametric. You have to pet it a little, plead with it some, and try not to kick it. It does sound amazing.

Might not be what you want for dance music, it's very pretty sounding. You might want something harder, more edgy sounding.
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
+1 I love it!
+2

I originally got three of them and now selling one. Wouldn't live without one though. It's precise and clean, unless you want it to be pleasingly colorful with its 20 db of boost/cut and two choices of transformers.

It's small and understated but Loaded!
Old 14th November 2011
Deleted User
you should look at the Avalon AD4055 .. I don't have one but I really like EQ sectioon of my 737 and use is often ..also the 747 has a pretty good rep..you can bypass the comp if you dont need it
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

rather than start a similar thread, i figured i'd suggest a candidate, and ask for some input/first hand experience from others at the same time:

anyone try 2 summit audio FeQ-50's as their 2 bus EQ? seems to meet most of your criteria, and i'm definitely interested in using them myself as well. those, the drawmer 1961, and the TL audio 5013 all seem to be in my $1000 used price range.

out of the three, what would people say is the best bang for the buck, and why?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search