The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Voice Emulation Software Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Voice Emulation Software

I wanted to ask what the best contenders are to create choir type voices via a virtual instrument; I would be interested in producing renaissance era type choir music. Think miserere allegri an example of which can be found here. I am certain that there is no software out there that can achieve such results with perfection. Thus I am looking for the closest possible contender to the real thing...

I only know of East West Symphonic Choirs, however I believe there are at least one or two more serious contenders out there. What are they? I have checked out Vocaloid, but they seemed to have kiddish voices on all the youtube samples I encountered.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

For a single voice Vocaloid is the best period. But! you need to program this beast for all these small articulations because if don't you will end up with some mix between vocoder & melodyne.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by artech909 View Post
For a single voice Vocaloid is the best period. But! you need to program this beast for all these small articulations because if don't you will end up with some mix between vocoder & melodyne.
Interesting suggestion; Am now looking for samples of actual songs produced using this. After having watched some video tutorials on this software I have come up with another question:

Are there non cheeky kiddish voice samples available for this software? What I have heard sofwar is too childish and artificial...
Old 21st September 2011
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
edit:

Interesting contender; thanks for the feedback - I will look it up

Any other contenders out there?
Old 23rd September 2011
Akh
Gear Maniac

Check some of these out:
http://www.soundsonline.com/Vocals
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akh View Post
Check some of these out:
Vocals
Nice link - I have gone ahead and checked all the instruments out; Voices of Passion seemed to be limited to a few female vocalists and the others were not so much vocal instruments (minus symphonic choirs).

Sofare it looks like symphonic choirs is the leading contender. The only drawback with it is that it does not seem to be able to handle single vocalists, or at least handle them well as there was not a single demo that had single vocalists.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

What about Cantor?

Products
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
What about Cantor?

Products
It did not have any compelling demo's to be honest; or maybe I just missed out on them....
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Head

They way I see it for now, east west symphonic choirs is the best contender out there, because it allows you to type in what your vocalists will sing and offers a vast library of samples.

Is there no other software out there with those 2 aforementioned features?
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkatakor View Post
They way I see it for now, east west symphonic choirs is the best contender out there, because it allows you to type in what your vocalists will sing and offers a vast library of samples.

Is there no other software out there with those 2 aforementioned features?

You wont get better than symphonic choirs, not cheap but worth it.

Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

EastWest Symphonic Choirs with Word Builder can fool you especially when mixed with a few real voices for additional clarity. Tedious to program clean phrases, but nothing else comes close to this much control.

Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Requiem Light/Pro

Old 7th October 2011
Gear Head

@Liquid360 / CoolColJ

Thanks for the very informative links!

While Requiem sounds more realistic than Symphoic Choirs, I don't see how this be a serious contender compared to the latter if the phrases and syllables cannot be customized.

As I understood it all the syllables are pre recorded - no wonder they sound so realistic. Or am I wrong on my assumptions?
Old 7th October 2011
Here for the gear

I would second both Symphonic Choirs and Vocaloid
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulloebmusic View Post
I would second both Symphonic Choirs and Vocaloid
Does Vocaloid have non kiddish voice samples that come with it? Its vocals sounded a bit funny to be honest... I do like the single voice aspect of it, something which symphonic choirs seems to lack so it would be awesome if it boasted a variety of single voices.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Ahh just hire a singer.... or use a vocoder!
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Ahh just hire a singer.... or use a vocoder!
arggh... thats not an option :(
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Head

Well here is to another bump incase someone has a magic suggestion that can top symphonic choirs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search