The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi controller or Motif MOX6 ?????? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Midi controller or Motif MOX6 ??????

Dilemma:

I need to return the Axiom 49 i borrowed from a friend and need a new midi controller keyboard.

I would gladly get a Novation controller, (i get along great with Automap and my Zero Sl mk2/Launchpad work great) and save money but i also do some TV/film work and thought the Arpeggiators on the Yamaha would come in handy. I do not intend to use the synth engine at all, just trigger arp patterns.

I cannot find a software program which would replicate such arps.

What do u suggest i do. Midi controller, save money or Yamaha Mox6 ?

Thanks
Faisal
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
Dilemma:

I need to return the Axiom 49 i borrowed from a friend and need a new midi controller keyboard.

I would gladly get a Novation controller, (i get along great with Automap and my Zero Sl mk2/Launchpad work great) and save money but i also do some TV/film work and thought the Arpeggiators on the Yamaha would come in handy. I do not intend to use the synth engine at all, just trigger arp patterns.

I cannot find a software program which would replicate such arps.

What do u suggest i do. Midi controller, save money or Yamaha Mox6 ?

Thanks
Faisal
Are you sure that Yamaha's arpeggiators can be sent out as MIDI signals? I have a Motif Rack XS and, as far as I know, the arpeggiators can only be used internally, with XS patches. The Mox is based on the XS engine and it should be the same.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Are you sure that Yamaha's arpeggiators can be sent out as MIDI signals? I have a Motif Rack XS and, as far as I know, the arpeggiators can only be used internally, with XS patches. The Mox is based on the XS engine and it should be the same.

Yes they can, if a PSR series electronic keyboard can use its arpeggiator on external instruments then why not the more expensive Motif series.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Yes they can, if a PSR series electronic keyboard can use its arpeggiator on external instruments then why not the more expensive Motif series.
Yeah, but on a PSR keyboard the arpeggiator is patch-independent. On the Motif, the arpeggiator is part of patch programming.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Woah!!!!!!! I could do it on my Motif 6........i'm hoping the MOX6 has retained the ability to send arps as midi out..... that would be a bummer if it doesn't.... :(
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Woah!!!!!!! I could do it on my Motif 6........i'm hoping the MOX6 has retained the ability to send arps as midi out..... that would be a bummer if it doesn't.... :(
OK, so it's just the rack that can't do that. Not that I would actually use it, anyway.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Nope you are wrong Papi67 is right Motif arpgegiator does not send midi signals.

Unless they changed it recently and nobody from Yamaha informed me, which means I got some asses to kick.

Certainly my ES6 cant do this.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Akai MPK series has a very feature-laden arpeggiator, the options are pretty deep.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

For the OP,

Both the reviews i've read / seen state that the arp's on the MOX can be output to external gear, I've not seen it with my own eyes so take from that what you will.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've always thought the arpeggiator was internal as well, but I don't know the synth functionality super well.
my favorite thing about his MOX6 is the crazy arp sequences he has available, makes all my arps seem so simple in comparison. If I could use some of those to run some of my other gear, I'd be quite happy.
My friend's is sitting downstairs though, maybe I'll take a look later today.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'll have to research this, maybe contact yamaha.

So, any arp alternative ? Software like 7Alien or something similar for Mac ? I'd love to save money!!!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
Certainly my ES6 cant do this.
You'd better get that ES6 fixed, mine sent arp data and so does my XF. There's a switch in one of the menus to choose whether or not to send the arp data vs. the raw notes.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
You'd better get that ES6 fixed, mine sent arp data and so does my XF. There's a switch in one of the menus to choose whether or not to send the arp data vs. the raw notes.
???

ok now you got my attention, will try this ASAP. And keep you posted.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon View Post
???

ok now you got my attention, will try this ASAP. And keep you posted.
Oh you were right and i was wrong. I could not find your option but I did find an option that enables the arp for output and you can even tell it in which MIDI channel to transmit. Niiiiiice , I do not know why I though that ARP could not output maybe I was confusing it with my Andromeda or my other synths dont know. But its one of those time is great to be wrong, you made my precious motif es even more precious in my eyes and ears. Thanks!

For anyone searching is in edit voice, arp section, ouput . I am going to have fun with this one during the weekend ,
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Can you send ARP midi out with the first edition Motif 6?

I have only been able to make it work internally.

Can someone share the settings if it is possible?

Thank you
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

if you are looking for a keyboard synth nowadays I would recommend something which integrates your daw like a plugin. I use logic mainly and it has no motif integration other than external instrument, whereas the virus and korg synths for example integrate as a plugin which can be really useful. the motif has some great basic sounds

Superstringz - Evolver (Radio Edit) - Gung Ho! Recordings - YouTube
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

which Korg keyboard are you talking about ?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
which Korg keyboard are you talking about ?
the M3, maybe other new models have the plugin feature too

Superstringz - Evolver (Radio Edit) - Gung Ho! Recordings - YouTube
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Head

Sorry if I'm bumping an old post but I think this is very pertinent.

If you haven't bought the MOX6 I strongly advise you to. It is the very best thing I ever bought for production. yes the arpeggiators can be sent via MIDI. You will be surprised with what this machine can do. You can control the DAW from it, and combine it's sounds with your plug-ins, and even do your own arpeggiators.

Plus this machine is equiped to have 8 layers per key sensitivity. Which means, velocity wise, it will kick pretty much any midi controller you will find. speacially if you want to do realistic drums and stuff.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Gab
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabryel View Post
Sorry if I'm bumping an old post but I think this is very pertinent.

If you haven't bought the MOX6 I strongly advise you to. It is the very best thing I ever bought for production. yes the arpeggiators can be sent via MIDI. You will be surprised with what this machine can do. You can control the DAW from it, and combine it's sounds with your plug-ins, and even do your own arpeggiators.

Plus this machine is equiped to have 8 layers per key sensitivity. Which means, velocity wise, it will kick pretty much any midi controller you will find. speacially if you want to do realistic drums and stuff.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Gab
I agree.

I've been using the MOX6 as a controller for other synths as well as VSTs and it works much better than the two controllers that I tried before it. And, it's a very capable synth that is pretty deep. It's knobby for key parameters and the menu diving is fairly intuitive. It does come with a software editor and a librarian as well if you're in the studio or using a computer for performances. I've never regretted my purchase.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search