The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lend me your ears - Mixer+Tubehead vs Nebula Equalizer Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lend me your ears - Mixer+Tubehead vs Nebula

This is a bit like an apples and orange comparison, but I don't really care which is better or worse, I'm just interested in what you guys like better

One clip is a softsynth gone through a plugin chain and then through Nebula 3 Free on the master bus with a demo of ReeltoReal's tube preamp with some drive

The other one is the same, but Nebula is bypassed, and the audio goes out to my Speck Xtramix line mixer, into a Paia Tubehead, back into the mixer and then back into the DAW
Attached Files

CCJ_Exhibt_A.mp3 (1.50 MB, 434 views)

CCJ_Exhibt_B.mp3 (1.60 MB, 427 views)

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

clip b is way better
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
B !
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The RMS of both are the same, but you can tell exhibt A is more compressed sounding, and has more bottom end, feels louder and a more jagged top end. But I actually prefer Exhibt B in this case

Well I won't keep you guessing anymore....Exhibt B is.....drumroll.... Nebula

When I first tried that Nebula tube preamp capture of that old tape deck, it sounded very tubey to me. Definitely coloured. That "shiny" tube tone.

But the Paia Tubehead is even more coloured when driven hard, which it is in this case, due to the high gain from the Speck Xtramix - hard to figure out the signal strength on this weird mixer....

The Xtramix really warms up the sound, smooths out the top end and adds bottom end to anything I run through it, and you think that with two times through it, would be doubly so, but no the Tubehead adds so much harmonics to the signal that sometimes things sound a lot brighter through it.... not exactly what you call warm in this particular case...
Acts like an exciter sometimes. It's just a cheap self made device, and running on very old tubes. Can be a very nice Fuzz box as well!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the sound of A better - am I the crazy one?

To my ears the bass has better separation and is 'airier' whatever that might mean
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
I like the sound of A better - am I the crazy one?

To my ears the bass has better separation and is 'airier' whatever that might mean
yes, the Paia Tubehead adds bass, and the harmonics "clarifies" the tone, and the airy sound is due to the tube compression bringing out the guitar amp effect on the original Omnisphere sound.

In some ways I do like it, but prefer the smoother top end of the Nebula version tube preamp.
If I were to use the Paia Tubehead version, I would EQ the top end to round it off, with the some Nebula third party EQ libraries, or the CDSoundmaster Nice EQ VST perhaps - which also uses Nebula tech and sounds so nice, as it names suggests!
It has very noticeable valve flavour and is one of the best EQs I've ever heard, hardware or software.... certainly better than all these valve and Pulteq emulation plugins...
Free version is a must have
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

All in the box sounds and plugins - see if it can sound "analog"
Softsynths with VST delay and reverb, running into Nebula sampled Neve preamp on every channel, Tubetech compressors, and then a Nebula sampled Revox analog tape machine

Does it sound "analog"? You be the judge

Attached Files

CCJ_GrooveyWAH_NEBULA.mp3 (2.61 MB, 133 views)

Old 21st October 2011
Gear Nut

analog or not it sounds good, but is that a bit of crispy clipping on the kick? don't like it.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cause View Post
analog or not it sounds good, but is that a bit of crispy clipping on the kick? don't like it.
Well it's just an old mp3 drum loop I had around so, it's not of the highest quality
And it had some compression on it which brings it out even more

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search