The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
box 'o knobs for use with kurzweil k2000r DAW Software
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

box 'o knobs for use with kurzweil k2000r

Instead of getting a VA I am thinking of just using my kurzweil k2000 and possibly TG77 and Esq1 with a control surface. After a bit of searching it seems like there is not a huge amount of info on this, and search on Gearslutz is molasses like so I am starting a new thread.

While I have a bit of experience sending patch changes and such to my rack synths from my sequencer I have no experience with midi controllers and am not a MIDI power user yet. I don't need/want another keyboard at the moment(unless it makes cool sounds). I would probably also use the controller with my DAW, softsynths, max/msp, the generative scoring program I keep threatening to write in c, etc but mostly want it for controlling my synths while playing live or creating patches. While ideally I would build a custom midibox I really don't have time right now... The bcr2000, and the novation zero (the drum pads are a nice addition) both look nice... What are possible sources of problems/incompatibility when using them with not quite vintage synths? Are there better (or better yet cheaper and better) alternatives?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

VAST doesn't have peramiters pre assigned, so you will have to programm destinations in yourself
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

That is fairly easy to do when building patches though. I don't expect automatic mapping or anything like that. I am more worried about not taking into account the proper incantations to the dark lords of MIDI and ending up with something that sits on my desk and mocks me for overlooking some unknown(to me) compatibility issue
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would only get the Zero if I had a chance to return it. I'm very easily pleased but I returned it after two days of use. You will find the drum pads perhaps a bit less useful than you may currently think unless you've already placed hands on it and thereby understand how they feel and operate. I was also not pleased with the build quality especially the knobs.

While I wish the BCR2000 was much smaller I own 2 and have never had an issue with either and they work as I want and expect them to. I don't use them in the music room anymore however because they are ugly and I generally prefer to modify parameters with a mouse unless in a live situation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search