The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
just bought monitors that only go down to 56Hz Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2011

just bought monitors that only go down to 56Hz

Just bought alexis m1 active 520 usb monitors but i just realised it only goes down to 56Hz in frequency response. is this going to be a big problem because i usually cut my kick drum at 50Hz which was suggested to me. should i get a return and buy one that does go down to 50Hz? how am i supposed to listen to my kicks properly?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Buy a sub. Then take music that you know very well and dial in the relative balance between the new speakers and the sub until you have achieved a suitable reference point. To set up the perfect world you really need to do impulse measutrements, but I haven't done that. Keep in mind,, there are thousands of speakers out there that people listen to. Chances are what you create on yours won't be what most people listening have in their home or car. it can get a lot more involved to the point of ridiculous. I wouldn';t go there. Get a good sound happening and make some music.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Honestly if you can exchange them for another pair I would. Im guessing your price range isn't very high based on the ones you bought. If you can spend a bit extra the yamaha hs80's are really good for the money.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy View Post
Honestly if you can exchange them for another pair I would. Im guessing your price range isn't very high based on the ones you bought. If you can spend a bit extra the yamaha hs80's are really good for the money.
why do the alesis monitors suck? they were about $400.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
the hs80s look good, i can buy them if they are good. i see they go down to 42Hz. and have double the watts of the alesis
Old 13th September 2011

wait the yamahas are like $700 no way can i afford that. may look into getting a sub.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Buy a sub. Then take music that you know very well and dial in the relative balance between the new speakers and the sub until you have achieved a suitable reference point. To set up the perfect world you really need to do impulse measutrements, but I haven't done that. Keep in mind,, there are thousands of speakers out there that people listen to. Chances are what you create on yours won't be what most people listening have in their home or car. it can get a lot more involved to the point of ridiculous. I wouldn';t go there. Get a good sound happening and make some music.
can you recommend a sub within the price range of $200. don't know how much subs cost, they would just be providing all the frequencies below 56hz. but come to think of it, i have been told to cut pretty much all frequencies below 50Hz because most speakers can't even reproduce those frequencies.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
Just bought alexis m1 active 520 usb monitors but i just realised it only goes down to 56Hz in frequency response. is this going to be a big problem because i usually cut my kick drum at 50Hz which was suggested to me. should i get a return and buy one that does go down to 50Hz? how am i supposed to listen to my kicks properly?
Thats the normal or average range for most monitors, including hi-end monitors, if you want an extended range, get bigger monitors, if you want even more extended range, get a sub. But getting a sub may be counterproductive, meaning if you dont have it tuned to the room, or if your room sucks, and if you do not calibrate the sub AND speakers properly, then it may be a mess.

The above suggestion of taking music you know well and balance between the sub and speakers is NOT the correct way to do it.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you spent $400 on the alesis speakers, and your willing to spend another $200 on the sub, thats $600. For $100 more you could get the yamahas.

Your audio interface and your monitors are the most important part of the studio, I would spend what you can on those.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your audio interface and your monitors are the most important part of the studio, I would spend what you can on those.

you will use your monitors/audio interface more than anything in your studio. worth it to spend a few extra bucks if you can..

or you could stick with the alesis and just spend a lot of time getting to know them and how your mixes will translate.

i have a friend who mixed a record on crappy radio shack speakers.. one of which had a broken tweeter. he'd been using them forever and knew how they sounded and didn't want to change them until he finished the record. but he spent forever getting to know them and also checked his mixes on lot's of other systems.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Thats the normal or average range for most monitors, including hi-end monitors, if you want an extended range, get bigger monitors, if you want even more extended range, get a sub. But getting a sub may be counterproductive, meaning if you dont have it tuned to the room, or if your room sucks, and if you do not calibrate the sub AND speakers properly, then it may be a mess.

The above suggestion of taking music you know well and balance between the sub and speakers is NOT the correct way to do it.
yes thats what i thought, not a lot of monitors cover the very low frequencies. then what is the proper way to do it? my room isn't even sound treated.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
If you spent $400 on the alesis speakers, and your willing to spend another $200 on the sub, thats $600. For $100 more you could get the yamahas.

good point. so if i get these yamahas then i wouldn't need a sub. are these the best ones for that price?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Famous NS10 only go down to 60hz but many studio have large monitors.
Many speakers in the world don't reproduce lowend well. That's where mastering engineer comes in to make sure it will sounds great in many different speakers.
So in the way it's good to have monitors don't reproduce that much low end to know the majority of people's situation. But in any case it is better if you have system can reproduce lowend accurately.
By the way, low note on base is around 40hz.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
Famous NS10 only go down to 60hz but many studio have large monitors.
Many speakers in the world don't reproduce lowend well. That's where mastering engineer comes in to make sure it will sounds great in many different speakers.
So in the way it's good to have monitors don't reproduce that much low end to know the majority of people's situation. But in any case it is better if you have system can reproduce lowend accurately.
By the way, low note on base is around 40hz.
so what are you suggesting i do?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

For home studio situation, it is ideal to get monitors which goes down to 50hz and headphones to check more lows IMHO. Or instead of headphones get larger ones goes down to like 30hz like S3x-h if budget isn't an issue.
50hz is too important to hear it accurately as possible.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't recommend subs because it isn't easy to set up accurately IMHO.
I read about this which was written by mastering engineer.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

What's a "base"....are you thinking of "bass" as in a bass guitar perhaps?
Gheez talk about low end talking about low end.
If you think you can mix bass frequencies properly in an untreated room with any monitor cheap or expensive is just nonsense.
I suppose you're looking for some thump for the car.
Typical 15" woofer with a block off port properly housed in a solid cabinet maybe 40Hz....maybe....!!! 18" maybe 35hz and you'll need a decent power amp pushing that air around!
$300-$500/pair low end nearfield monitors with 5-6" drivers forget about it....it aint happenin...
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
For home studio situation, it is ideal to get monitors which goes down to 50hz and headphones to check more lows IMHO. Or instead of headphones get larger ones goes down to like 30hz like S3x-h if budget isn't an issue.
ok well then these alesis monitors won't do. can you recommend me a pair of monitors within a $700 price range or lower if preferable, other than the yamahas already mentioned.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
you seriously recommend checking bass frequency's with headphones?
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
If you think you can mix bass frequencies properly in an untreated room with any monitor cheap or expensive is just nonsense.
Typical 15" woofer with a block off port properly housed in a solid cabinet maybe 40Hz....maybe....!!! 18" maybe 35hz and you'll need a decent power amp pushing that air around!
$300-$500/pair low end nearfield monitors with 5-6" drivers forget about it....it aint happenin...
well for $700 i can get the yamaha hs80 which go down to 42Hz but thats a lot of money for me. i payed $400 for the alesis. and I'm not getting a subwoofer.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Yes I know. In the end you need Bob Ludwig room which has 16 feet ceiling LOL.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
you seriously recommend checking bass frequency's with headphones?
Well mainly I would use monitors and once in a while check with headphones. It's a compromise.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't think so...
NS10M:
SPECS Frequency Range: 60 Hz to 20 kHz
Limited frequency response, especially on the low-end.

HS80M
Frequency response 42Hz-20kHz (-10dB)

And don't forget these all roll off at those frequencies down at least -10db
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

KRK do a monitor with 8" cones in ur price range. That would give you more than enough bass to get your trousers flappin!
Larger monitors and bass-bins can cause more problems than they are worth however, when placed in small untreated rooms!

I use A7's and their specified low-frequency range is not far off from ur monitors but in reality I get a far more extended range. The room is really important down at those frequencies.

I wouldn't sweat it as sub-bass is only a couple of octaves and the only thing I have going on down there is the bottom bass note or the kick sub - Boooooriiiiiing!
Obviously depends on what music your making, but I'd stick with the one's u have if they sound good!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist22 View Post
ok well then these alesis monitors won't do. can you recommend me a pair of monitors within a $700 price range or lower if preferable, other than the yamahas already mentioned.
I would check out what's popular and ones that got award. Accuracy is important but you should be comfortable to listening to them. But I think it's best to go ask mastering engineer. They know which ones work.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror symmetry View Post
KRK do a monitor with 8" cones in ur price range. That would give you more than enough bass to get your trousers flappin!
Larger monitors and bass-bins can cause more problems than they are worth however, when placed in small untreated rooms!

I use A7's and their specified low-frequency range is not far off from ur monitors but in reality I get a far more extended range. The room is really important down at those frequencies.

I wouldn't sweat it as sub-bass is only a couple of octaves and the only thing I have going on down there is the bottom bass note or the kick sub - Boooooriiiiiing!
Obviously depends on what music your making, but I'd stick with the one's u have if they sound good!
house music! where with the kick drum it is important to monitor those frequencies, yeh I'm not too worried about sub bass.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's all just a bunch of air you're feeling anyway....
Just as a sidenote...mowmow...headphones are close enough to your eardrums to perceive more accurate bass frequencies and they do remove the room from the equation, which is why they can be used to "hear" low end content...at least with good headphones that are not the hyped ones like Dr Dre's or something like you buy at Best Buy that have some hip hop artist on the box...but as a reference monitor headphones can be very deceiving to rely on for accurate bass tone and the sound when played over any given loudspeaker in any given room will completely change the way the bass sounds anyway. It's a no win situation...
Now for car stereo's just push that low end all the way up because they're not listening to bass....they're just interested in vibrating their eardrums until they start to bleed and their eyeballs start to jitter....and that's all that's about....when they're 40 they will be deaf anyway...and their vision will be blurry....and they won't know anyway...
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Just because monitors are rated as going down to 56 Hz doesn't mean they completely stop there. This is a very common misconception. The lows are going to roll off down past that point, not suddenly drop off. Use your ears first. Get a sense of the bass response by listening to music you know that has really low frequency content.

As for headphones, you're not going to hear the bass accurately because it takes way more distance between the drivers and your ears to complete one cycle of a low bass frequency. You might get a sense for what's happening down there, but it's not going to be "accurate." It's just physics.

Of course, no matter what you choose (or are stuck with), the important thing is to learn how your setup sounds by doing a lot of listening, and make the best decisions you can based on that.
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_Ecilam View Post
Just because monitors are rated as going down to 56 Hz doesn't mean they completely stop there. This is a very common misconception. The lows are going to roll off down past that point, not suddenly drop off. Use your ears first. Get a sense of the bass response by listening to music you know that has really low frequency content.

As for headphones, you're not going to hear the bass accurately because it takes way more distance between the drivers and your ears to complete one cycle of a low bass frequency. You might get a sense for what's happening down there, but it's not going to be "accurate." It's just physics.

Of course, no matter what you choose (or are stuck with), the important thing is to learn how your setup sounds by doing a lot of listening, and make the best decisions you can based on that.
cheers i was unaware of that i thought that it won't play anything below that frequency. so this means that monitors with a frequency range below 56hz could play the frequencies better.
Old 13th September 2011

ok enough of this! i will purchase yamaha hs80m so i have a frequency range of up to 42Hz. i will also be getting my room sound treated. ill have to pay $700 for the yamahas if anyone knows of other good value monitors, let me know!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search