The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ableton Live Love Thread DAW Software
Old 13th September 2011
Ableton Live Love Thread

There's already one for logic so whatever... Post what you love about live. I'll start: instrument racks. Sooooo useful for production :D
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Things I love:

Drum Rack
Operator
Easy, Intuitive Automation
Session View / Arrangement View
Macros
Auto Send / Returns
Visual FX Rack

Things I don't love:

Unable to separate sections of the window for multiple displays
not 64-bit
not-64 bit
not 64-bit

once it is 64-bit and i can seperate the mixer from the arranger, i will be 100% happy wit hit
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I only have the Lite version, though I do find it useful. I love its warp engine and its pitch shifting.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Slice to new Midi.
The ability to try 100 things in an hour, actually inspired by the DAW itself.
Automation is THE BEST.
Even rough comping vocals is so fast.
Everything right there in front of you, speed of getting ideas down is WIN.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

p.s. Not just slicing beats to new midi. Try slicing anything, a vocal line, anything. Crazy new little grooves created instantaneously. Nice.
Old 13th September 2011
Things I want:

BUILT IN TUNER. Also an audio engine upgrade.

I know everyone else is using Recycle, but I'd like a built-in loop editor.

I'll post more as I think of them.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innoverse View Post
I'll start: instrument racks. Sooooo useful for production :D
Ableton Forum • View topic - THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity; why do you care about 64bit? If you're trying to load an 8k frame into RAM, sure, but audio?

Play multi-sampled orchestral samples directly from ram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Things I love:

Drum Rack
Operator
Macros
Auto Send / Returns
Visual FX Rack

Things I don't love:

not 64-bit
not-64 bit
not 64-bit

once it is 64-bit and i can seperate the mixer from the arranger, i will be 100% happy wit hit
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Even with Superior Drummer 2, 4 gigs RAM can be an issue sometimes. You have to cache the kits. And then you have the rest of your production looking for RAM also. Lots of reasons to want a 64bit DAW and more than 4 gigs RAM.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
Out of curiosity; why do you care about 64bit? If you're trying to load an 8k frame into RAM, sure, but audio?

Play multi-sampled orchestral samples directly from ram?
yea the answer is pretty obvious....

64-bit means i can make use of more ram, which therefore means i will be able to add more instruments, more plugins, etc....

i find myself fighting the limits of 32-bit on every single track i make
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea the answer is pretty obvious....

64-bit means i can make use of more ram, which therefore means i will be able to add more instruments, more plugins, etc....

i find myself fighting the limits of 32-bit on every single track i make
Sorry if I come across as pedantic. I'm a software engineer and I've worked on a massive 64bit port of a popular application. Suffice to say; people are really misinformed about both the benefits as a user and the cost as a developer.

For Ableton, a 64bit port is probably two years of work for the entire dev team. It would be nice if the port came with stability and performance enhancements, but more realistically, the amount of new code paths means years of testing thrown down the drain, resulting in less stability and performance. In the long run, it's definitely the right thing to do; but it's a slag and isn't as cut and dry as many people think it is. Expect the first 64bit release to be a disappointment for a long time. It will need at least a year of public beta testing.

Anyway, for me; it's session view and the ability to midi-map pretty much everything. I've got the most insanely complicated setup using chain selectors to create a a live guitar setup that does live looping with two amps, various rackmount effects.

In short; Ableton Live allows you to build instruments. It enables the creator. You make things with it.

I also think it has about the most elegant UI I've seen in professional audio/video sofware and I've worked in both fields.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
I also think it has about the most elegant UI I've seen in professional audio/video sofware and I've worked in both fields.

I remember the first time I used it. I moused over the ruler and a magnifying glass came up. "What's this," I though to myself. As soon as I clicked and dragged I knew there was no going back. Ableton is staffed by some kind of magic people, who live in little mushrooms and commune with the devil through MIDI.
Old 13th September 2011
I am so glad I finally switch from Logic Pro 9 to Live 8, I should have done it sooner!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love Live. Its the SW sequencer i've always wanted. It works like i work. I do everything pattern based, on the fly. And that's exactly what Ableton is all about.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The flexible and intuitive routing, grouping, etc. And fast I can work in arrange view.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like it because it sounds like plastic!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
The flexible and intuitive routing, grouping, etc. And fast I can work in arrange view.
The routing is preposteriously flexible and intuitive.

If it sounds like plastic, and you don't mean to have it sound like plastic; you're doing something wrong.
Old 15th September 2011
Lol
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I start almost everything I personally compose in ableton. I f'ing love it. I don't know how a daw can be musical, but to me, it's the most musical and inspiring of all of them.
Old 15th September 2011
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but isn't this sort of the Ableton Live love FORUM?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innoverse View Post
Lol

That was from 2006 sry lol, just noticed that.
Old 15th September 2011
Ableton's intuitive nature and template capabilities allowed me figure out how to get to a GREAT spot production wise very quickly.

Which leaves me to the bigger picture: Working on my song writing.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Things I love:

Drum Rack
Operator
Macros
Auto Send / Returns
Visual FX Rack

Things I don't love:

Serious - is it a total knowledge gap? - 64 bit is pretty much a hungry ghost - its comin but only to add to the tick sheet of features - and I swear one more word on the audio engine. My Lord. Binary people - turn off warping....... grr
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Serious - is it a total knowledge gap? - 64 bit is pretty much a hungry ghost - its comin but only to add to the tick sheet of features - and I swear one more word on the audio engine. My Lord. Binary people - turn off warping....... grr

+ 1 million.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

@sleepwalker:
Interesting to see a member here doing 64bit coding. As an analog hardware developer I was always wondering how this conversion of a software from 32bit to 64bit works. Is it really completely new code and algorithms or is more like an adjustment of the existing code? Isn't it always hard to modify a code which others have written? Is it a linear task or are there parts of the 32bit-code which are easy to transfer to 64bit and others which are very hard? Can you tell a bit about the whole procedure? Sorry for being offtopic
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Live completely changed the way I make music, everything can be done and done quickly. Also the advantages of being able to dj from within my daw are immense. I remember when I found out that it pre warped loops when you preview them in the browser, I nearly fell off my chair.

I love it, hard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search