The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wondered for a while: Can you build a polyphonic modular? Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wondered for a while: Can you build a polyphonic modular?

Is it possible to buy more voices for a modular rig?

This is something I've always wondered!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

absolutely. get yourself a Roland System 100M with two of the 110 modules and you have four voices which you can have doing different things (or the same thing). you really only need a VCO for each voice, but having a complete VCO/VCF/VCA in a module is so darn cool. a Roland MPU-101 4 channel MIDI-CV convertor is a good solution to drive the four voices.

now all you slutz need to get in line, i'm looking for a System 100M right now.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome, are there any current day polyphonic modules? I was thinking of starting a modular and was looking at the a100 range for starters
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
Awesome, are there any current day polyphonic modules? I was thinking of starting a modular and was looking at the a100 range for starters
there is no such thing as a polyphonic module per se - the magic is in voice allocation by the interface. when you play four notes on a keyboard, the interface needs to be able to assign each note to a VCO/VCF/VCA path.

basically to do it "right' you need to have independent VCO/VCF/VCA modules for each voice set identical. this is how an analogue poly synth works, there are 6 or 8 voices on the main board and there is a controller that assigns keyboard inputs to the voices to determined the pitch.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it possible to buy more voices for a modular rig?

This is something I've always wondered!
Yeah I asked something like this in one of the modular threads around a couple months ago. I want a Modular that has 4 inputs for external signals to be processed. Basically a crazy modular effects unit is what I want. It was explained to me that its gonna cost a mint, main due to the requirements of having filters ADSR's ectra for each voice. Later I discovered the SE CODE systems are kinda in the ballpark. But not really what I was thinking about.
Still what you are asking is possible. Depending on what you want it may be cheaper than idea I was toying with.

Damn you all modular freaks to hell! Stop giving me GAS! (shakes fist)heh
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just buy a bunch of Cwejman voice modules and a Kilpatrick polyphonic MIDI/CV interface.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

So for every extra voice I was to buy. Id need it's own individual filter Adar and amp? This is confusing.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
Just buy a bunch of Cwejman voice modules and a Kilpatrick polyphonic MIDI/CV interface.
did you recently sell some gold or a few kidneys?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So for every extra voice I was to buy. Id need it's own individual filter Adar and amp? This is confusing.
to do it right, yes. you could sum the oscillators together into a single VCF/VCA path, but if you want to do pitch based tracking on the VCF, well, you're out of luck.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
to do it right, yes. you could sum the oscillators together into a single VCF/VCA path, but if you want to do pitch based tracking on the VCF, well, you're out of luck.
Keyboard tracking wouldn't be that much of a big deal to me. Am I correct in thinking only certain brands sell extra voice modules? I browsed the a100 modules and saw nothing
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
Is this directed at me? I was looking at a Cwejman module yesterday. I forget what it was called but it seems to be an all in one starter module for $700. Nice. I am freaking doomed financially if i dip my toe in this pond.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Keyboard tracking wouldn't be that much of a big deal to me. Am I correct in thinking only certain brands sell extra voice modules? I browsed the a100 modules and saw nothing
they do a dark energy module. buy 4 of those and you have 4 voices.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I am freaking doomed financially if i dip my toe in this pond.
a decade ago i was ankle deep in the pond and swam back to shore. that was right about the time we had our first kid. go figure

i'm actually looking to find an affordable System 100M - seems people want crazy prices for things these days cause they are *vintage* not because of what they are.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could use 4 moog voyagers in polyphonic chaining into a mixer and plug 4 cynthia zeroscillator's into the inputs as a start point. heh
Old 13th September 2011
Akh
Gear Maniac

TONTO is basically a polyphonic modular synthesizer, based on early Serge modules.

The Club of Knobs has a polyphonic envelope generator and 5-voice polyphonic CV/gate keyboard available, to ease the set-up of a polyphonic modular. The oscillator driver module doesn't hurt either, if you plan on having multiple oscillators for each note. I don't believe they offer any integrated polyphonic filter modules, but the polyphonic envelope generator really does simplify a great deal of the process.

Expert Sleepers' Silent Way has a polyphonic mode, for use with modular synthesizers.

Tiptop Audio is apparently developing a dedicated polyphonic modular format.

The biggest problem I see with assembling a polyphonic modular is the lack of sync inputs and outputs on any given filter at this time, as I wouldn't want to sum the oscillators from multiple notes to a single filter path, but it's a problem that can be overcome with a little bit of attention and dedication to filter settings.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

tip top audio is building polyphonic modules.. not available yet but they are in the works.

imo you're better off just buying a polysynth. modulars are better at lot's of different monophonic sounds happening at once and complex monophonic patch.

even if the poly modules come out you'll still end up spending a lot.. but such is the case with modulars anyways..
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
What about envelope generators?

If you have anything less than an entirely independent path for each voice....meaning dedicated VCF, VCA, and two envelope generators per voice... then the end result is something much less than your ordinary fixed-path polyphonic synthesizer....
Old 13th September 2011
Akh
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
What about envelope generators?

If you have anything less than an entirely independent path for each voice....meaning dedicated VCF, VCA, and two envelope generators per voice... then the end result is something much less than your ordinary fixed-path polyphonic synthesizer....
I believe I already answered your question, post #15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akh View Post
The latter would presumably consist of polyphonic envelope generators, as well as oscillator banks, filters, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search