The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Robo Voice. How to make?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Robo Voice. How to make?

What kind of software/hardware can you recommend for creating a robo voices similar to Kraftwerk-like stuff?
Software is preferable for me, but if it is not possible without hardware I am ready to buy.
Thanks for the input.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

a vocoder of some sort. You can even get a decent freeware vocoder plugin from Tal Audio.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I like IL vocoder and vocodex. Any speech synthesis and run it through a vocoder.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Robo Voice. How to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera
What kind of software/hardware can you recommend for creating a robo voices similar to Kraftwerk-like stuff?
Software is preferable for me, but if it is not possible without hardware I am ready to buy.
Thanks for the input.
Vocoder. Any of them will work. Learn how to use it first. Plenty of software based vocoder. Ableton comes with a stock vocoder.
Old 12th September 2011
I have used the speech synthesizer in FL Studio, and it gives good results. There's about 8-9 voices to choose from, and you can set the pitch & tempo. You can then set each word to its own midi key and get it sequenced in the piano roll.

They work great when combined with a vocoder too, and that will give you very 'kraftwerk-y' results!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Eiosis ELS Vocoder if you want something refined.

Vocoders require two sound sources - a carrier (string pad sounds work well for this) and a modulator (your speech). Whether it'll sound like Kraftwerk depends on your choices (and treatment) for both - for instance, you'll want to EQ and compress the speech first. The vocoder won't do that for you.

The rest is a matter of reading the manual since vocoders use different tricks in DAWs to get both audio signals in there.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Eiosis ELS Vocoder if you want something refined.

Vocoders require two sound sources - a carrier (string pad sounds work well for this) and a modulator (your speech). Whether it'll sound like Kraftwerk depends on your choices (and treatment) for both - for instance, you'll want to EQ and compress the speech first. The vocoder won't do that for you.

The rest is a matter of reading the manual since vocoders use different tricks in DAWs to get both audio signals in there.
Damn, that plugin is going on my list! The demos sound awesome!
Old 13th September 2011
Don't forget a talkbox
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Though if you did go the hardware wrote, you should thing about getting a Microkorg. Not only does it have a great synth engine, you can use any audio source (another synth, guitar, etc.) as a carrier or as a modulator. Also, it sounds so much better than a vst vocoder.

Lol, I just checked your gear list. You already have a Microkorg. So what are you waiting for?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have i MicroKorg and tried Its vocoder but i dont like a result (may be have to play with knobs deeper)
But is there any tool when you type letters and it gives you letter sound, and so on composing words? I think some phonecall centers use that stuff.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

^ there are a lot of free speech synthesis programs out there. I would think most DAW's would come with one. (atleast FL studio did for me)
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera View Post
But is there any tool when you type letters and it gives you letter sound, and so on composing words?
Vocal Synthesizer VSTi - AquesTone is an option, but text-to-speech is incredibly common; it's just that most of the applications aren't plugins. See also: Audio Downloads : SayIt /// AnalogX

Speech synthesis != talk box != vocoder, though.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the Monomachine has vocal synthesis, but I didn't hear many examples yet.

Peter.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sonic Charge have a great plugin I bought a while back and use when I can called BitSpeek which delivers the same sound as the old Speak'n'Spell toy!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Analogx sayit is another freeware vst voice synth
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera View Post
I have i MicroKorg and tried Its vocoder but i dont like a result (may be have to play with knobs deeper)
But is there any tool when you type letters and it gives you letter sound, and so on composing words? I think some phonecall centers use that stuff.
The vocoder of the original MicroKorg pretty much sucks and you won't get much out of it. The Microkorg XL (and it's full-size key cousin, the R3), however, has a GREAT vocoder, which can even sample your voice, store it in memory and therefore use voice patterns. It's the same vocoder found in the RADIAS.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Another option is Ring Modulation. Not used by Kraftwerk so much, but good for robo voices nevertheless.
Old 15th September 2011
NI The Mouth does some cool robotic effects, not quite Kraftwerk but nice.

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

When you say, like Kraftwerk, you really need to pick a song. Songs like The Robots are vocoder but Numbers is text-to-speech (not all but lots) synthesis. I may be wrong but It's More Fun to Compute sounds like a mix of the two.

So...which song?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've used this Roland vocoder a few times before and thought it was pretty cool.

I'd love to try out an EMS or Sennheiser Vocoder, but I haven't gotten a chance to do that yet.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

+ 1 for The Mouth. Fun plug in and pretty versatile.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
I've used this Roland vocoder a few times before and thought it was pretty cool.

I'd love to try out an EMS or Sennheiser Vocoder, but I haven't gotten a chance to do that yet.
i picked up a 350 last week in nice condition.
the 350 has that classic 'freak-a-zoid" sound (and many others)

the EMS and sennheisers are bloody rare and cost a LOT of money. but i can see why someone would fork out the extra if they were a vocoder junkie, which I am not at this time.
just listen to 'discocomputer' by transvolta, 'sample&hold' by neil young or the opener for ELO's 'time' album to hear why.

another holy-grail vocoder is the Bode 7702 - extremely clear articulation and intelligibility

----

apart from vocoders, another idea is the talkbox
the famous Zapp&Roger effect used a DX100+talkbox NOT a vocoder

----

that said, a very interesting technique using NONE OF THE ABOVE is granular processing.
even the cheap one on a Korg kaosspad or electribe can be very very cool - when you modulate the durations of the grains you can get very deep robotic vocaltones that are unique
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

And because DX100 prices are already crazy: a DX27 will work just fine too. As will an FB01. Or a TX81Z. Or any other 4-op machine.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think JP did it best

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I used to mean mainly songs "Man Mashine" and "Numbers" which are very cool in robo voicing.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut
Sennheiser and Roland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
i picked up a 350 last week in nice condition.
the 350 has that classic 'freak-a-zoid" sound (and many others)

the EMS and sennheisers are bloody rare and cost a LOT of money. but i can see why someone would fork out the extra if they were a vocoder junkie, which I am not at this time.
just listen to 'discocomputer' by transvolta, 'sample&hold' by neil young or the opener for ELO's 'time' album to hear why.

another holy-grail vocoder is the Bode 7702 - extremely clear articulation and intelligibility

----

apart from vocoders, another idea is the talkbox
the famous Zapp&Roger effect used a DX100+talkbox NOT a vocoder

----

that said, a very interesting technique using NONE OF THE ABOVE is granular processing.
even the cheap one on a Korg kaosspad or electribe can be very very cool - when you modulate the durations of the grains you can get very deep robotic vocaltones that are unique
Yes, "Disco Computer" and "Sample and Hold" are both the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201. "Prologue" is the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus Mk1.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear
Nice grave digging
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Nut
Analog Vocoders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Nice grave digging
Thanks! I LOVE all threads that mention classic old vintage analog vocoders.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

If you want something free, that sounds like the old Sennheiser VSM201, which Kraftwerk actually could at least try in their past:
WOK Releases Free VSMINI Vocoder VST Plugin - Bedroom Producers Blog
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6658248

[edit]Oh, VoiceEncoder confirmed my theory about them using it.
Old 1st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceEncoder View Post
Thanks! I LOVE all threads that mention classic old vintage analog vocoders.
Wait a sec - you're the same person who went around the VintageSynth forums to bump 4-year old threads because they mentioned vocoders?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search