The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pioneer Mixer and Ableton Setup??? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Pioneer Mixer and Ableton Setup???

I read a few posts through the search function but didn't get an answer so I apologize if this has been covered.

I produce exclusively in Ableton. I used to dj out on Serato but want to go with Ableton when I get back to playing live. In the meantime I am recording podcast mixes at home in the studio. What I would like is to get a setup that will most closely resembles what I am going to encounter in the club. For that reason I am thinking that it would be best for me to grab the Pioneer 800. I know most clubs have the 1000 but trying not to break the bank.

Does the 800 interface with Ableton - is it just via USB or microphone out? I have an IMAC right now but looking to pic up a macbook pro for both production and djing - Would I need anything else to make it work now with the IMAC or with the macbook? Was thinking maybe the APC 20/40?

Thanks!!

www.divyde.com
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsyth View Post
I read a few posts through the search function but didn't get an answer so I apologize if this has been covered.

I produce exclusively in Ableton. I used to dj out on Serato but want to go with Ableton when I get back to playing live. In the meantime I am recording podcast mixes at home in the studio. What I would like is to get a setup that will most closely resembles what I am going to encounter in the club. For that reason I am thinking that it would be best for me to grab the Pioneer 800. I know most clubs have the 1000 but trying not to break the bank.

Does the 800 interface with Ableton - is it just via USB or microphone out? I have an IMAC right now but looking to pic up a macbook pro for both production and djing - Would I need anything else to make it work now with the IMAC or with the macbook? Was thinking maybe the APC 20/40?

Thanks!!

www.divyde.com
Hello mate,

I use the 900 myself and it links via USB and you can link it fully with ableton as it has the built in soundcard. This is what i would recommend going for.
Old 13th September 2011
As much as you don't want to hear this, it really comes down to personal preference. For example, the most fun/best show I've had playing live was the following>

Laptop running ableton > MOTU Ultralite mk3 >
4x stereo audio outs > 4-channel A&H XONE mixer
Headphone monitoring at both the sound card and the mixer, switchable

Surfaces:
Maschine controller
Launchpad
Novation ReMOTE 25 SL

Now I'm looking into an iPad (as a replacement/addition to the launchpad) and possibly a bigger keyboard (but then the whole thing can't go in my backpack -_-)

Overall, it comes down to WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO??? For example, I like taking pre-recorded audio/midi, messing with it in live to build little "tracks," then bringing it into the dj mixer to create the "mix." If all you want is 2 "decks" with a nifty control surface, an APC or launchpad should be all you need.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18 View Post
Hello mate,

I use the 900 myself and it links via USB and you can link it fully with ableton as it has the built in soundcard. This is what i would recommend going for.
Yo! Thanks for the tip... this sounds like what I am looking for as far as control is concerned... just because I am so used to djing on the pioneer mixers and really the clubs don't seem to be heading away from that format anytime soon... having this set up at home would allow for the practice I need.

with that said... I like the potential of what aunshui mentioned.

I want a bit more than just two decks... I want four decks but with the capability to fire loops/hits/etc with buttons JUST like the MPC has and also I would like to have the live sends and effects at my disposal.

If I were to go with a pioneer mixer and APC would I be able to hook everything up and utilize all functions of both live and the mixer at once?
Old 13th September 2011
Yeah, using the mixer's soundcard can be nice, for no other reason than having to carry that much less gear around, but bear in mind that you have many more options (effects loops! live instruments!) by using an interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsyth View Post
If I were to go with a pioneer mixer and APC would I be able to hook everything up and utilize all functions of both live and the mixer at once?

You would be able to select and play audio (in live) and assign it to whatever channel/combination of channels you want on the mixer (to mix).

A side note: what is the mixer really adding here? Why not just use live's in-built crossfader and an apc 40?

These club "installation" systems makes it tough to show up with a laptop running anything other than serato and expect to seamlessly integrate. I'd always expect to bring your own signal chain, from your laptop all the way up to stereo mains to FOH.

BTW, you won't have any trouble using "4 decks" or more with an apc or launchpad...you can always use 2 at once if you'd like more control

EDIT: And no problems assigning samples to those free buttons on your launchpad/apc
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post

A side note: what is the mixer really adding here? Why not just use live's in-built crossfader and an apc 40?

These club "installation" systems makes it tough to show up with a laptop running anything other than serato and expect to seamlessly integrate. I'd always expect to bring your own signal chain, from your laptop all the way up to stereo mains to FOH.
Glad you asked... I have been watching videos of the APC at work since my last post and it loos sweet no doubt. The issue I have is that the EQ3 blows - I like to do long mixes and a good EQ is vital for that. I figured I would be better off using the mixer EQ since that is what it is designed for. The EQ# colors the sound too much IMO.

Add to that I really don't see any vids where the APC users are using anything more that the Low kill on the EQ3 and that lends me to believe that it's not suited for use of all three bands.... I'm sure I could map it to my taste but just was thinking that maybe there was another way.

I love everything the APC has to offer - I can bring it and my apogee duet to the club so I am running firewire to stereo outs into the mixer and then use the APC from the laptop USB... right? That's basically how that is setup?

That's fine - but what would be a good solution for in the studio for podcast mixes/demos/live set prep/etc.? EDIT: If I am using in the studio I am ok with the EQ3 if there is no other alternative - just trying to be as close to real live setup as possible. Might get a fog machine too jk

Thanks for the knowledge!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search