The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Achtung GearPrudz ... !!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Achtung GearPrudz ... !!!

Any one else feel they are moving inexorably in this direction ... ??? (And in "Prudz" i'm emphasizing the word prudent not necessarily any fear of the unknown ... )

I'm down to three synths with keyboards (JP8, JP6, Fantom X7 fully expanded), one module (V-Synth XT), one hardware f/x unit (Space Echo RE-201) one controller+software (Maschine) and my MacBook Pro with Motu 828 mkii ... (as well a couple of mics -- AKG c214 and AudixOM5 -- and monitors in the form of Yamaha HS80ms -- not to mention some studio related things like bass traps, second monitor etc.)

Sometimes I feel even this is too much ... Like I could really get by just with my Fantom X and Mac ... I've learned so much in the past few years in regards to how things can sound good/great no matter the source ...

That said, I'm still not eager to jump into the totally ITB boat ... (There is something to be said for a physical presence and how that relates to individual inspiration ... Not to mention the sound !!!)

But I can also say I have absolutely no desire to acquire new gear ... Only new tracks, skills and performances ...

This is also extending to other areas of my life ...

Are my days of wild abandon waning ... ??? I'm genuinely gratified and afraid of the changes ... (This is probably inevitable anyway ... )

But as I say, transitions can be tricky ... (Or maybe it's just another phase) ...

As I also like to say, life is a series of temporary situations ...

Good, bad ... it never lasts ...

And one more platitude ... Time will tell, huh?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

But prudence (or restraint) does not mean moving ITB. In fact, if you have +10 plugins, you're still not restraining much.

I am trying to go into that direction too - but it's a matter of available room around me. A room that's not filled to the brim is a space with possibilities, which to me translates as a blank canvas. Clarity and room for potential with not too much distraction.

Took me long enough to find that out, though - and visiting other people's studios.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
But prudence (or restraint) does not mean moving ITB. In fact, if you have +10 plugins, you're still not restraining much.

I am trying to go into that direction too - but it's a matter of available room around me. A room that's not filled to the brim is a space with possibilities, which to me translates as a blank canvas. Clarity and room for potential with not too much distraction.

Took me long enough to find that out, though - and visiting other people's studios.
Restraint as in restraint from buying more synth hardware? WTF? This is Gear Slutz baby!

I never met a Synthex, JP 8, P5, etc etc - that I did not need.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Any one else feel they are moving inexorably in this direction ... ???
But I can also say I have absolutely no desire to acquire new gear ... Only new tracks, skills and performances ...
Whoa! Dude - see a doctor soon.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I still get massive stabs of gear lust quite frequently, but I will say that after a number of years and good aural development you do find that you can do more with less. A few really good items of gear that serve your own particular purpose is much better than a room full of stuff that you don't really know all the sounds of.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post

Even if completely ITB, I would definitely try to maintain a minimalist philosophy when it came to plugs and VIs ...

I agree with the blank canvas approach ... Everything, everything needs room to breathe ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I still get massive stabs of gear lust quite frequently, but I will say that after a number of years and good aural development you do find that you can do more with less. A few really good items of gear that serve your own particular purpose is much better than a room full of stuff that you don't really know all the sounds of.
+1 indeed ... That's preceisely what I'm talking about ...

But I do feel that the Micron, MS2K, Fusion, V-Synth keyboard, SP-404, Electribes ER-1, EMX ESX, Novation A-Station that came and went did give me an education of sorts in many aspects ...

I'm definitely for better or worse the kind of person who needs to "make mistakes" during the process ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Whoa! Dude - see a doctor soon.
I know what you mean ...

But to justify hanging onto what I already have I need to learn to use them more expertly ...

The Jupiters in particular, I really want to wield a as real-time performance synthesis tool ... The UIs are incredible and very often produce highly musical results ... I want these choices and movements to come pretenaturally ... and that means practice, practice, practice for me ...

No time for other synths ... No time for lusting or dating lol ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I do feel that the Micron, MS2K, Fusion, V-Synth keyboard, SP-404, Electribes ER-1, EMX ESX, Novation A-Station that came and went did give me an education of sorts in many aspects ...
If you don't go through at least a bit of that, you can't get to the point where you look at gear and think "that looks cool, I know what it will sound like, but I don't really need that sound for the tracks I'm working on."

Before you can do that you have to go through a bit of gear.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Man how do skimp by only with a Jupiter 8 a Jupiter 6 And a phantom?

:eyeroll:

But seriously....consider adding an A6 to that lineup.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I know what you mean ...

But to justify hanging onto what I already have I need to learn to use them more expertly ...

The Jupiters in particular, I really want to wield a as real-time performance synthesis tool ... The UIs are incredible and very often produce highly musical results ... I want these choices and movements to come pretenaturally ... and that means practice, practice, practice for me ...

No time for other synths ... No time for lusting or dating lol ...

Seriously - you are correct about finding the right tools to help you make the music you want to make. Plenty of people people get a room full of synths and never do much with them.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have this constant feeling that my Kronos is the last hardware synth I've purchased (no, I'm not into vintage analog dinosaurs whose oscillators go out of tune all the time.) And I wasn't even 100% sure about it. Still unsure I actually needed it, it feels a lot like an indulgence. And if the "total integration" plugin doesn't materialize within a month, I'm going to be very mad at Korg...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

what a boring world it would be if musical instruments had to be rational decisions
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
what a boring world it would be if musical instruments had to be rational decisions
+1

I want a Zen Tambour just because it sounds cool.

I don't know if I can play it. I sure don't know if I can play it well, but I'm kinda jonesing for it anyway.

The Zen Tambour and DSI Tempest. That's all I need, now.
Yup. That's it. Uh huh.
Not a thing else. No really,. nothing else. Yup, uh huh.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, you REALLY want the hang. I played about three of a few buskers hang drums while in spain. They are absolutely amazing instruments. It is like an old resonant zild K cymbal from the 60's made into a drum with computer designed pitch and overtones. Completely new, innovative and absolutely lovely to play.

That said someone needed to make that thing cheaper.

regards.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
Man how do skimp by only with a Jupiter 8 a Jupiter 6 And a phantom?

:eyeroll:

But seriously....consider adding an A6 to that lineup.
I've spent much time contemplating that issue ... And in the end, considering what I have and what I'm not getting rid of, A6 just isn't in the cards for me ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Totally know what you mean.

There's like three or four items that I still want (minerva, mixer, monitors, mpd). I go on eBay to look at all the shiny wonderful synths and things, do like four searches, and I'm done.

I'm pretty good with

one poly (juno 60)
one multi-mono (perfourmer)
one sampler (e6400 ultra with rfx32 so it doubles as a multi-fx too)

I mean sometimes I do want to upgrade, but if I did, I'd probably sell whatever I was upgrading from. I like having just one mono, poly, sampler - and I love having multifunctional gear. Like the perfourmer is four monosynths, a polysynth, a filterbank...the e6400 is a great sampler and effects processor. Keeps me focussed.

I mean granted there are certain items that I'd like to have someday (sh5, re-201) but I'm very into using the tools at hand.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I know what you mean. I've got so much stuff right now and many times I often think I could really get by ITB with a couple HW synths, and that perhaps such a limited setup would in the end make me more productive. I've often thought about just dumping it all for a Virus TI2 Keyboard and my Voyager, or perhaps even more radical and keeping only the M50 and Phatty. Scary thoughts indeed...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Point taken. But if you look at how these were used in soundtracks; they got multitracked over and over again.

While it's nice to have another flavor it also has a potential to discourage digging deeper in what you have already.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

That sir, is a good new signature for me

Quote:
Old 13th September 2011
I've been going to the minimalist direction for the past 3 years or so. The funny thing is that I'm slowly going OTB, not ITB direction. I would imagine I'll eventually end up somewhere in the 70/30 OTB/ITB world.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Two months ago did a huge setup renovation and consolidated down to just the computer, a Virus Ti2 keyboard, and the Voyager.

Closeted/gave away everything else (technically the Andromeda is still outside of the closet but I'm out of room in there) instrument wise now trying to do the same with outboard processing.

Haven't used the Voyager in a month or so and if it didn't fit perfectly/look neat on the front desk racks would probably closet it too.

Need to figure out/wait for creation of software replacements for two favorite compressors and an EQ and then I'll be pretty close to totally done.

Considering getting a Reactable instead of my yearly car purchase come January but fear I would be sick at myself for not using it enough.

Not to hijack, but has anyone physically used one?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The most productive I ever was, was with an xp30 and cakewalk.

The most fun I ever had was with a poly 800, a casio and a tape recorder.

I've decided I need to worry about finishing my masters and moving into a teaching job before I seriously worry about synths again. Because the #1 thing I'm missing is time. I really, really miss the days when I could sit down and explore or work on something for hours on end. I miss really knowing a piece of gear without getting frustrated and then wanting something else to compensate for what I don't know.

In the future, I could see doing a small hybrid setup. Nexus, Omnisphere, TR Rack, XV-5050
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Two months ago did a huge setup renovation and consolidated down to just the computer, a Virus Ti2 keyboard, and the Voyager.

Closeted/gave away everything else (technically the Andromeda is still outside of the closet but I'm out of room in there) instrument wise now trying to do the same with outboard processing.

Haven't used the Voyager in a month or so and if it didn't fit perfectly/look neat on the front desk racks would probably closet it too.

Need to figure out/wait for creation of software replacements for two favorite compressors and an EQ and then I'll be pretty close to totally done.

Considering getting a Reactable instead of my yearly car purchase come January but fear I would be sick at myself for not using it enough.

Not to hijack, but has anyone physically used one?

Wow, so you have basically done exactly what I considered - Moog and Virus. How has it changed your work? Are you more productive? Feeling more limited or free?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Wow, so you have basically done exactly what I considered - Moog and Virus. How has it changed your work? Are you more productive? Feeling more limited or free?
I'm really weird and constantly productive but in an almost austic way rather than a choice?

not a good thing really.

So it's stayed the same, but maybe it did very slightly, perhaps five minutes or so of time I would have spent pondering which fellow to use to make sound in brain become sound in pane.

(Like the ableton clip pane, get it?? Hurhur)

So yes maybe so, but I really didn't use anything except software and the Voyager or NL2x anyway at that point, so not much.

I just figured I would knock out a few birds with one stone with the Virus keyboard, to get rid of every MIDI dildo on the desk besides it and an apc40, and still be able to control it how I ideally wanted to, which was on a screen with a mouse. It just instantly worked for me.

I don't use Sylenth much anymore and haven't touched the NL2 since then, not because they are bad or anything I just haven't needed to, and that's kind of a neat compliment.

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Everytime I sit down with my gear, I feel more and more drawn to getting the most out of it ...

... and even more importantly, using it to produce new music ...

... but central to that is workflow and rearranging gear to facilitate new methods, conveniences ...

My next studio arrangement is going to be an odd one in that I'm going to place my two stands of synths NEXT to each other so everything is in a longish row instead of facing each other .... The difference is that I won't have to turn around to get at the other gear ... and the monitoring position will be equal for all gear ... Hopefully ...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
That sir, is a good new signature for me
Go for it my man.

I never met one of those beauties I did not need but sadly I am too cheap and only dabble as a hobby now. They are amazing machines to be loved and cherished.

Reminds me of a Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. Youtube video talking about his old Maseratis and Ferraris. He has a 1950s era F1 Maserati. The idea that we are just custodians taking care of these incredible machines that can never really be recreated.

I never even heard of a Synthex until I started getting back into it after 20+ years. I am still flabbergasted that one of the greatest synths ever came out of Italy. I knew the Crumars before it were good but the designer (I forget his name) must have be a genius in the league of Dave Smith or almost Bob Moog.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search