The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why Nord Lead/ Why not the Nord Lead
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why Nord Lead/ Why not the Nord Lead

So: Nord Lead vs. other synths.

Why so special that so many use it in so many electronic music styles and not only?

OR... why not the best idea now to get a Nord Lead.

(..also NL1 vs. 2 vs. 2x vs. 3 vs. Wave)

Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
So: Nord Lead vs. other synths.
Was there something wrong with your previous topic? heh

Quote:
Why so special that so many use it in so many electronic music styles and not only?
It's light-weight. It's got one knob per function. Separate outputs, more polyphony than a JP8000, different character, and it was one of the first VAs. Word of mouth does some good stuff, apparently.

Quote:
(..also NL1 vs. 2 vs. 2x vs. 3 vs. Wave)
1 : 4 voices, or 12 with expansion
2 : pretty much identical
2X : same as 2, 4 voices of polyphony extra and more memory and better DACs
3: something completely different
Wave: something completely different again
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

get a Jupiter 80, it's what you really need.

i rest my case.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

NL2x:

Pros:

a. It has a very nice sound character as an electronic instrument with nice sounding filters etc...

b. It has a unique "trademark" sound character

c. Its ultra easy and inspiring to use because of its "one knob per function - menu-less" interface

d. It doesn't take too much effort for those who are bored to mix because usually it "sits well in a mix" (stupid excuse for buying a synth, but many like it for this reason).

Cons (from my personal experience):

a. It has very limited features (routings, modulation sources, etc)
b. Its quite expensive for what it really does
c. Its doesn't have effects (I wouldn't care personally)

NL3:

Pros:
a. Extended FM engine and routing possibilities

b. An even more "ultra easy and inspiring to use because of its "one knob per function - menu-less with LED indicators" interface"

Cons:

It sounds like some old software instruments IMO. This is not bad, but...you know...it costs much more money than a VSTi...

Nord Wave:

Pros:

a. The interface (again)

b. Sample playback (you can use samples as a source, but, it's not a sampler)

c. Effects: it has some great effects

Cons:

a. The price (It doesn't worth all this money if you buy it new, but you can find great deals for a used one)

b. No arpeggiator

c. No dedicated noise source

If you want to buy one of them, you should search more Gearlutz fora from the past and the web.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

i rest my case.
Just DO THAT!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
NL2x:

Pros:

a. It has a very nice sound character as an electronic instrument with nice sounding filters etc...

b. It has a unique "trademark" sound character

c. Its ultra easy and inspiring to use because of its "one knob per function - menu-less" interface

d. It doesn't take too much effort for those who are bored to mix because usually it "sits well in a mix" (stupid excuse for buying a synth, but many like it for this reason).

Cons (from my personal experience):

a. It has very limited features (routings, modulation sources, etc)
b. Its quite expensive for what it really does
c. Its doesn't have effects (I wouldn't care personally)

NL3:

Pros:
a. Extended FM engine and routing possibilities

b. An even more "ultra easy and inspiring to use because of its "one knob per function - menu-less with LED indicators" interface"

Cons:

It sounds like some old software instruments IMO. This is not bad, but...you know...it costs much more money than a VSTi...

Nord Wave:

Pros:

a. The interface (again)

b. Sample playback (you can use samples as a source, but, it's not a sampler)

c. Effects: it has some great effects

Cons:

a. The price (It doesn't worth all this money if you buy it new, but you can find great deals for a used one)

b. No arpeggiator

c. No dedicated noise source

If you want to buy one of them, you should search more Gearlutz fora from the past and the web.
Thanks man
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Keep it coming!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

More can't be explained by text. Go play one.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
More can't be explained by text. Go play one.
Do u know any place close to me?..
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is there a big difference in sound between 2 and 2x?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone??
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is it true that even the 2x doesn't have lfo sync to tempo?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

SO..is it really worth purchasing at this time...I mean with all the limitations aand not so cheap price?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Then get one secondhand, so if it's not to your liking you can re-sell it for nearly the same price.

As for "where can I play one" - if you do not specify your location (go to User CP > Edit Your Details and put it there so you don't have to answer this question all the time) it's kind of hard to say, no?

Limitations are not always a deal-breaker. A Juno-106 is still beloved for what it does, even though it's not exactly rocket science.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post

i rest my case.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
What's this gotta do with the Nord Lead?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's this gotta do with the Nord Lead?
if you think about it you will see the intrinsic link between the two
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is it true that even the 2x doesn't have lfo sync to tempo?
sort of, it does the restart the LFO in exact midi timing but the LFO Wave isn´t midi-synced.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a big difference in sound between 2 and 2x?
NL2 : 18 bit / 44.1 kHz DACS
NL2X: 24 bit / 96 kHz DACS

I use NL2 rack, I've got it second hand 5 years ago, I don't sequence heavily or sync to MIDI like you guys do, but I'm happy with it. It was my first synthesizer. I have good memories with it.

It doesn't have effects, some people bash that, put good fx after it, and it will surprise you.

Ok, it doesn't have modulations like Waldorf Q, but it's raw sound is good enough for me. And you can velocity / morph every knob's movement. It's easier to dial in. Don't underestimate this feature.

Most sounds don't need modulation madness like crazy. Try to analyze your favorite sounds, and go for the sonic quality you crave for.

Last but not least, listen to demos, try it somewhere, as others say.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiluv View Post
sort of, it does the restart the LFO in exact midi timing but the LFO Wave isn´t midi-synced.
moreover, the LFO's have independently selectable retrigger sync to a number of clock values:

Of - no sync
1 - every other bar
2 - every whole note
3 - every half note
4 - every quarter note
5 - every eighth note
6 - every eighth note triplet
7 - every sixteenth note

the LFO rate is manually set, but a deft touch will get it purring with the subtle movements we all like in analogue synthersizers.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You really do need to play it. I was prepared to be dissapointed by the lead, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got my hands on it. I'd never consider buying one had I not tried it.

Whereabouts do you live? We might be able to find a place nearby for you to try.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolrusPl View Post
You really do need to play it. I was prepared to be dissapointed by the lead, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got my hands on it. I'd never consider buying one had I not tried it.

Whereabouts do you live? We might be able to find a place nearby for you to try.
Romania..
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiluv View Post
This on both 2 and 2x ?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Is it true that u can't save performances, which is like multi on NL2 ?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
This on both 2 and 2x ?
the only differences in the 2 and 2x are polyphony, different DSP (sounds a tad different, not bad, just different) and the number of memory locations. the synth engine features are identical as are the performance features.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

On Nord Lead/Rack 2 You need PCMCIA card for additional patch / multi storage. 2X has flash memory built in (3 cards' worth)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't want to start yet another NordLead thread, so I hope noone is offended if I post my question in here.

I am about to buy me a NordLead 2X, which should be my main live poly synth, after I am not happy with the Blofeld for *that* purpose.
I am very much aware that I should add FX to the NL, and I'd like to ask NL2x owners, which ones they think would be ideal for carrying around, easy to use, available on the market and if possibly OK to place them on top of the NL?
No plugins please, I can't use my laptop for live.

Or would you suggest a small mixer with FX like Alesis, Yamaha, etc?
Zoom R16 maybe?

And exactly which Effects should one take care about? Reverb, Delay I guess, Chorus?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
if possibly OK to place them on top of the NL?
Yes, it's ok to set something on top of it as long it doesn't weigh enough to crush the housing of the NL. You also might want to avoid anything that would create temperature extremes on the outside of the NL as that could be harmful to it.

Quote:
And exactly which Effects should one take care about? Reverb, Delay I guess, Chorus?
What effects do you normally tend to use on your current synthesizers? If you have a particular type that you enjoy it will be safe to use those with the Nord as well. For the most part you shouldn't fear damaging your synth by using an effect after it in the chain.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am very much aware that I should add FX to the NL, and I'd like to ask NL2x owners, which ones they think would be ideal for carrying around, easy to use, available on the market and if possibly OK to place them on top of the NL?
Go for quality and get yourself an Eventide Space or a TimeFactor, or if that's too rich for your blood, check out the Strymon boxes.

Alternatively, find a compact mixer with 3 send/returns, keep the FX in the rack, and use the faders to mix in your wet signal.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis Wedge fits nicely on the Nord Lead case.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search