The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noob Q - SH-101 + Bass Station Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Noob Q - SH-101 + Bass Station

So, I got a Novation Bass Station for use with my SH-101.

The SH-101 is fine when connected direct to the amp.
The Bass Station works fine on its demo track when connected direct to the amp.

Now I've connected:
The SH-101 to the Bass Station via CV/Gate patch leads.
The Bass Station output to the amp.
The Bass Station midi in/out to my PC.

I'm getting no sound from the Bass Station when pressing the SH-101 keyboard and no sign of any Midi input to Ableton either.

So, where have I gone wrong?

Any ideas, anyone?
Old 12th September 2011
isnt the bass station cv Out only ??
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

i assume it's a Bass Station Rack - have you set the Type correctly, as on Page 18 of the manual?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede.VR View Post
isnt the bass station cv Out only ??
Naah, it's got CV/Gate in and out
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i assume it's a Bass Station Rack - have you set the Type correctly, as on Page 18 of the manual?
Yes, it's a rack, and I've tried both settings for Roland on the BS
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

You sure you have it connected to CV/Gates INPUTS on the BS?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoomResident View Post
Yes, it's a rack, and I've tried both settings for Roland on the BS
ok, back up a bit. check your wiring so it is as follows.

the BSR is setup as Type 00, the CV out of the 101 is connected to the CV in of the BSR. the Gate out of the 101 to the Gate in on the BSR. is that correct?

the MIDI out of the BSR to the MIDI in on the computer, yes?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
ok, back up a bit. check your wiring so it is as follows.

the BSR is setup as Type 00, the CV out of the 101 is connected to the CV in of the BSR. the Gate out of the 101 to the Gate in on the BSR. is that correct?
That's right

Quote:
the MIDI out of the BSR to the MIDI in on the computer, yes?
I'm forgetting about the Midi for a while. Best get the CV/Gate thing sorted, eh?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

I got the Sh-101 to play the BS - the Midi channel and CV/Gate channel need to be the same.

Now why is the keyboard only letting me hear a note once I released the last one? Is that normal?

E2A: Ah, I see that's a limitation of CV/Gate
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm sure it's all explained in the manual on page 18.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I once had a bass station rack that I bought to sequence with my mc202. never got it to track properly (when I got it to accept cv/gate) and i fiddled with it ENDLESSLY. finally traded the thing for an e6400 classic, best move ever.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoomResident View Post
I got the Sh-101 to play the BS - the Midi channel and CV/Gate channel need to be the same.

Now why is the keyboard only letting me hear a note once I released the last one? Is that normal?

E2A: Ah, I see that's a limitation of CV/Gate
plus your synths are both monophonic. you will never be able to play more than one note at a time. but yes.. read about legato mode etc.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggabax View Post
I once had a bass station rack that I bought to sequence with my mc202. never got it to track properly (when I got it to accept cv/gate) and i fiddled with it ENDLESSLY. finally traded the thing for an e6400 classic, best move ever.
best move ever would to have kept the 202. they are fookin great little synths in a clever package. 2 track sequencer with gate and step programming, plus accent for the internal synth engine, oh and portamento.

i believe your problem was not the BAS, rather that the MC-202's CV input is passed through the CPU first. it was designed for manual input of values from an external (larger) keyboard, not for real time playing.

most people set up the 202 so they can drive it from either the internal sequencer or from an external MIDI-CV box with a very simple mod. that is how mine have been setup and it works great (i have owned a few 202's!). the 2 track CV sequencer is handy for things like VCF sequencing a held note.

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/da_baron/202to60vcf.mp3

or for adding some spice to a sequence - the 202 is giving the Juno 60 a very nice bubbly sound with the 2nd sequence while the first is playing a simple echo pattern. the 60 is playing just 4 notes, the 202 to the VCF is doing the heavy lifting.

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/da_baro...ontrolled2.mp3

Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

For the record . . . I got the SH-101 keyboard to drive the Bass Station Rack and act as a Midi keyboard in Ableton. I can also play the BSR with Ableton.

Setting the channels right on the BSR was key to getting the SH-101 to play it. In Ableton the key move was selecting an 'external instrument' and setting the inputs.

The only thing I can't do so far is play the SH-101 with Ableton, but I got the main things that I want for now.

Now to come up with some kinda rack for the two synths

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search