The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Virus ti Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Virus ti

I've been looking into the TI and see that it is possible to use it as an audio interface.
I was wondering if anyone here uses it this way and how does it perform?
Old 12th September 2011
I used mine for a few weeks or so after I sold my Ultralite and was saving for a Fireface 400. Seemed to do just fine on Mac OSX. No glitches or hiccups and it sounded good too.

I've also used the optical/minijack output on my MacMini and fed it into the Eventide Eclipse. This worked perfectly as well.
Old 12th September 2011
nms
Lives for gear

I used mine for 6 months that way when I first bought my virus and it was ok.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
the sound you get from it is like the virus, kind of dark
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mcrane View Post
I've been looking into the TI and see that it is possible to use it as an audio interface.
I was wondering if anyone here uses it this way and how does it perform?
As an audio interface, the TI really sucks. The converters are actually pretty decent, but consider that it's still USB 1.1, and that IMHO implies unacceptable limits. Get a USB 2.0 interface. If you want the fastest for the smallest price, consider the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, about $300.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies, very interesting.
I wasn't asking the question because I want to use it as a soundcard, I have a perfectly good FireWire interface already.
I was more interested on finding out if this function was looked upon by others as a gimmick.....it seems not, thanks for the info.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
t's still USB 1.1, and that IMHO implies unacceptable limits
The limits of 1.1 is 6 channels of audio. If all you do is listen to audio using 2 monitors, I believe it's within the limits.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
The limits of 1.1 is 6 channels of audio. If all you do is listen to audio using 2 monitors, I believe it's within the limits.
One of the limits of 1.1 is its inability to use a small sample buffer. AFAIK, the Virus operates with a 256-sample buffer when used as an interface. Pretty mediocre performance. Virtually every USB 2.0 interface can do 128 and some even 64 (not to mention the extraordinary FFUC that can go as low as 32.)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can't speak about the Virus, but my Saffire can do 3ms latency (that's 134 buffer). For me, that's enough (if I try anything lower than 3ms it won't work though).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor View Post
Except for, you know, being limited to 16 bit audio. Heyooooooo
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Virus yes, but you're talking about a specific audio interface here - it's not the fault of USB 1.1

My Saffire does 24 bit (and it's USB 1.1, which has some problems when I try to use it on a USB 3.0 port; it does fine on USB 2.0 though).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I might be out of line in suggesting this, but if you're going to spend the money on a Ti just save up another $100 and grab a cheap audio interface.

I LOVE my Ti2 but have no desire to use it as an audio interface. A $150 M-Audio Fast Track Pro on the other hand I have no problem using!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mcrane View Post
I was more interested on finding out if this function was looked upon by others as a gimmick.....it seems not
Considering it was the first synth ever to operate as a VST plugin in your DAW I'd say it's no gimmick!
Old 15th September 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
One of the limits of 1.1 is its inability to use a small sample buffer. AFAIK, the Virus operates with a 256-sample buffer when used as an interface. Pretty mediocre performance. Virtually every USB 2.0 interface can do 128 and some even 64 (not to mention the extraordinary FFUC that can go as low as 32.)
Best to be straight on your info before weighing in!

Virus operates down to a 128k buffer when used as an interface. I'd rather use the ti than a cheapo interface. The D/A converters are pretty good.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Considering it was the first synth ever to operate as a VST plugin in your DAW I'd say it's no gimmick!
I wouldn't be in the market for buying one if I thought the synth was a gimmick. You have quoted me completely out of context. Please read my posts before jumping in feet first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search