The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chopping up drum loops a must for mixing?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Chopping up drum loops a must for mixing?

Sometimes I slice my drum loop to MIDI so that I can separately EQ the hi hats, kicks, percussion ect. but I like working with audio better because I can time stretch certain hits and gate things much easier.

My question is if I am buying a professional pack of drum loops can I assume that it won't need EQing anyway? Or is separating the drum loop a must in any case?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Everything you can think of, you can do, without exception, no rules. Your ears are your friend. Trust them.
Old 12th September 2011
I hardly use any loops at all. If I use them, then only to complement my original beat as a groove element.

I love to create my own beats from scratch. Because I don't like the idea of using a beat that has been (probably) (mis)used a 1000 times. And it gives me the possibility to tweak and EQ and put FX and change the sounds instantly to each drum sound individually, without touching the rest.

But this is my work flow. It suits my taste. Work as you want to work as long as you get the results you want There is no must
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
I hardly use any loops at all. If I use them, then only to complement my original beat as a groove element.

I love to create my own beats from scratch. Because I don't like the idea of using a beat that has been (probably) (mis)used a 1000 times. And it gives me the possibility to tweak and EQ and put FX and change the sounds instantly to each drum sound individually, without touching the rest.

But this is my work flow. It suits my taste. Work as you want to work as long as you get the results you want There is no must
Yeah absolutely me too. I used loops for a short while but found the whole thing stifling. You're there worrying about that delay from one hit mixing into the next, and the chopped beats never being clean enough, all that malarkey. Making your own beats, taking your time getting it right, is the only way to go. Drums dont have to be super flash, just sound right. Sometimes nice n simple is perfect.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
My question is if I am buying a professional pack of drum loops can I assume that it won't need EQing anyway? Or is separating the drum loop a must in any case?
EQ isn't to do with whether something is a 'professional pack' or not, its to do with context, so I wouldn't assume that at all. Doesn't mean eq-ing a drum loop in split separates is a must though. I have never done that. I guess it depends what you use the loop as. General practice (from what I have seen ) is to use loops as garnish behind single hit corners (kick snare, etc) for gluey flow, but not for the main corners. For this you don't really want to pull it apart. Or slice the kick, snare etc out of one or more loops and then program a new beat and then obviously you would eq them separately. But just running a loop as your whole main beat is a bit on the lame side anyway.......IMHO
Old 12th September 2011
PS: With more experience, you get your own individual beats in a very short time. I believe it doesn't take me more time than looking for the right loops. But I'll be able to rearrange each sound with one click or swap single sounds instantly
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

For house,trance,electro i've always done the beats from scratch but lately i've been trying to do breakbeat and it's harder to get the samples to feel like they all come from the same place.

Anyways i'll give it a shot and try to get them to flow. Probably will save me grief in the long run.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
For house,trance,electro i've always done the beats from scratch but lately i've been trying to do breakbeat and it's harder to get the samples to feel like they all come from the same place.

Anyways i'll give it a shot and try to get them to flow. Probably will save me grief in the long run.
I'd say that's a matter of experience. The more breakbeats you do, the faster you'll get the right results. If I had to do breakbeats now, it would take probably a whole day and the next day it still would feel not right heh You can not be good at everything (at once)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sometimes I slice my drum loop to MIDI so that I can separately EQ the hi hats, kicks, percussion ect. but I like working with audio better because I can time stretch certain hits and gate things much easier.

You can also EQ things if chopped up as audio. This is my preferred way of working- using all audio files as opposed to MIDI. For me I feel I have way more editing control when chopping things apart.

As to your question, I don't think it's safe to assume anything until you hear how the final sound in question fits sonically with the entire song it's a part of.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
You can also EQ things if chopped up as audio. This is my preferred way of working- using all audio files as opposed to MIDI. For me I feel I have way more editing control when chopping things apart.
Interesting... how comes you feel more control over audio than samples? What do you do with a open hihat, that's too long?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search