The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Feeding one FX input from two sources. Can I make a Y cable? Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Feeding one FX input from two sources. Can I make a Y cable?

Hello all,

Up to recently I've used a Yamaha O2R with the six AUX sends feeding the stereo inputs of three TC Fireworx processors. I ran out of channels on the O2r so I've purchase a MOTU 24io to pick up the slack. The trouble is I want gear connected to the MOTU to have the ability to be fed through the Effects also. How can I achieve this in the most simple and economic way possible?

One thought I had was instead of run cables direct from the O2r aux outs to the Fireworx, I could run them through the MOTU first and then back out to the effects. Two issues with this though (other than expensive cable costs). 1. Anything on the 02r that was accessing the Effects directly is now getting an extra set of A/D conversion. 2. I loose 6 of the 24 channels on the 24io. Kind of defeats the purpose of getting the extra inputs.

So, I am wondering. Can I leave the AUX cables from the O2r as they are; connected directly to the inputs of the FX. THEN, make a Y cable. Basically both the MOTU 24io outputs and O2R Aux outputs would meet together to connect to the single input on the effects unit. Does this make sense?

Please let me know if this is possible and if so how I should wire up the Y cable.

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Unfortunately, the impedances of the two sources will load each other down, I don't suggest even trying it. You'd need some kind of a mixer to sum the signals.
Old 12th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Y cable is not a good idea. If you want to feed multiple (2?) outputs into one input, then you should be using a simple mixer circuit. A circuit like this is pretty easy to make, and can be done to a good quality for a low cost, if you're able.

What software are you running on your computer? I think you could probably configure your MOTU outs as aux sends, and mix your multiple send channels in the box. That way you could have some aux sends from your O2R, and some aux sends from your MOTU, only they wouldn't be shared. Or, if you only need to share a couple of the sends, use a cheapo line mixer.

Does that help? I think I understood what you were asking.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Y cable is not a good idea. If you want to feed multiple (2?) outputs into one input, then you should be using a simple mixer circuit. A circuit like this is pretty easy to make, and can be done to a good quality for a low cost, if you're able.

What software are you running on your computer? I think you could probably configure your MOTU outs as aux sends, and mix your multiple send channels in the box. That way you could have some aux sends from your O2R, and some aux sends from your MOTU, only they wouldn't be shared. Or, if you only need to share a couple of the sends, use a cheapo line mixer.

Does that help? I think I understood what you were asking.
Yeah. I was planning on using 6 of the MOTU's outs as sends. I can adjust the send levels ITB. The issue is physically connecting both the MOTU outs AND the O2R aux sends to the single LR inputs of the Firworx. So no go for a Y cable? Are there some diodes I could put in line or something? I'm not sure how this works.

What I'm trying to do is kind of like using the FX send of two mixers to share one FX processor.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well you can try anyway.. It depends on impedance of connected equipment, but I've summed by ways of Y-cord before because I was forced to, and sometimes it worked okay..
This was for intercom stuff though, so I do not know how fidelity was affected..
Old 12th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Are there some diodes I could put in line or something? I'm not sure how this works.
Try using a non interacting summer circuit. You can do this with one quad op-amp chip per stereo pair, plus some caps, resistors and a simple linear supply.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Would an inexpensive patchbay work in this situation?
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Would an inexpensive patchbay work in this situation?
No.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search