The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where do you start? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The OP has a lot to learn. If they're serious and dedicated (most people are not), they will begin to consume vast amounts of information, listen to a ton of music, watch videos, learn how to play an instrument and just digest all that they can which relates to the area which they need to learn about. There are no easy shortcuts.

I also like Beermaster's advice.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

A beginners piano method wouldn't go a stray.

But most importantly - Train your ear.

Google: "movable-do solfege"

"movable do solfege" - Google Search
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Morechips is a foodie...that's cool. it's very much like making music. But as Beer mentioned.. you can save a lot of time getting some foundation and basic proven technical knowledge. that allows you to get there faster.. And like creating cuisine, a lot also depends on inherent talent and inspiration. Music has one more component though... it's the ear. You have that or you don't. At the end of the day, Albert Einstein once said "genius is 99% hard work" SO, he had an exceptional mind,, and also had the brains to recognize that raw talent alone isn't enough.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Music has one more component though... it's the ear. You have that or you don't.
Incorrect.

If the ears can hear, they can be trained musically.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

You don't say where on the planet you are but if in the USA, I would seriously consider a beginning piano course at a local community college. It would provide a structured approach toward learning music theory and keyboard skills.

Rudimentary subtractive synth programming can be taught in a few hours. Understanding and developing good playing skills takes years. If you're serious, start with the hard stuff first and the rest will be easy in comparison.

Having the balls to plowing through an entire piano course from beginning to end will also serve to find out if you're truly serious or not, in case you're not sure. It's really the best place to start and will serve you the rest of your life.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

What helped me a lot was to pick a generic song format and start off slowly then just keep adding things.

I used ABCAB, make each one 4 bars to start off with. Start with the drums first, get to know the basic hihat, kick and snare positions, make each one a little different for each pattern. Then add a bass sound you like. Something simple like 1/16th notes on C2 would work. same thing change slightly for each part. Then do the same with a lead.

Learn that first along with the theory. Once you've got that down, move onto mixing, mastering and effects. Lastly, i'd worry about sound design, which you don't have to do if you don't want to. There's a whole market around presets.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
What helped me a lot was to pick a generic song format and start off slowly then just keep adding things.
That sounds a lot like how I work. I mess around getting a sound or a bunch of sounds and than just keep adding to a basic structure. Beacause I can't play to well I tend to record my ideas into Cubase and then tidy them up a bit by altering the note lengths and timings manually.

Then I can sit back and decide where it should go next. Unless it's a 3 minute track I like the idea of changing how the track evolves.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Everyone's advice on where to start may be different but that doesn't make any of those points less valid, Different things will work for different people.
You will have more experience of which learning structure works best for you than anyone here so tailor the feedback received to your needs.
If piano lessons are affordable, locally available and appeal to you then go for it! It would be a great asset.

If your happy to read music theory books then get them, read them, then read them again.
On the other hand if you know deep down they wont get read and just left on a shelf, hold on to your cash (or give it to me).

Why not find a song you like that's been covered / re-created in Ableton (lots on the tube) and work through following the process, It could be argued that your just copying but in doing this you will pick up a few things and some of the controls may appear less intimidating.
Now start a new track using your favorite synth patch from the song but write your own bass or lead part, It probably wont sound right as part of programming a patch is getting it to work with the sequence of notes your playing.
At some point your natural curiosity for what things do and why will need to kick in and you can start to edit and shape the patch to your sequence, It won't get you much cred with the pro's but Its a start and didn't cost you anything, What you do after that is up to you.

I've yet to take a giant leaps in learning music, It just seems to come along in lots of little lessons, some harder than others but most of all it should be fun.

Good luck
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitseK View Post
how do you start as an electronic music producer, if you know absolutely nothing about music/electronics?
The electronics part is easy, just use presets until you know what you're doing

The music part is harder...to make music you need to know something about it! Like what melody, harmony and rhythm are for starters

I feel bad for youngsters, when I was a kid we were taught how to read music in elementary school and had a music teacher in class once a week to play the piano while we sang along.

There are plenty of music tutorials out there in books and online.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search